Chopes Right Hander in the Solomans?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Less mouth mount go-pro footage would be nice.
When you add in the drone footage and parts from the boat, he tells a story.

A lot of these vloggers lack a beginning middle and end to their content. It’s like they all flunked jr high English and while edited down in length and slow mo sections the story is still the same as RAW videos.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005

A lot of these vloggers lack a beginning middle and end to their content. It’s like they all flunked jr high English and while edited down in length and slow mo sections the story is still the same as RAW videos.
The video was mostly sloppy go pro footage of wave dodging. Which was wise under the circumstances.

But the video is interesting because that wave is gnarly. Not good conditions, because the wind was on it, but on a clean, big swell, that could be a right handed Chopes rival for sure.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
There's a lot of waves in the South Pacific like that- I've seen heaps of them with my own eyes.

Backless slabs where deepwater swells come onto shallow reefs and there is enough of a bend in the reef aspect to make it "peel".

Anyone who has sailed around reefs would know what I am talking about.

They are not rideable in any meaningful way.

Maybe the Florence brothers can make a wave.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
the chopes has a right to. some alex gray footy out there from a while back, longer than the left but morefickle. when it lines up, looks similiar to this one but makeable for a person like Alex.
I remember watching footage of Vetea David on the Chopes "right" back in the mid/late eighties....

Reactions: Joshua2415

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Reminds me of battling out through the non-stop hurricane swells as a kid at our local beach break. Once we got outside, we paddled around for a couple of hours but didn't actually ride any waves.

Reactions: stringcheese

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com

Agreed. He's equal parts qualified documentary filmmaker and Hellman. A very smart cat.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
That wave looks like it has a pretty consistent section that would be difficult to make. Maybe with cleaner conditions and a different swell angle?

Reactions: Boneroni

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Protip: if you're a side-sleeper on a rolling ship, you can wedge yourself between folded blankets to prop you up. Of course, the roll on those small ones is pretty bad depending on the swell angle.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
No more overrated experience than sleeping at sea in anything smaller than a cruise ship.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
No more overrated experience than sleeping at sea in anything smaller than a cruise ship.
Up until a couple of years ago I couldn't fall asleep on a boat. I'd do an overnight charter to the canyons and it was just impossible to sleep even if I tried. Now I can't keep my eyes open past 11:00.
I remember watching footage of Vetea David on the Chopes "right" back in the mid/late eighties....
The "Dark Fall" crew from my area followed Slater to a right near Chopes and filmed it in one of their movies. More like Rocky Point than Chopes though.

Reactions: mundus