Car Insurance Went Up Again

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
i had USAA for 35years and they wanted $800/month for my 7year old 25k truck and my 16year old daughters 6year old 18k car. Went to progressive and it’s less than half price! Hated leaving USAA but I can always go back but why would I when I’m saving $450/month for the same coverage??
Good to know. I am definitely going to shop this around, see if I can find cheaper. My vehicle is a 2008 ffs. No way my insurance should be going up.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I wonder if this is purely a monetary phenomenon. interest rates are up making it more expensive for corporations to sell bonds. Money printing led to inflation. Most of CAs economy is FIRE which is just a form of overhead tax on the working stiff.

Reactions: john4surf

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
If I had kids, I would for sure bail. Schools in California are a joke unless you live in an uber rich neighborhood or they are home schooled or in private school. My son is 24 and lives in LA. LA has him now. He will never leave.
He'll figure it out soon enough. LA is a hell hole unless you are uber rich. Then it's just lame.

Also I'm tripping your kid is 24!

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
He'll figure it out soon enough. LA is a hell hole unless you are uber rich. Then it's just lame.

I'm tripping that Gary has a kid too!

Couple of the boys down at Descanso said you were spotted in Hillcrest holding hands with some dude recently. NTTIAWWT :dancing:

Reactions: gbg

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If I had kids, I would for sure bail. Schools in California are a joke unless you live in an uber rich neighborhood or they are home schooled or in private school. My son is 24 and lives in LA. LA has him now. He will never leave.
I have several former students now in their mid-to-late 20s who are bailing from SB due to affordability issues. They are mostly moving to Ventura or San Diego, a couple to Sacramento, a few to the northwest. One went to Texas and came back after a few months, hated it. He said Austin was like San Diego with no ocean and 30 degrees more of heat.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

It is hard to believe. He will be 25 in September. He finishes grad school in December at USC. He has been working part time and going to college and grad school. Straight A student. You should see the girls he is shagging. Kid is killing it.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I'm tripping that Gary has a kid too!

Couple of the boys down at Descanso said you were spotted in Hillcrest holding hands with some dude recently. NTTIAWWT :dancing:
Only on Wednesday nights.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I have several former students now in their mid-to-late 20s who are bailing from SB due to affordability issues. They are mostly moving to Ventura or San Diego, a couple to Sacramento, a few to the northwest. One went to Texas and came back after a few months, hated it. He said Austin was like San Diego with no ocean and 30 degrees more of heat.
Austin isn't Texas

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
can insurance is up because
1) cars cost more than ever
2) cars cost more to fix than ever
3) car accident rates are rising

even if you haven't been in an accident, there's not a 0% chance of it, so your insurance goes up too.

this isn't an "insurance is gouging us" situation, it rarely is in a competitive market.

if we want car insurance the carriers have to be able to make a profit

price shop, buy a cheaper car, drive safer if you don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4surf

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Mom informs me she got notice saying Kemper insurance is pulling out of California.

She has home/auto through them.

She has a home in a city, so no wildfire possibility. Options? I will need to find a new one for her.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Masters in Communication. Luke is a straight A student. His dream job is working for an NBA Team. He has worked part time for a start up the entire time he has been in grad school.

Reactions: Mr Doof