City Officials at the 'Bu Accused of Tearing Down Beach Access Signs

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
In CA by law the the beach is public property below the mean high tide line, and the public has the right to access that beach. There are some exceptions - military bases and such. We all voted overwhelmingly for it, Prop. 20.
Yes, but there has to be a sign? You have to have access right here instead of 1/2 mile over there? You have to have parking?

Like I’ve always said regarding the ranch. It’s open. All of the beaches there are open to the public and always have been. It’s just hasn’t been accessible by car.

Every single beach in California is open. Some are just harder to get to than others and I have no problem with that.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Privilege and entitlement.

it’s not just Malibu, similar battles are waged on coastlines all across the country. I remember people fighting over access to town beaches in Greenwich connecticut for non-residents as a teen and the town making non-residents jump through insane hoops to get passes when they lost. I think if you’re a non-resident you have to go to city hall during limited hours to secure a one day pass in advance that’s only good on a specific date. sh!t like that.

This is going on next to the town beach where I grew up in Rhode Island…

We always crossed the town beach line to drink where there were no lifeguards and open containers weren’t enforced. Here’s a couple pics of me and my old man on that beach more than 40yrs ago…

IMG_8593.jpegIMG_8594.jpeg

If you look in the background it was all basic working class vacation homes. They were almost entirely summer rentals and nobody gave a fuck about coastal access. Parking was limited but the beach was for anyone who could find their way their. Now it looks more like the Hamptons and there are a bunch of rich motherfuckers who can afford not to rent their mansions out to summer rentals and think they’re gonna tell me I can’t be on the same beach I’ve been going to my entire life.

IMG_8595.jpeg

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

it’s not just Malibu, similar battles are waged on coastlines all across the country. I remember people fighting over access to town beaches in Greenwich connecticut for non-residents as a teen and the town making non-residents jump through insane hoops to get passes when they lost. I think if you’re a non-resident you have to go to city hall during limited hours to secure a one day pass in advance that’s only good on a specific date. sh!t like that.

We always crossed the town beach line to drink where there were no lifeguards and open containers weren’t enforced. Here’s a couple pics of me and my old man on that beach more than 40yrs ago…

View attachment 158260View attachment 158261

If you look in the background it was all basic working class vacation homes. They were almost entirely summer rentals and nobody gave a fuck about coastal access. Parking was limited but the beach was for anyone who could find their way their. Now it looks more like the Hamptons and there are a bunch of rich motherfuckers who can afford not to rent their mansions out to summer rentals and think they’re gonna tell me I can’t be on the same beach I’ve been going to my entire life.

View attachment 158262
Cool story bro. Given how easy and legal beach access in SoCal, absolutely zero comparison.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019

View attachment 158260View attachment 158261

View attachment 158262
Hamptons has like unlimited beach access for residents

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
When I reply to specific posts I quote the post to signify I’m addressing that post.

When I post a stand alone I’m making a general statement.
for surfers, Malibu is generally sh!t. Go to Zuma to ogle valley chicks in summer and that’s about the beginning and end of the appeal. 3rd point sucks, Leo sucks, Dume is average, all the state beaches are sh!t. Overall it’s one of the worst beach cities in California.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Your profile says PNW. Maybe Oregon? Do you fellas post signs pointing to your spots?
I already said my comment wasn't about the signs. Who even uses signs anymore? Everyone has google maps.

I know dealing with the unwashed masses sucks but the alternative of allowing private landowners to restrict access is far worse in my opinion.

We have a spot up here that's been accessible for as long as I can remember. It's generally not a great wave but it's one of the few spots that is clean on south winds and handles huge winter swells. There is only the one slippery, muddy trail on the entire cliffy section. A couple years ago a new owner bought all the land around it and put up a fence and no trespassing signs.

I suppose since someone could paddle a half mile around the headland through 20 foot closeouts to get to the beach by Duffy logic there is still beach access.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA

View attachment 158260

For a moment there I thought $kully was raised by Lieutenant Frank Serpico, NYPD :)

Some of the access laws have interesting origins - for instance along the East side of the Hudson River in NY North of Manhattan there is a railroad right on the river but river access across the railroad was guaranteed primarily for subsistence fishing.

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The stretch of beach in question is not a surf spot and there are public access beaches adjacent. Zuma is right there and has a miles long parking lot. I think this was about local residents trying to reserve some very limited street parking spots. City was probably responding to constituent requests. My guess is the city has jurisdiction over street signage.

Vals go home!

Reactions: Mayor1 and kawika

Al Soldano

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 18, 2002
Pleasantville
for surfers, Malibu is generally sh!t. Go to Zuma to ogle valley chicks in summer and that’s about the beginning and end of the appeal. 3rd point sucks, Leo sucks, Dume is average, all the state beaches are sh!t. Overall it’s one of the worst beach cities in California.
I'm glad you deny the long workable rights of Latigo.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
From my understanding coastal access laws are just about access. They don’t guarantee that there’s free and abundant parking etc. I do think there’s a fine line that has to be walked to manage crowds. I understand they can be an inconvenience, create noise disturbances and litter, etc. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a municipality to take measures to moderate the convenience of access. Every path to access the beach doesn’t need a parking lot that can hold 50 plus cars. There are things cities can do such as issue permitted parking only leaving room for a handful of a non-permitted cars to park at coastal access paths at any given time. Which I’m sure is already happening in many beach side neighborhoods.

But reading the article about Malibu it’s hard to believe that the city just acted unilaterally to take down these signs. It’s pretty obvious that some Karen’s brought the signs to the attention of members of the city council. The whole “safety” argument of the breakaway poles seems a bit contrived, like they found a loophole to get rid of signs that they didn’t want. Do you think if a restaurant or business erected a sign on the side of the road the city would make them take it down for safety concerns that it wasn't breakaway if a car hit it?

Pretty sure this sign isn't breaking away if someone hits it...

istockphoto-467520208-1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PJ and Aruka

CJSB

Nep status
Apr 8, 2009
Santa Barbara
sure. open it up to the public or turn it into a reserve and keep everyone out.
It's an active cattle ranch, with 100's of landowners, it is not a preserve of any nature. There are stretches of beaches set up as coastal preserves, but that is it. Those portions of the sand are already publicly owned, and generally accessible to all who really want to get out there.