Cloudbreak what the fvck

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Only way to compare properly would be to look at the injury numbers in proportion to the number of surfers out on those waves. Way more people out at Pipe on a daily basis. Imagine if Teahupoo had as many surfers as Pipe?! Maybe Pipe would still be the more dangerous waves as it's way more unpredictable, but just a thought.
Yeah sure.

I'm just saying as a rationale it fails miserably.

Pipe has injured, seriously, many people in competition and yet they still hold contests there.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Yeah sure.

I'm just saying as a rationale it fails miserably.

Pipe has injured, seriously, many people in competition and yet they still hold contests there.
Wouldn't it also be fair to say that injuries (even serious ones or deaths) aren't necessarily happening in big surf?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
All the rationales for not holding competition that day are extremely weak.

Oh, they didn't have the boards - BS, they had more than a week to get boards organised, the big wave guys all offered guns for use. Mate, if recreational surfers can get boards organised to surf 15ft Cloudbreak than pro surfers can

Oh, they had no idea the wind was going to switch- BS, the weak, troughy pattern was f/cast days in advance - those patterns are what you want for giant CB (as opposed to a strong trade pattern)

Oh, there was no way they could catch waves out there- um, except they could and did

Oh, how could we possibly score them in massive perfect reef surf- FMD, not even worthy of a response

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Wouldn't it also be fair to say that injuries (even serious ones or deaths) aren't necessarily happening in big surf?
Yeah, and?

People die in small surf from heart attacks, strokes, aneurysms every single day.
They get hit by their boards etc etc.

That weakens the argument that the surf was too dangerous because it was big.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Oh, they didn't have the boards - BS, they had more than a week to get boards organised, the big wave guys all offered guns for use. Mate, if recreational surfers can get boards organised to surf 15ft Cloudbreak than pro surfers can

Oh, they had no idea the wind was going to switch- BS, the weak, troughy pattern was f/cast days in advance - those patterns are what you want for giant CB (as opposed to a strong trade pattern)

Oh, there was no way they could catch waves out there- um, except they could and did

Oh, how could we possibly score them in massive perfect reef surf- FMD, not even worthy of a response
You seem to feel strongly about this.

It was a decade ago. Let it go, mate.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Yeah, and?

People die in small surf from heart attacks, strokes, aneurysms every single day.
They get hit by their boards etc etc.

That weakens the argument that the surf was too dangerous because it was big.
I was expecting you to debunk my comment and not to agree 100% with me after that "Yeah, and?". :roflmao:

health issues aside, I always heard that Pipe is particularly dangerous when it's head high looking fun and playful.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

Remember that old Margs comp (late 80s or early 90s?) when it got huge, and one guy had a 7'4 or something. They all borrowed it for their heats.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Yes I do.

This idea that pro surfers can't organise boards over 8ft when they are heading over to the best big wave on Planet Earth is, um.....deeply retarded.

I know pro surfers are intellectually challenged but Cloudbreak swells can be forecast at least a week in advance. They have coaches, managers, psychologists who they can outsource the cognitive work to if they can't watch purple blobs on a screen.

Back to the question: would they run on a big day or dog it? I think they would run mens.
And I think the pros would handle it, for the most part.

• Love
Reactions: PRCD and Maz

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Yes I do.

This idea that pro surfers can't organise boards over 8ft when they are heading over to the best big wave on Planet Earth is, um.....deeply retarded.

I know pro surfers are intellectually challenged but Cloudbreak swells can be forecast at least a week in advance. They have coaches, managers, psychologists who they can outsource the cognitive work to if they can't watch purple blobs on a screen.

Back to the question: would they run on a big day or dog it? I think they would run mens.
Brodie Carr.

Reactions: freeride76

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Yes I do.

yes

gabe would win. Or Jjf or Jack. But mainly Gabe.

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
Some of those take-offs look 'easy' enough for me to think I could paddle in on the right one.

The bottom turn and/or down the line stuff that follows the 'easy' take-offs, hmmm......

-Delusional Mr Doof out!
And the hold down after taking the lip on your head looks fun too