Can we talk about the new TESLA TRUCK?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
These do look interesting. I like that cross compartment behind the cab.

I was told the Tesla can actually hold its own as far as towing goes, which is surprising. It’s really not a true pick up truck though. It will be heavy which may be problematic in some states such as NY where any pick up truck over 6k needs to be registered commercial and can’t drive on parkways.

I’m trying to pull the trigger on a new truck but the prices have my head spinning.
if you're looking to buy right now is the time when they're clearing out the 19s for the 20s.

But yeah, truck prices are unsane

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Something like this .... yea or nay?

ok by me. have no doubt Tesla can build a decent truck - i've watched a Tesla car effortlessly handle a beach that has caught many 4x4's....it was impressive.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
And yes it rolls coal at some points in its manufacturing process. Definitely doesn’t have the best carbon footprint either.
Tesla cars are just a unique vehicle that unless you have the balls to own one, you’ll never know how bitchen they are. Gas, electric or other, the cars are pretty fun to drive, low to no maintenance, and comparably priced to most any other new vehicle.
Take away the subsidies and they become very expensive. Hell, take away the subsidies and the company folds.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
These do look interesting. I like that cross compartment behind the cab.

I was told the Tesla can actually hold its own as far as towing goes, which is surprising. It’s really not a true pick up truck though. It will be heavy which may be problematic in some states such as NY where any pick up truck over 6k needs to be registered commercial and can’t drive on parkways.

I’m trying to pull the trigger on a new truck but the prices have my head spinning.
‘Yeah, I looking for new work truck. $50k for a piece of sh!t Chevy.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I think there is a lot of demand for a slightly smaller, simpler truck that costs less and gets substantially better mileage. My old Toyota beater is 25 years old is simple and ultra-reliable, gets 22 around town, 27 on the freeway, and is nice and low and great for Home Depot runs or tossing in a board and wetsuit. Not everybody needs a big-ass truck.

Reactions: crustBrother

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I think there is a lot of demand for a slightly smaller, simpler truck that costs less and gets substantially better mileage. My old Toyota beater is 25 years old is simple and ultra-reliable, gets 22 around town, 27 on the freeway, and is nice and low and great for Home Depot runs or tossing in a board and wetsuit. Not everybody needs a big-ass truck.
I wasn't necessarily thinking smaller, but just a simple economical work truck would be awesome. Maybe something built like Jeeps were 20-30+ years ago. Super simple w/no interior, just some rubber floor mats under your feet. New pickup prices are insane and finding a good used one is pretty tough.

Last edited:

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
looks pretty ugly, still some fucktard fanboys will preorder it a year in advance.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
if you're looking to buy right now is the time when they're clearing out the 19s for the 20s.

But yeah, truck prices are unsane
Towing for very short distances maybe. The heavier the load placed on the battery, the shorter range you are going to have.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
This is how I'd like to build out a new Gladiator.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Towing for very short distances maybe. The heavier the load placed on the battery, the shorter range you are going to have.
Yeah, if you're going to tow a Moore 24 from Aptos to the SC boat harbor a Tesla would be fine. if you were gonna drag it all the way up to Tahoe, no way.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
It's not really public info but some guy recently just drove out of SFPD's life. They are using Teslas as test patrol cars. High speed chase. The Tesla went dead. Maybe it's OK because its California. The perp was caught. By a CHP with a gasoline engine.

Last edited:

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
That Tesla truck (concept) looks stupid, but comparing it to a full size pickup is more stupider. That's not what it is. It looks more like Tesla's version of a Honda Ridgeline or any of those vehicles with a 4 or 5 foot bed. I doubt Tesla thinks this thing is going to be showing up on construction sites or getting a slide in camper. All anyone who owns one of these things will need it to tow is maybe a pair of waverunners or some other toys. I'm not into this or any other electric vehicles, but electric vehicles are the future. As we've seen it's going to be a slow process. No technology is going to replace fossil fuels as economically and efficiently right off the bat. It's going to take years. So constantly bringing up range is redundant. We all already know batteries drain down and need to be recharged. I'm more interested in the environmental impacts from the maufacturing and end of life disposal of these complex machines.

Last edited: