Closing due to LABOR SHORTAGE?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'm in my early 20s. I'm at my sister's house and her husband's step mom is there. She has a big house in the hills in Glendora and condo in Oceanside and drives a Mecedes.

So she is over there complaining about not having any money for the entire time.

Suddenly, we see out the window my VW rabbit rolling down the street. There was no curb so I couldn't park against it.

I go running out and my car has rolled across the street. I re-park it. No harm done.

I come inside and step mom says, "What happened?"

I said, "Oh the emergency brake doesn't work."

She says, "Why wouldn't you fix that?"

I said, "Like you, I am currently have some money problems."

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Boss you've played golf with me, what do you think about gothic script bicep tats on each arm, I was thinking one will be Hooker and one will be Slicer?
perfect. just make sure you put them in the correct order, lest people get the impression you like slicing hookers :ban:

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
a few ironic notes about this replica of the "Pilgrim"... The sunken ship in the photo was built in Denmark in 1945 as a 3-masted schooner used in the Baltic commercial trade. In 1975, it was cut down to a 2-masted Brig rig in Portugal, and was thereafter purchased by the Ocean Institute of Dana Point CA (yup, named after my ancestor) in 1981 and transformed into a "near" replica of the Pilgrim, used for decades as a floating classroom and historical treasure. It sank at it's dock slip last year, as seen in the above photo. As far as I have read, they deemed it beyond salvage, and were going to haul it out into dry dock to see what, if anything, could be done with it. That was last year during the worst of the pandemic, so I don't actually know where the replica is right now. Maybe one of you San Clemente guys knows?

Last edited:
Reactions: PJ and Joshua2415

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
a few ironic notes about this replica of the "Pilgrim"... The sunken ship in the photo was built in Denmark in 1945 as a 3-masted schooner used in the Baltic commercial trade. In 1975, it was cut down to a 2-masted Brig rig in Portugal, and was thereafter purchased by the Ocean Institute of Dana Point CA (yup, named after my ancestor) in 1981 and transformed into a "near" replica of the Pilgrim, used for decades as a floating classroom and historical treasure. It sank at it's dock slip last year, as seen in the above photo. As far as I have read, they deemed it beyond salvage, and were going to haul it out into dry dock to see what, if anything, could be done with it. That was last year during the worst of the pandemic, so I don't actually know where the replica is right now. Maybe one of you San Clemente guys knows?
She was dismantled and hauled away in pieces. That's my brother in law's crane in the photo, which was day one when they thought they could raise her. Sad ending...

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
She was dismantled and hauled away in pieces. That's my brother in law's crane in the photo, which was day one when they thought they could raise her. Sad ending...
Sad indeed, but hell, she had a good run, and there is a very good reason we build our ships with steel and fiberglass instead of wood nowadays
:bricks:

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Looks like the Roseway which comes down here to St.Croix every year: https://worldoceanschool.org/get-on-board/about-roseway

I had a chance to sail on the USCG Eagle when I was in the Coast Guard Academy https://www.uscga.edu/about-eagle/. It was amazing! But it was on that trip that I realized I sold my soul to the devil and quickly exited the CGA to have a much more fun filled college life.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This morning in Rhode Island. Our usual diner we’ve been going to is closed 3 days a week due to a staff shortage with a sign posted looking for servers and a cook. We went on to pick up bagels for guests we’re having tomorrow and this sign was posted in the window…
View attachment 116759

Feeling it a lot more out here than in Los Angeles.

So really, WTF is going on here?

It's like a large segment of the employed vanished Anasazi styley.

At first I was buying the "competitive wages" story - that workers were going elsewhere where the wages are more competitive and the bosses aren't as shitty.

But every business out there stll seems to be begging for help.

More and more I think the only explanation here is people - especially young people - have found ways not to work and are living at home with parents.

Also, the teenage labor pool has shrunk because a lot of people in generation whatever don't want to work.

Or did that many Boomers suddenly retire from doing counter service at bagel shops?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
So really, WTF is going on here?

It's like a large segment of the employed vanished Anasazi styley.

At first I was buying the "competitive wages" story - that workers were going elsewhere where the wages are more competitive and the bosses aren't as shitty.

But every business out there stll seems to be begging for help.

More and more I think the only explanation here is people - especially young people - have found ways not to work and are living at home with parents.

Also, the teenage labor pool has shrunk because a lot of people in generation whatever don't want to work.

Or did that many Boomers suddenly retire from doing counter service at bagel shops?
all of the above caused by structural problem in our society and economy.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
all of the above caused by structural problem in our society and economy.
My wife had multiple colleagues quit this year.

3 out of the 4 that quit are sitting around with a thumb up their ass.

They had it pretty good were they were working.

What structural problem would this indicate?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
My wife had multiple colleagues quit this year.

3 out of the 4 that quit are sitting around with a thumb up their ass.

They had it pretty good were they were working.

What structural problem would this indicate?
Hard to answer particular anecdotes, what does your wife do for work? I will guess they really did not need the money and were unhappy with working conditions causing a malaise and they said fook it. On a macro scale it goes to our addiction to low wage labor and our need to treat that labor poorly.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Hard to answer particular anecdotes, what does your wife do for work?
Teacher at a private school.

They have it pretty good there - plenty of administrative support.

10% match on their retirement plan is not bad either.

I will guess they really did not need the money and were unhappy with working conditions causing a malaise and they said fook it. On a macro scale it goes to our addiction to low wage labor and our need to treat that labor poorly.
All were making around 60K/year. No kids.

Their positions were quickly filled.

If they "really did not need the money" I'm not sure that shows wages are too low.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Teacher at a private school.

They have it pretty good there - plenty of administrative support.

10% match on their retirement plan is not bad either.

All were making around 60K/year. No kids.

Their positions were quickly filled.

If they "really did not need the money" I'm not sure that shows wages are too low.
In this case accurate, if positions were filled there is no labor shortage. What is your view on the issue?