City Officials at the 'Bu Accused of Tearing Down Beach Access Signs

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
"The accusations started on Friday evening when the Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority (MRCA) — a public agency dedicated to preserving parklands and coastal access in and around Los Angeles — accused the city of Malibu of tearing down its signs directing visitors to “hidden” public beaches along the famous coastline."

Mayor1

Michael Peterson status
Aug 15, 2005
i would never think mayor1 would do that. his friends, though. !!!
Actually the City did it. I'm a little old for vandalism. But I will say this about the MRCA- fuck them! Another calif govt agency with too much power and unlimited funds. They try to open access and then do nothing about managing the access points and thus beaches get trashed and littered and grafitti etc.. If they had their way, and they tried, they would allow fires in the camping spots they have opened up and drunk idiots would start the next inferno. Joe Edminston is the power hungry head of the MRCA and I wish he would go sup'ing at niagra falls

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
A surfer in favor of restricting beach access.

Good ol' Duffy!
He kinda has a point. It's not like there is a shortage of beach access in SoCal. Removing signs is not the same thing as blocking off access points, the latter of which I would be opposed to.

There was a similar controversy about Privates in Capitola. A bunch of people whined that it was unfair to have to pay $50/year for a key because some lower income or out of town people can't afford it (yet they can afford the gas to drive there, oddly :unsure: ), whereas 5-10 minutes in both directions there are plenty of ocean/beach access points and parking areas.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
He kinda has a point. It's not like there is a shortage of beach access in SoCal. Removing signs is not the same thing as blocking off access points, the latter of which I would be opposed to.

There was a similar controversy about Privates in Capitola. A bunch of people whined that it was unfair to have to pay $50/year for a key because some lower income or out of town people can't afford it (yet they can afford the gas to drive there, oddly :unsure: ), whereas 5-10 minutes in both directions there are plenty of ocean/beach access points and parking areas.
his post was below the story surf-shot posted about rich people blocking public beach access for 15 years.

maybe i'm mistaken in thinking that his post was in reference to that post.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
A surfer in favor of restricting beach access.

Good ol' Duffy!
I’m “in favor” of restricting beach access.

I just find it a little disingenuous when a beach access activist group goes out of its way to find “hidden” beaches and complain about lack of access.

Also, lack of a sign doesn’t mean lack of access.

As a surfer I favor this….

…over this…

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
his post was below the story surf-shot posted about rich people blocking public beach access for 15 years.
When I reply to specific posts I quote the post to signify I’m addressing that post.

When I post a stand alone I’m making a general statement.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

People insist on public car access to Hollister ranch even though the people who sued for it have to drive by 25 miles of open access, undeveloped beaches to get to the ranch.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
i bitch as much as anybody about restrictive access type spots. just rubs it the wrong way.

esp government/public institution/wealthy fuck type restrictions.

but the reality in california at least, is if wasnt a pita to surf it would be kookcentral every surfline fair to good day. so i'll leave it as is and macgyver some work around and surf them despite what the sheeple think is doable