Can we talk about something that actually matters.....property taxes

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
GromsDad said:
everysurfr said:
GromsDad said:
Property taxes is one thing that I can't complain about personally. I life in a modest home in a summer seasonal beach town filled with multi-million dollar mansions, condos and beach homes. These homes don't generate kids in the school system and use virtually no city services 9 months out of the year. Basically huge ratables that use no city services. Because of that the property and school taxes on my modest 60s era split level on a nice sized lot are under $2,500 a year.
So you are a liberal in conservatives clothing? You don't want to pay for what you use, but instead enjoy being subsidized by the wealthy.
Just a side benefit of being one of about 10,000 locals in a town that swells to over 300,000 people from late June through late August. If my same house were on the other side of the bay in a town that isn't a tourist trap the property taxes would be 5x what I pay. The low property taxes are actually one of the big reasons I still live where I do when I could easily cash out and buy a McMansion just about anywhere and be mortgage free. The property taxes alone just about anywhere inland you go in NJ on even a modest home start at about $7,500 a year. A 3,000 sq/ft house in a desirable town could get you a property tax bill close to $20K a year.

"desirable town"

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
hal9000 said:
GromsDad said:
everysurfr said:
GromsDad said:
Property taxes is one thing that I can't complain about personally. I life in a modest home in a summer seasonal beach town filled with multi-million dollar mansions, condos and beach homes. These homes don't generate kids in the school system and use virtually no city services 9 months out of the year. Basically huge ratables that use no city services. Because of that the property and school taxes on my modest 60s era split level on a nice sized lot are under $2,500 a year.
So you are a liberal in conservatives clothing? You don't want to pay for what you use, but instead enjoy being subsidized by the wealthy.
Just a side benefit of being one of about 10,000 locals in a town that swells to over 300,000 people from late June through late August. If my same house were on the other side of the bay in a town that isn't a tourist trap the property taxes would be 5x what I pay. The low property taxes are actually one of the big reasons I still live where I do when I could easily cash out and buy a McMansion just about anywhere and be mortgage free. The property taxes alone just about anywhere inland you go in NJ on even a modest home start at about $7,500 a year. A 3,000 sq/ft house in a desirable town could get you a property tax bill close to $20K a year.

"desirable town"
Camdesireable?
Desireablewark?

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Good teachers are underpaid

It’s hard to define a good teacher though and unions prioritize job security over rewarding standouts

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
ifallalot said:
MaxKookage said:
Got a link to what is being proposed?
https://laist.com/2019/06/03/measure_ee_lausd_tax_hike.php

Only LAUSD will be affected
so home owners get to pay more property taxes every year (and renters get to absorb that cost with increased rent) while the good schools stay good and the bad schools continue to suck.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
BillyOcean said:

It’s hard to define a good teacher though and unions prioritize job security over rewarding standouts
We agree again!

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Good teachers get burned out due to lack of parental support and administration support. It seems like they're actively discouraged from sticking their necks out or going the extra mile. I think that's one of the dominant factors leading to people disconnecting and running on autopilot and doing the bare minimum.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
trevorbc said:
BillyOcean said:

We agree again!

A few things to unpack here:

How do you go about determining who's good and who isn't? Hint: administrators have no clue, teachers know who sucks
and who's good.

You'd be amazed at how admins hold teachers back more than unions. Teachers who go the extra mile, get the most out of their students, inspire students to do great things......they get paid the same as the slugs. The competent and exceptional teachers also get strapped with extra responsibility (such as getting the more difficult students) because admins know that the slugs can't pull their weight.

Admins aren't usually competent enough, willing to, or have the backbone to run the slugs out of town. So you're stuck with dead wood until they (either the admins or the dead wood) retires. Tenure doesn't mean a job for life. It just means that people are entitled to due process.

In many ways I think tenure works to admins' advantage because it's an easy way to keep your knee on the back of people's necks. Think about it, as long as tenure is in place, people are going to stick with job security and not switch teaching jobs. In the real world, people switch jobs fairly often. Not so in education. In addition, tenure ensures that there's not much upward mobility within the organization. Keeps everyone on a level playing field and suppresses salaries.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
GDaddy said:
Good teachers get burned out due to lack of parental support and administration support. It seems like they're actively discouraged from sticking their necks out or going the extra mile. I think that's one of the dominant factors leading to people disconnecting and running on autopilot and doing the bare minimum.
I wonder what is worse for a teacher....

absentee parents or parents that are way too far up in their business?

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
hal9000 said:
trevorbc said:
BillyOcean said:

We agree again!

A few things to unpack here:

How do you go about determining who's good and who isn't? Hint: administrators have no clue, teachers know who sucks
and who's good.

You'd be amazed at how admins hold teachers back more than unions. Teachers who go the extra mile, get the most out of their students, inspire students to do great things......they get paid the same as the slugs. The competent and exceptional teachers also get strapped with extra responsibility (such as getting the more difficult students) because admins know that the slugs can't pull their weight.

Admins aren't usually competent enough, willing to, or have the backbone to run the slugs out of town. So you're stuck with dead wood until they (either the admins or the dead wood) retires. Tenure doesn't mean a job for life. It just means that people are entitled to due process.

In many ways I think tenure works to admins' advantage because it's an easy way to keep your knee on the back of people's necks. Think about it, as long as tenure is in place, people are going to stick with job security and not switch teaching jobs. In the real world, people switch jobs fairly often. Not so in education. In addition, tenure ensures that there's not much upward mobility within the organization. Keeps everyone on a level playing field and suppresses salaries.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
I believe it

The ideal school, IMO, would be to acquire a decent building and hire the most kick ass teachers you could find for each level and that’s it. Maybe a single administrator to run interference with parents. Oh and limit class size to 5 kids

Education money is not spent very well