Christian Fletcher vs Shaun Tomson

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
16? lol. This I did not know. Over and done people. I've run into people I got into full-on fights with in the water and at this point, I'm happy to see they're alive.
Sharky coming in with the mature and compassionate approach...

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
Shaun and I live in the same neighborhood, one of my sons went to school with his youngest, and I know him well through CI. Seen him burn at Rincon, (like many do).
He's definitely got a rep with many of taking too many waves.

Contrast the local wave in our 'hood he calls "a gentleman's wave." Can't recall ever seeing him burn someone there in 25 years. I've seen him pass on sets for the neighborhood crew often.
He'll even speak to someone who is jumping rotation and refer to said "gentleman's wave" and the rotation method.

Maybe it's certain waves? NIMBY?

Reactions: JDJ and urchined

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I've seen Shaun out a couple of times and when it comes to etiquette he's no worse than any other pro (which is generally not good, BTW). I don't know him personally but do know a couple of people who do and they all report he's a super nice guy. IDK anything about Christian Fletcher except I don't think he lives anywhere around here. Which leads to the question, where did the incident that prompted the OP's post occur? It just might be that location matters.

Slabsplease

OTF status
Mar 5, 2015
I think at times, when a "known" surfer enters the lineup he/she will be on the lineup's radar and more prone to be judged via proper/improper expectations (pending the psychology and tendencies of the individuals in the water). If a "nobody" showed up or a "common guy/gal/local" and caught the same amount of waves no one would notice/care "as much"...notoriety/scrutiny is the cause in a lot of these situations...but not all.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Good behavior and respect aren't that complicated. Even if the lineup is full-on, Lord of the Fies becoming one more turd in the water is just that, becoming the biggest douche is even more so.
Thinking pros and ex-pros are overly criticized:roflmao: for their behavior:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Shaun and I live in the same neighborhood, one of my sons went to school with his youngest, and I know him well through CI. Seen him burn at Rincon, (like many do).

Contrast the local wave in our 'hood he calls "a gentleman's wave." Can't recall ever seeing him burn someone there in 25 years. I've seen him pass on sets for the neighborhood crew often.
He'll even speak to someone who is jumping rotation and refer to said "gentleman's wave" and the rotation method.

I alway laugh when hear about getting burned at Rincon.

Whahhhh! Shaun dropped in on me at Rincon!!! Whaaaahhhh!

Um, it’s Rincon. That’s how people get waves at Rincon. Shaun is just better than others at burning people.

Plus, it’s shaun Thompson. You get burned by a known pro you remember it. You get burned by some nobody it gets forgotten.

Youll never see threads here saying “that Duffy guy burned me at Ledbetter!!!!”

As for that “neighborhood spot”. I dont surf there often but I know how it works and I’ve seen what you describe re Shaun.

I think what triggers people the most is his whole surf etiquette persona contrasting with his ruthlessness at Rincon.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com

What neighborhood is that?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
duff n ando playing apologist
Nope. Just telling it how it is. The reason why I don’t surf rincon much is because you get burned and you have to burn others. I don’t like either one of those. To call out one individual for being a burner at rincon is just silly. People get burned at rincon if they don’t rip. I’ve seen it play out over the years so many times.

Most spots if you blow a couple waves people will start to burn you. At rincon if you’re not hitting the lip when you should be hitting the lip that can be considered “blowing a wave.” Simply put, if youre on a HPSB and youre going straight down the line with your arms flailing around it’s very likely that you’re going to burned.

When I surf there, I paddle out and start taking waves immediately. If I go 10 minutes without a wave I’m out. I leave. I’ll get 4 or 5 then bail.

Like I said, ST is a prolific burner at rincon. He simply doesn’t even try to jockey for position. He just goes.

Reactions: Havoc

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Just saw this thread (been out fishing)
EVERYTHING the OP posted is true about our wonderful sweet bag of carmelized sugar transplant.
He and his douchnozzle cousin were THE WORST drop-in artist ever at Rincon, Legends:poop:

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I tuned in to the highlights of the final of the US Open and Pete Mel mentioned Justin Roberson. A name I can't say I've ever heard mentioned in WSL commentary. Now come clean.......which one of you lurkers is Pete Mel?????
If you lived on Maui the Roberson name is well known.