Catalytic converters

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I’ve only seen them in street parking situations
We just got a letter from the city saying that someone saw some guys stealing a cat ( a few blcoks from where we live) and so he stopped and started honking his horn...and the suspects pulled guns and shot at him. In the letter the police were askng residents who had any sort of closed circuit cameras to assist and eventually register them with the PD so any time a crime happens in the area the PD could check them. Seems like a double edge sword from the privacy point of view.

"...suspect left going eastbound..." Fukkin inlanders.

Plywood and nails would be a good solution... but you'd have to move off it and drag it away every time you leave. Also, I wonder if they criminals would vandalize your car in retribution.

El Ogrow's 12 volts would be fun and I'm sure there are junctions with gaskets along the way, but then you'd have to deal with keeping a battery charged.

Keep the ideas coming though.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Wait, I got it! Kevlar blanket. Ever try to saw through kevlar? I'm thinking of raw, non laminated kevlar.

ps never mind , heat resistant up to 800 degrees. Might burn.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
We just got a letter from the city saying that someone saw some guys stealing a cat ( a few blcoks from where we live) and so he stopped and started honking his horn...and the suspects pulled guns and shot at him. In the letter the police were askng residents who had any sort of closed circuit cameras to assist and eventually register them with the PD so any time a crime happens in the area the PD could check them. Seems like a double edge sword from the privacy point of view.

Plywood and nails would be a good solution... but you'd have to move off it and drag it away every time you leave. Also, I wonder if they criminals would vandalize your car in retribution.

El Ogrow's 12 volts would be fun and I'm sure there are junctions with gaskets along the way, but then you'd have to deal with keeping a battery charged.

I would never give cops access to my security cameras without a warrant

Reactions: Ifallalot

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

A halfway decent sparky could figure out something for that in a heartbeat, the rest of the stuff too. The circuit isn’t open until it gets touched or something like that. I am dangerous with electrical stuff but it wouldn’t be rocket surgery to figure out.

Superglue or equivalent a bunch of appropriately sized fish hooks around the connections?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Hope you at least got some good BBQ at Gates, Q39 or Slaps..
2 out 3 and Jack Stack as well

One of the dads on the team rented out a whole room at Q39; it was some bomb sh!t.

I liked the dirty rudeness of Gates the best

Reactions: INDTUBE

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Jack stacks is good too - Yeah Gates is my favorite - Slaps is a new place and though it was excellent - give it try - its in KCK

If you want the original dirty sh!t - Arthur Bryan's Downtown.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
The bushwick method works pretty good for keeping your cat.
1.Get a viper or the like alarm system with remote start, have it set very sensitive.
2. Manage the alarm so it doesnt go off on the car but on your phone.

Alarm goes off on the phone turn your car on immediately.Follow up running out of your house with a bat in your boxers when it is 10 degrees out. sh!t fucker that slides under your car cant stay long when its turned on, usually spooks em pretty quick.

Frankie Bones

OTF status
May 6, 2002
Los Angeles, CA, USA
We were just at the Toyota dealer and he showed us 100 cars on the lot waiting for catalytic converters. He said it is such a big problem right now that it is a months long wait to get one. A new converter is well over $3000. He tried to sell us an anti theft shield for $700. Does this sound right? The extent of the problem, the wait time, the price?

:crazy2:
The dealer is trying to rip you off for $700. Find a local muffler shop who'll weld a rebar cage or plate to your car for $200-$300. They might even have a CAT if they ordered a supply up to 6 months ago.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I know I can google it, but I revel in my mechanical ignorance. I’ve heard of this “catalytic converter” all my life, yet don’t know what is so catalytic about this converter, I don’t know what it looks like, at all. I know it’s probably not the flux capacitor in that time travel documentary.
why does anything need converting and wtf catalytic

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I know I can google it, but I revel in my mechanical ignorance. I’ve heard of this “catalytic converter” all my life, yet don’t know what is so catalytic about this converter, I don’t know what it looks like, at all. I know it’s probably not the flux capacitor in that time travel documentary.
why does anything need converting and wtf catalytic
Here you go you lazy willfully ignorant bastard

and here’s the tldr
Money is the main reason catalytic converters are often stolen. They contain three metals that aid in the chemical reaction that makes exhaust pollutants less harmful: platinum, palladium and rhodium. The prices of these metals have risen dramatically during the early 21st century.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Thanks a you …I actually knew it scrubbed/cleaned exhaust, and roughly knew where it would be found, but knew nothing of the 3 precious metals found in them, hence their higher value to a thief as opposed to like, a muffler or whatever

and why not just call it a scrubber. Then the ignant thieves won’t think it’s so valuable with its fancy pants “catalytic converter“ moniker.

you guys are asking for it really

i don’t think our local petty idiots could even figure out how to remove one, let alone fence it for its true value. They would have a shotgun in their crotch before they got done watching the first instructional video

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Thanks a you …I actually knew it scrubbed/cleaned exhaust, and roughly knew where it would be found, but knew nothing of the 3 precious metals found in them, hence their higher value to a thief as opposed to like, a muffler or whatever

and why not just call it a scrubber. Then the ignant thieves won’t think it’s so valuable with its fancy pants “catalytic converter“ moniker.

you guys are asking for it really

i don’t think our local petty idiots could even figure out how to remove one, let alone fence it for its true value. They would have a shotgun in their crotch before they got done watching the first instructional video
Bro all it takes is a tweaked individual who knows what one looks like, has access to a cordless sawzall (angry grinder?) and knows what a scrap metal dealer is. You have minutes to catch them.

Reactions: Redeyes and Subway