Catastrophic Sea Level Rise

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
You’re talking about predicting the future. I’m fine if you don’t trust the models. Models aren’t perfect.

Grimsdad posted a meme suggesting there has been no sea level rise at all over the past century or so. Is that open for debate?
-Data shows that sea level has risen considerably over the last 50 years.

-The US Navy, ACOE, coastal engineers, NASA insurance companies, shipping companies, etc. will all tell you that they have had to adjust to the current conditions AND formulate contingency plans for the future.

-Dada shows more frequent and severe flooding from coastal storms

-GrossFlab disproves it all with an uncredited photo from teh interwebz.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
No- it shows that sea level rise is far slower than the hyperbolic estimates. It also shows that in many parts of the globe there is a decrease in sea level.

If you were to average out all of the figures, which make up the best dataset we have, it would probably be around 1 ft per century.
Estimates and historical data are different. Some people here think nothing has changed bc the saw pictures of the Statue of Liberty.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Agreed. Using any one single data point is dumb, which is the point I am making with using an average of all the datapoints to control for variations in land subsidence and other geological activity.
I don’t participate in global warming forecast discussions. I have no knowledge in this area. I just find it astonishing that Grobsberg would post a meme suggesting there has been no sea level rise in the past.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I don’t participate in global warming forecast discussions. I have no knowledge in this area. I just find it astonishing that Grobsberg would post a meme suggesting there has been no sea level rise in the past.
Two photographs is not a meme. Like I said, there is an extensive photographic record of fixed objects going back over 100 years along our coasts that call bullshit on the notion of catastrophic sea level rise. Don't believe your eyes. Just blindly believe what you're told. Its all man's fault to and only politicians can reverse it if only you'll submit. Don't question all of the predictions that have been wrong over the past 50 years made by people wishing to socially engineer or dig into the back pockets of taxpayers.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I think the discussion about predictions and projections is a red herring.

the more important discussion focuses on what are coastal cities and states, the Navy, ACOE, shipping ports, shipping companies, etc, doing to adjust to rising sea levels.

Take NJ and NY for example......how many homes are on stilts or are otherwise lifted since 2012?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
So I have nothing to worry about until I'm at least 130 years old. I hope we can reconvene on this topic here on this forum in the year 2100 to see if your source was right or wrong. I'll bet $1 the sea doesn't rise 3.5 feet.
Maybe?

How deep are your utilities and will the resulting higher water table affect them? Any environmental releases in your immediate area where contaminants could be mobilized?

It will be interesting to see how that plays out along the coastal areas.

Reactions: twinzerfan

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

Norfolk floods regularly now. The Navy is continually adapting to the new reality of sea level rise.

But maybe GrossFlab should show the US Navy some photos of Norfolk 100 years ago.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Two photographs is not a meme. Like I said, there is an extensive photographic record of fixed objects going back over 100 years along our coasts that call bullshit on the notion of catastrophic sea level rise. Don't believe your eyes. Just blindly believe what you're told. Its all man's fault to and only politicians can reverse it if only you'll submit. Don't question all of the predictions that have been wrong over the past 50 years made by people wishing to socially engineer or dig into the back pockets of taxpayers.
Lol.

I made no mention of “catastrophic sea level rise“ and specifically said I’m not even considering future models.

There is very clear data that the sea level has risen about 8 inches since the late 1800’s. That’s all I said. You think that’s untrue because of the Statue of Liberty.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Numbers and facts are hard for GrossBlob.

He only relies on random photos from the internet and his own FEEEEELLLZZ!!
Profound ignorance, belligerent stupidity, and Dunning-Kruger arrogance. Along with complete dishonesty and shameless hypocrisy sums up Grossdad.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
The thing is it doesn’t really matter what we think, or what the cause is at this point.

our grandchildren are going to inherit a vastly different planet, and I find that anyone who writes that off to be of poor moral character

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The thing is it doesn’t really matter what we think, or what the cause is at this point.

our grandchildren are going to inherit a vastly different planet, and I find that anyone who writes that off to be of poor moral character
Stupidity and greed won.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I think its questionable because those who make such claims have questionable credibility and motives and a horrific record when it comes to predicting the future.
and of course your credibility as a contrarian is impeccable....I mean, you don't have any obvious and overarching bias at all...pure as the wind driven snow and such

olololol

NordBot goes blarp bloop derp

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Our grandchildren will benefit from all of the advances we have made. Just look at how much better our lives are than our grandparents and great grandparents thanks largely to industrialization and fossil fuels.
At least they could eat fish from the ocean without worrying about mercury poisoning.

Come to think of it, now THAT is a form of reparations that everyone can get behind. All the worldwide industries that have contributed to the fouling of our oceans and fisheries, well, I'd suggest something in the multi-trillions geared completely toward mitigating all that contamination and winnowing out the bioaccumulated toxins, and replenishing the ocean, maybe even bringing the Black Sea to life!