Can we talk about something that actually matters.....property taxes

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
There's a good chance they're going up quite a bit.
They say it's for the school & the children but the money will never reach the classrooms

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
laidback said:
There's a good chance they're going up quite a bit.
They say it's for the school & the children but the money will never reach the classrooms
This is like all taxes.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
MaxKookage said:
Got a link to what is being proposed?
https://laist.com/2019/06/03/measure_ee_lausd_tax_hike.php

Only LAUSD will be affected

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Maybe you guys fvcked yourselves with prop 13 years ago.

And maybe the real topic here is not so much property taxes, but rather the state's school funding formula.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
hal9000 said:

And maybe the real topic here is not so much property taxes, but rather the state's school funding formula.
No, Prop 13 keeps us from being fucked yearly by a state government that's never seen a dollar they don't want to confiscate

The real topic isn't funding, its over-spending

Methinks I remember something about a "rainy day fund" that would be perfect in this situation.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
ifallalot said:
hal9000 said:

No, Prop 13 keeps us from being fucked yearly by a state government that's never seen a dollar they don't want to confiscate

Methinks I remember something about a "rainy day fund" that would be perfect in this situation.

Fair points, and I'll admit that I don't have a great understanding of Prop 13 because I haven't done much research on it. But on the surface, it seems like it could have robbed school districts of funding and local control.

I think you may be using the term over-spending as a proxy for "out-of-control population growth".

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
laidback said:
"out-of-control population growth".
Are you referring to illegal immigration
I'm referring to the fact that California has a gigantic population. The guys who grew up there can probably attest to the fact that population growth has put a strain on resources and infrastructure in the state.

I'd be willing to bet that tract housing has killed many a good dirt biking spot since the 1960s.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I think Garcetti has a point though...

these guys are already in the red, but an increased parcel tax is going to pay for raises?

what's going to pay off all the other debt?

what am I missing?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
afoaf said:
I think Garcetti has a point though...

these guys are already in the red, but an increased parcel tax is going to pay for raises?

what's going to pay off all the other debt?

what am I missing?
Just another band-aid feelz tax increase that does nothing in the long run besides cost taxpayers money

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
what's crazy is that this is how they got out of the teacher's strike

if this fails, the money doesn't materialize, and the strike resumes.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Property taxes is one thing that I can't complain about personally. I life in a modest home in a summer seasonal beach town filled with multi-million dollar mansions, condos and beach homes. These homes don't generate kids in the school system and use virtually no city services 9 months out of the year. Basically huge ratables that use no city services. Because of that the property and school taxes on my modest 60s era split level on a nice sized lot are under $2,500 a year.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
As I understand it the state's Constitution requires it to support public schools so - unlike a municipality - the counties and the school districts cannot be allowed to go bankrupt. Prop 13 came about in the first place to stabilize tax assessments and it was sold on the basis of preventing seniors and people living on fixed incomes from getting taxed out of their homes.

I think a compromise might involve removing the limitation on tax increases on everything except individual dwellings. That will mean tax assessments will float with the value - up or down - on residential apartment properties, retail, commercial, industrial, probably most forms of land and so on. It's still going to be hard for them to maintain schools in counties that are predominantly residential or government owned but those tend to be rural anyway.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
hal9000 said:
ifallalot said:
hal9000 said:

Fair points, and I'll admit that I don't have a great understanding of Prop 13 because I haven't done much research on it. But on the surface, it seems like it could have robbed school districts of funding and local control.

I think you may be using the term over-spending as a proxy for "out-of-control population growth".
LAUSD has one of the largest per pupil expenditure rates in the country. It also has a declining student population.

This tax is about one thing and one thing only, underfunded pensions for retired and retiring teachers.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
GDaddy said:
As I understand it the state's Constitution requires it to support public schools so - unlike a municipality - the counties and the school districts cannot be allowed to go bankrupt. Prop 13 came about in the first place to stabilize tax assessments and it was sold on the basis of preventing seniors and people living on fixed incomes from getting taxed out of their homes.

I think a compromise might involve removing the limitation on tax increases on everything except individual dwellings. That will mean tax assessments will float with the value - up or down - on residential apartment properties, retail, commercial, industrial, probably most forms of land and so on. It's still going to be hard for them to maintain schools in counties that are predominantly residential or government owned but those tend to be rural anyway.
Our state government has plenty of money already. We are taxed enough.

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
They always pretend it's for the children.

Remember how the lottery was going to fund our schools and make some instant millionaires?

I'm with Duffy here. F these assholes.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
GromsDad said:
Property taxes is one thing that I can't complain about personally. I life in a modest home in a summer seasonal beach town filled with multi-million dollar mansions, condos and beach homes. These homes don't generate kids in the school system and use virtually no city services 9 months out of the year. Basically huge ratables that use no city services. Because of that the property and school taxes on my modest 60s era split level on a nice sized lot are under $2,500 a year.
So you are a liberal in conservatives clothing? You don't want to pay for what you use, but instead enjoy being subsidized by the wealthy.

Just another in a long line of examples.