City Officials at the 'Bu Accused of Tearing Down Beach Access Signs

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The coast should be accessible to everyone. But not everything has to be easy and/or spoon-fed to the masses - a little walking never hurt anyone. Besides, the more you work on the search/quest towards a new adventure, the greater the reward.

And yes, if you're creative, there are very empty spots in Malibu city that are quite off the beaten track - admittedly finicky as hell but very fun when they work.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
From my understanding coastal access laws are just about access. They don’t guarantee that there’s free and abundant parking etc. I do think there’s a fine line that has to be walked to manage crowds. I understand they can be an inconvenience, create noise disturbances and litter, etc. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a municipality to take measures to moderate the convenience of access. Every path to access the beach doesn’t need a parking lot that can hold 50 plus cars. There are things cities can do such as issue permitted parking only leaving room for a handful of a non-permitted cars to park at coastal access paths at any given time. Which I’m sure is already happening in many beach side neighborhoods.

But reading the article about Malibu it’s hard to believe that the city just acted unilaterally to take down these signs. It’s pretty obvious that some Karen’s brought the signs to the attention of members of the city council. The whole “safety” argument of the breakaway poles seems a bit contrived, like they found a loophole to get rid of signs that they didn’t want. Do you think if a restaurant or business erected a sign on the side of the road the city would make them take it down for safety concerns that it wasn't breakaway if a car hit it?

Pretty sure this sign isn't breaking away if someone hits it...
Access typically assumes people can easily access the access point.

Reactions: sussle

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
you can just walk on the beach, you dont need to park your truck on it - you can still do this today

people drove through the parking lot on to the beach, now you just need to leave your car in the lot

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
From my understanding coastal access laws are just about access. They don’t guarantee that there’s free and abundant parking etc. I do think there’s a fine line that has to be walked to manage crowds. I understand they can be an inconvenience, create noise disturbances and litter, etc. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a municipality to take measures to moderate the convenience of access. Every path to access the beach doesn’t need a parking lot that can hold 50 plus cars. There are things cities can do such as issue permitted parking only leaving room for a handful of a non-permitted cars to park at coastal access paths at any given time. Which I’m sure is already happening in many beach side neighborhoods.

But reading the article about Malibu it’s hard to believe that the city just acted unilaterally to take down these signs. It’s pretty obvious that some Karen’s brought the signs to the attention of members of the city council. The whole “safety” argument of the breakaway poles seems a bit contrived, like they found a loophole to get rid of signs that they didn’t want. Do you think if a restaurant or business erected a sign on the side of the road the city would make them take it down for safety concerns that it wasn't breakaway if a car hit it?

Pretty sure this sign isn't breaking away if someone hits it...

View attachment 158281
That sign is in ventura county.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
That's in Ventura. Maybe different laws, being Central California and all...
Sure but the point still stands. Do you disagree that residents likely got on the horn with a councilman about those signs or a councilman themselves lived in the area. Do you really believe that it’s a structural safety issue with the signs? That’s way too convenient.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I propose a Napoleonic solution to Los Angeles county - a reconquista if you will. The breakwalls at the port of Long Beach and Santa Monica must be dismantled. The sand situation at Malibu fixed and order in the line-up restored. The near-shore bathymetry must be improved in South Los Angeles. We must manfully fix the situation.

I'm kidding, if you want me to be. But we're basically France in 1793. :monkey:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
No your point sucks ass. Not only is that sign in a different jurisdiction, it’s located in a spot where there is a lot more room for error while driving.

Nice try, though.
so yes, you actually believe that the signs were removed due to safety concerns? Or are you just being yourself?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Assuming he has surfed at least a few times in the last couple years, he's probably in the top 10% of that lineup. :roflmao:

Good ol' County Valley... can't say I miss it although I did check it when down there last. :roflmao:
That place can make average surfers like me be the best guy out. Kook city.

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish