Car totaled question

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I don't think it's that hard with classic cars in CA, but emissions would make it prohibitive with newer models that require smog checks.

Reactions: ElOgro

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The thought of a $65k starting price for a Trd Bro (tm) midsize truck w a 4 banger makes my head explode

If i was in market and buying new i'd scoop a 24 4runner sr5 while the NA v6 is still in there
I agree it's expensive, but do you really need a Pro? I've already seen dealers advertising 2k off MSRP for 2024 Tacomas and Tundras. They must not be selling as fast as they thought with the higher MSRP's.

On the flip side, I was messing around with an inflation calculator and saw that my 2018 4Runner price of $34k would be $42k in todays dollars. That's not too far off the equivalent 2025 4Runner price. It would be nice if my paycheck reflected that same increase though.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Other states, maybe

But California? good luck.
And money. Lots of both.

I had a Fiat 124 in the middle 70’s that was imported from Europe. I bought it after it had been legalized in California. The guy that had it imported didn’t worry about the cost as it was loaded with goodies from Afghanistan.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
And money. Lots of both.

I had a Fiat 124 in the middle 70’s that was imported from Europe. I bought it after it had been legalized in California. The guy that had it imported didn’t worry about the cost as it was loaded with goodies from Afghanistan.
Did you have to go in person to the port to pick it up?

Sounds stressful.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
In 2017 I bought a used 2014 Prius which was coming off a lease for $14,000 cash. It had 30k miles when I bought it, and has 110k now. It gets near 50 MPG, and I have never had a single mechanical or other issue. It has never failed to start. Surprisingly roomy cargo area with the back seats folded down. My plan is to drive it until it dies, which probably won't happen for a long time. I can afford to buy a much more expensive car, but why would I do that?

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
would love to see a how-to on this

i looked into it a while back and concluded that the process would be prohibitively difficult and expensive
i think you can import from Japan if theyre old enough to be exempt from the emissions stuff but yeah all that would probably take forever and be really expensive. Shame because I'd want to buy one of those new LC 70's they're selling in APAC

Reactions: jkb

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
In 2017 I bought a used 2014 Prius which was coming off a lease for $14,000 cash. It had 30k miles when I bought it, and has 110k now. It gets near 50 MPG, and I have never had a single mechanical or other issue. It has never failed to start. Surprisingly roomy cargo area with the back seats folded down. My plan is to drive it until it dies, which probably won't happen for a long time. I can afford to buy a much more expensive car, but why would I do that?
Status brah.

Duh.

Any guy in a car < $50K looks like a total loser.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
I agree it's expensive, but do you really need a Pro? I've already seen dealers advertising 2k off MSRP for 2024 Tacomas and Tundras. They must not be selling as fast as they thought with the higher MSRP's.

On the flip side, I was messing around with an inflation calculator and saw that my 2018 4Runner price of $34k would be $42k in todays dollars. That's not too far off the equivalent 2025 4Runner price. It would be nice if my paycheck reflected that same increase though.
I agree the Pro is overkill for 99% of people so it's not that relevant for most. In general I just think the taco is getting away from its original appeal of simplicity and bang for your buck... which is fine, I'm sure they'll sell well and people will like them, just not for me

What I don't like is it seems like the 4runner is heading in same direction with the next gen and is gonna see a hefty price increase for the sake of features I don't care about and an engine I don't want. The 2024's are still a good deal in my opinion, I just think that's gonna end when the 25's come out

Reactions: jkb

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I don't think it's that hard with classic cars in CA, but emissions would make it prohibitive with newer models that require smog checks.
Used to be a rolling 30yr old rule, so we’d be allowed to import up to 1994 by now. Imagine all the Nissan skylines….

but, that door was closed in CA a while back. Now we are back on 1976 or older, I believe.

I don’t think there is any other classic car exemption unless it also comes with the requirement of X miles per year for parades and other exhibitions.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
And money. Lots of both.

Did that have the choke on the dashboard? I had a buddy in high school who had one and to fuck with him we’d yank the choke while he was driving. Good times. Oh, and that car handled so much better than the Pintos and Mavericks and Datsuns kids were driving back then.

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I guess the Acura TSX wagon is basically an Accord wagon with all the bells and whistles.

The last year they were made was 2014 and it was never offered as a manual.

They've aged pretty well IMO.
View attachment 178811
pretty much a secretary who snowboards car but to each their own. i prefer a lexus myself

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Status brah.

Duh.

Any guy in a car < $50K looks like a total loser.
I know you’re kinda joking, but I feel like you’re kinda serious too.

Not about some arbitrary monetary bar being set.

My 10 year old truck that everyone still compliments me on was $42k on the window sticker and went OTD for $37k. Granted, the same would be like $50k or more now, but still.

You can get a really nice vehicle for $20k+. Again, don’t be a cheap fukk and try to justify some unreliable sh*tbox. It’s like another room in your house, so yeah , have some pride will ya!?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I know you’re kinda joking, but I feel like you’re kinda serious too.

Not about some arbitrary monetary bar being set.

My 10 year old truck that everyone still compliments me on was $42k on the window sticker and went OTD for $37k. Granted, the same would be like $50k or more now, but still.

You can get a really nice vehicle for $20k+. Again, don’t be a cheap fukk and try to justify some unreliable sh*tbox. It’s like another room in your house, so yeah , have some pride will ya!?
100% joking.

We ended up buying a Corolla hybrid, one of the cheapest cars on the market.