Can we talk about Kristi Noem shooting her dog?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Her family, she writes, also owned a male goat that was “nasty and mean”, because it had not been castrated. Furthermore, the goat smelled “disgusting, musky, rancid” and “loved to chase” Noem’s children, knocking them down and ruining their clothes.
Noem decided to kill the unnamed goat the same way she had just killed Cricket the dog. But though she “dragged him to a gravel pit”, the goat jumped as she shot and therefore survived the wound. Noem says she went back to her truck, retrieved another shell, then “hurried back to the gravel pit and put him down”.

At that point, Noem writes, she realised a construction crew had watched her kill both animals. The startled workers swiftly got back to work, she writes, only for a school bus to arrive and drop off Noem’s children.
“Kennedy looked around confused,” Noem writes of her daughter, who asked: “Hey, where’s Cricket?”
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
What a piece of sh!t. I have a Drahthaar, the German version of a wirehair but essentially the same dog, so reading that hit close to home. They’re not for everyone and Sounds more along the lines she couldn’t handle the dog and didn’t know how to train her. Wirehairs have high prey drives, that’s what they were bred for and it’s ingrained in their blood. By no means a hard dog to train under the right hands. I had help from a pro with mine because it’s a full time job training a dog from puppy to adult that requires access to things I don’t have. if you can’t control a dog you find it a new home. I guarantee a dog with that high of a prey drive will find a home suitable for its drive.

IMG_2989.jpegIMG_2924.jpegIMG_2558.jpegIMG_2220.jpegIMG_2223.jpegIMG_2028.jpeg

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
What a piece of sh!t. I have a Drahthaar, the German version of a wirehair but essentially the same dog, so reading that hit close to home. They’re not for everyone and Sounds more along the lines she couldn’t handle the dog and didn’t know how to train her. Wirehairs have high prey drives, that’s what they were bred for and it’s ingrained in their blood. By no means a hard dog to train under the right hands. I had help from a pro with mine because it’s a full time job training a dog from puppy to adult that requires access to things I don’t have. if you can’t control a dog you find it a new home. I guarantee a dog with that high of a prey drive will find a home suitable for its drive.

View attachment 178956View attachment 178957View attachment 178958View attachment 178959View attachment 178960View attachment 178961
such a rad dog.

also, if you get a GWHP (or almost ANY dog with the word German in their name)……..you better know what the fvk you‘re getting into.

also for that dog to act like that, I think it was a product of neglect, poor training, and/or abuse.

also….. i’m not entirely sure about the wisdom of a taking a 14 month old dog out hunting.

some dogs can handle it at that age, some dogs are still too immature and/or wild. my dad’s one Chesapeake was a natural and we had her out duck hunting at 1 year, but she was exceptional.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
My dog was hunting at 9 months. It’s doable for the right dog but 14 months should be good for most unless you are an utter failure as a handler. first season I didn’t even shoot at a bird until the end of the season to let him get bird exposure.

it takes patience and a lot of work for a breed like this. Noem shouldn’t be allowed to own another dog at the very least.

Reactions: $kully and hal9000

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
My dog was hunting at 9 months. It’s doable for the right dog but 14 months should be good for most unless you are an utter failure as a handler. first season I didn’t even shoot at a bird until the end of the season to let him get bird exposure.

it takes patience and a lot of work for a breed like this. Noem shouldn’t be allowed to own another dog at the very least.

true…..proper training, handling, and acclimation to the environment are critical.

you know this bitch just turned the dog out and expected him to know what to do.