Closing due to LABOR SHORTAGE?

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Unemployment was nearly three times the current rate in April of last year. 14.8 vs. 5.2 now, which is pretty well within historical rates. So it doesn't seem like the problem can be boiled down solely to people deciding to leave the work force to mooch off the government.

Just spitballing here, but I would imagine a large part of that initial 14.8% unemployed were summarily fired by their service industry employers when the pandemic began. Maybe they realized that's a pretty shitty position to put themselves back into? Particularly with pandemic related issues continuing to be the news of the day. IDK. Could part of what we are seeing be a reorganization of the work force? It would be interesting to see if non-service related or more secure service oriented jobs have seen an influx of new applicants/workers.

Reactions: Aruka

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
If you get in the habit of not working that is your habit.

Momentum will push in that direction.

Also, those service jobs could expose you to covid more likely than if you stayed home.

Another variable to bias you to not working.

I was surprised at how many teachers chose to teach remotely still.

You save a ton of money.

Some are scared of getting covid.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The Chinese are still doing it ~ with wooden Junk's ... for centuries.
True, but they still be snortin’ ground rhino horn and eating shark fin soup to get it on, and they been doing THAT sh!t for thousands of years. Doesn’t mean imma convert my cuisinart into a rhino grinder any time soon, not when the blue steel comes in the mail, free shipping, for pennies on the dollah…sheeeyiiit

sorry. we’ve been binging the wire all week. the vernacular is catching

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I was surprised at how many teachers chose to teach remotely still.

You save a ton of money.

Some are scared of getting covid.
The teaching profession is a mixed bag.

A lot of people who teach don't have passion for it.

When you don't have passion for something going into work is such a drag.

Also a lot of teachers are trying to do some variation of #vanlife so they want remote learning to persist as long as possible.

If you are vaxxed and not moving on with your life because #scaredofcovid you should be taking LOA for psych issues or getting on a diet and exercise program.

Reactions: Havoc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Also a lot of teachers are trying to do some variation of #vanlife so they want remote learning to persist as long as possible.

If you are vaxxed and not moving on with your life because #scaredofcovid you should be taking LOA for psych issues or getting on a diet and exercise program.
It's been really good for me mentally to teach in person. I think it's really good for the kids too.

The admins have been treating teachers like crap for the last 10 years and I think that can bias some teachers to phoning it in.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
True, but they still be snortin’ ground rhino horn and eating shark fin soup to get it on, and they been doing THAT sh!t for thousands of years.

have they though?

my understanding was that the herbal medicine nonsense was a product of the maoist revolution and the lack of actual modern medicine and hardware....folksy back to the land lore to go with the people's revolution etc etc

Everything I know about skipjacks comes from reading Michener's Chesapeake,
so it might actually be a thing or two coz he covers skipjacks exhaustively. The running gun battles with Virginia fishermen were epic. A good read.
I'm reading Hawaii right now....it's gonzo!

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Just spitballing here, but I would imagine a large part of that initial 14.8% unemployed were summarily fired by their service industry employers when the pandemic began. Maybe they realized that's a pretty shitty position to put themselves back into?
When I see little food places and coffee shops with "now hiring cooks and cashiers" signs, I definitely think of this. You mean "now trying to re hire the people we let go on no notice a few months ago when the governor told us we aren't allowed to let people inside". Same problem existing, same people in charge, unless you're out of other options, putting yourself right back in the same spot so that when the weather gets colder and that greasy haired rat face decides to "mandate" more closures or curfews based on some freakin' secret metric...only if you have no other options and are facing living on the streets or something. Better off keeping expenses low and trying to find your own thing to do, let the bagel store owners make their own bagels and run their own counter. :shrug:

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

All of my favorite teachers got budget related pink slips, long before the pandemic. It's like the teaching industry doesn't like teachers who like being teachers. :(

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Everything I know about skipjacks comes from reading Michener's Chesapeake,
so it might actually be a thing or two coz he covers skipjacks exhaustively. The running gun battles with Virginia fishermen were epic. A good read.
Chesapeake is excellent - the way it opens describing how the millions of baby oysters feed on the nutrients washed into Chesapeake bay - the Turlocks with their huge boat mounted gun haunting the marshes... I've learned a lot about the world from Michener - Hawaii as afoaf said, Poland, Alaska, The Source, Space - I know there's many more I've read - mostly bought at thrift book stores when we were on vacation. Really great books, true to history but with entertaining characters to hold your interest.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
have they though?

my understanding was that the herbal medicine nonsense was a product of the maoist revolution and the lack of actual modern medicine and hardware....folksy back to the land lore to go with the people's revolution etc etc

I'm reading Hawaii right now....it's gonzo!
church fire HAWAII.JPG

HAWAII movie, 1966 ~
The sailors come ashore looking for grog and women, tired of Abner Hale and his preaching and trying to save all from the devil. The sailors blow through Lahaina town lighting it ablaze. Myself on the church (rt side) swatting away at flames lit by drunken sailors. The grass thatching gives way and I fall through the burning roof onto cardboard boxes and mattresses ~

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
View attachment 116857

HAWAII movie, 1966 ~
The sailors come ashore looking for grog and women, tired of Abner Hale and his preaching and trying to save all from the devil. The sailors blow through Lahaina town lighting it ablaze. Myself on the church (rt side) swatting away at flames lit by drunken sailors. The grass thatching gives way and I fall through the burning roof onto cardboard boxes and mattresses ~
I'm on the Abner Hale stuff right now

Hewlett just got voted out of the church and Whipple is going in to business with Janders

I'm doing my best to learn the way of the heathen....

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Chesapeake is excellent - the way it opens describing how the millions of baby oysters feed on the nutrients washed into Chesapeake bay - the Turlocks with their huge boat mounted gun haunting the marshes... I've learned a lot about the world from Michener - Hawaii as afoaf said, Poland, Alaska, The Source, Space - I know there's many more I've read - mostly bought at thrift book stores when we were on vacation. Really great books, true to history but with entertaining characters to hold your interest.
Louis L'Amour ~
read every one of his paper and hardbound books. Popular western movies were made from his writings. His travels took him worldwide. Neat, informative, distinct writer.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Louis L'Amour ~
read every one of his paper and hardbound books. Popular western movies were made from his writings. His travels took him worldwide. Neat, informative, distinct writer.
this is how I got in to Michener...my uncle read L'Amour, E Leonard, and Michener...and that was basically it

I haven't read Michener in a long time, though

Reactions: PJ and PPK96754

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Michener is às close as I ever got to a favorite author. I learned so much reading his stuff and I used to drink so I can and will Likely read these again. I read Chesapeake in high school, The Drifters shortly after followed by Mexico, Hawaii, The Caribbean and at least one more probably parts of several?

PPK that's you on the roof in that movie?!! Unreal!!

Reactions: PJ

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I'm on the Abner Hale stuff right now

Hewlett just got voted out of the church and Whipple is going in to business with Janders

I'm doing my best to learn the way of the heathen....
also a great read. didn't even know there was a movie, can't imagine it does the book justice. pretty much everything i know about Hawaii comes either that book or this forum :cheers:

Reactions: PJ