Car Insurance Went Up Again

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My insurance agent told me rates are going up because car prices have gone up so it costs them more to replace your vehicle in the case of an accident.

This is why I drive a 20 year old car and have liability only. Insurance costs me 28 bucks a month.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Older vehicle, no tickets in last 15+ years. Never an accident. Zero claims.

Goes up $150 from last 6 month payment 'due to rate change in your state'.

USAA

Anyone experienced the same? What insurance company?
Have you gotten a homeowners renewal lately? :oops: Bottom line is it costs more to repair or replace a car or house than it did a few years ago and insurance is playing catch up.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Have you gotten a homeowners renewal lately? :oops: Bottom line is it costs more to repair or replace a car or house than it did a few years ago and insurance is playing catch up.
I think they’re raising prices because they can. What can we realistically do about it? Shop around? Most industries are a duopoly

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I think they’re raising prices because they can. What can we realistically do about it? Shop around? Most industries are a duopoly
I have a Plumbing Company with 4 commercial vehicles. Since I started in 2015 rate jumped from $2500/yr to $8000/yr. Also have Inland Marine insurance which was a pain to find someone who would even cover in CA. Pretty sure rates are sky high from all the fire loss claims. I don't know if it's possible but thought about trying to get a custom policy that waves coverage for fire and see if it would drop the rate significantly.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My insurance agent told me rates are going up because car prices have gone up so it costs them more to replace your vehicle in the case of an accident.
Part of the problem is nowadays a dent on a front fender will cause half the entire front end to be replaced.

This is why I drive a 20 year old car and have liability only. Insurance costs me 28 bucks a month.
Same.
Paying $200/year for my car and not much more for my truck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka
Feb 18, 2024
I have a Plumbing Company with 4 commercial vehicles. Since I started in 2015 rate jumped from $2500/yr to $8000/yr. Also have Inland Marine insurance which was a pain to find someone who would even cover in CA. Pretty sure rates are sky high from all the fire loss claims. I don't know if it's possible but thought about trying to get a custom policy that waves coverage for fire and see if it would drop the rate significantly.
about the same for me to I have a plumbing and pipeline shop in ca with 7 trucks all between $3000 to $7,000

Reactions: keenfish

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I had been with 21st century since 1993. During covid I got a policy change because of how little I was driving due to teleworking. I was paying $800 a year for full coverage. Then it went down to half that. I got a letter from the DMV in January that said my registration was going to be suspended because of no proof of insurance. I was like WTF. Called 21st and they said they mailed me a letter saying they were no longer honoring those policies and were being bought out by Toggle and how to get another quote. I never got the letter. It was going to be $2200 a year for full coverage. I had no insurance from late October to Late February. Fuck. I went to Geico. Took 5 weeks to get through underwriting only for them to tell me I needed to send them proof of insurance for another person that lived with me temporarily 2 years ago. And it was going to take another 3 weeks to get coverage. I got a liability only policy from freeway insurance for $1680 a year. Fucking bullshit.

Last edited:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I am seriously considering bailing on CA. Its been a great 32 year run. I have had the same job for 17 years. I have some hope for a fully remote job at another federal agency and if I get it, see ya later. With IB basically too filthy to surf the last 2 years, life isnt the same. Im not surfing as much as I used to. My salary could go way further if I split my time between Delaware and Puerto Rico. Maybe a couple months in Huatulco. Take the $400K in equity I have and GTFO of here. I have loved surfing in DE and MD on my trips back there. Uncrowded little hollow peaks. Its all I need.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I am seriously considering bailing on CA. Its been a great 32 year run. I have had the same job for 17 years. I have some hope for a fully remote job at another federal agency and if I get it, see ya later. With IB basically too filthy to surf the last 2 years, life isnt the same. Im not surfing as much as I used to. My salary could go way further if I split my time between Delaware and Puerto Rico. Maybe a couple months in Huatulco. Take the $400K in equity I have and GTFO of here. I have loved surfing in DE and MD on my trips back there. Uncrowded little hollow peaks. Its all I need.
I have also been considering the same in the next few years.

Reactions: john4surf

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
just heard california home insurance is going up 2-3x
They’re canceling a lot of policies in my neighborhood and around the county. Seems like the state is trying to push people onto some sort of a “covered California” but for homeowner’s insurance. I have USAA so I guess I’m still covered. It wouldn’t give me the warm fuzzy to be covered by the state which was having trouble covering unemployment insurance claims in 2020-2021. The state is already in a $73 bn deficit last I checked.

Reactions: john4surf

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Everyone I know except family has already left. It’s like working at a company where all the smart people have left. Rationalizing that I’m staying for family doesn’t feel too good. Aren’t my kids family too?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Everyone I know except family has already left. It’s like working at a company where all the smart people have left. Rationalizing that I’m staying for family doesn’t feel too good. Aren’t my kids family too?
If I had kids, I would for sure bail. Schools in California are a joke unless you live in an uber rich neighborhood or they are home schooled or in private school. My son is 24 and lives in LA. LA has him now. He will never leave.

Reactions: PRCD

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Nags Head or surrounding area would be a good home base. Some parts of Florida too.

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
Is this a goodbye post?

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Older vehicle, no tickets in last 15+ years. Never an accident. Zero claims.

Goes up $150 from last 6 month payment 'due to rate change in your state'.

USAA

Anyone experienced the same? What insurance company?
i had USAA for 35years and they wanted $800/month for my 7year old 25k truck and my 16year old daughters 6year old 18k car. Went to progressive and it’s less than half price! Hated leaving USAA but I can always go back but why would I when I’m saving $450/month for the same coverage??

• Wow
Reactions: john4surf and r32