Can we talk about fireworks every fvcking night in Los Angeles?

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Sounds like a slow New Years Eve night. Fireworks bring back childhood. The sounds, smells, sights, and danger of exploding things. The smell of the da chinese red firecrackers, searching square miles for unexploded crackers. We would tie a few together so it would fly farther when you threw it at your friend! Slingshots may have been used a few times. Saw mostly bad burns, but never the dreaded 'you'll blow your finger off'. Well, maybe a piece of finger.
As we got older, knew guys who would spend 20-30K on New Years, Chinese New Year, and the 4th.
Two stevedores on my street, I got the line.

Lots of big bombs lately, shake the windows style. I was drinking in my neighbor's yard the other night (social distance kine) and he lit one. It is so insane close up. I told him it's a lot different when you know they're going to boom. When it's a surprise it's like hit the deck time.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I was passed out on my couch last year with the flu. Wife and kids weren't home. Neighbor decided to light a big oxy/acetylene balloon bomb in his back yard. Shook my whole house and freaked me out until I realized what it was.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Two stevedores on my street, I got the line.
few years back i was down visiting my dad on the fourth. hes in his eighties and wanted to go down to the yacht club to drink with his bros and watch the show la puts on in the harbor. i tag along figuring eighty year old guy throwing em back on the fourth, what could go wrong. right?

nothing actually, the la harbor show was your basic pedestrian govt sponsored oooh and awe. but holy sh!t, once they wrapped up, the san pedro locals took over and those boys brought out the big guns. made la's little show look like child's play. leave it to the dock workers if you want to see the real fire power

Reactions: the janitor

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
ahhhhh san pedro.

once picked up some supplies at 3:30 am on the 4th down in wilmington. dude wiht his neighborhood all over his face answwered the door...let us into the room his kids were sleeping in....STACKED head high+ with high grade explosives. pretty gnarly. wanted wayyyyyy too much $....but i wasn't in the mood to tell him, nor his friends tweaking in the other room, that the $ was bad.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Never said I wanted to cops involved, just wondered if it's a normal thing. I moved here from Santa Cruz, lot's of new experiences.
You REEEEEALLY missed it . Shoulda been here in the late 70's/early 80's.

When firework stands were everywhere the month prior to July 4th in LA/OC/IE counties. I'm sure Ventura/SB had 'em too (well earlier in the 50's and 60's too, though probably not quite as crazed).

Redondo used to have an epic firework display out of the harbor. Then, illegal fireworks were increasing in the celebration mix among many. The last year before it was cancelled was truly war-zone type fireworks mayhem from many. I even got a hold of some rose spinners or whatever they're called. Got boring just watching them spin on the ground, so we started throwing off the cliff at Topaz. Tons of people all around, on upper cliff walkway and beach below. I'd throw it out up high off cliff, it'd fly off randomly not knowing which way it was going to rocket off. Sometimes further out and up (cool), sometimes right back at us (yikes!). Other times, down to the beach next to unsuspecting beach goers (uh oh). Some would squeeze the ends so they'd blow up firecracker style. That was a famous thing to do with Piccalo Pete's. Loud screaming firework, then BAM!! explodes at the end.

It was nuts. People throwing cherry bombs off the cliff landing next to people. Shooting bottle rockets down the cliff towards the beach. All sorts of mayhem. Someone was gonna get hurt, but no one really cared to stop, it was once a year. Later I dropped some acid and rode my bike along the Esplanade watching the chaos. Some guys were having bottle rocket fights with people shooting them down from the tall condos, guys on street shooting back. One guy I know shot one back at the tall condo and it landed on someones couch in a unit a few stories up and caught fire (not the guy shooting down). Luckily it got put out quick I guess? I rode thru it ducking my head like I was in a fox hole.

Like I said, it was literally like riding thru a war-zone some places, and Redondo put an immediate end to further selling of 4th of July fireworks and their harbor display from then onward.

I know this stuff happened all over LA/OC beach cities and inner city towns in the 70's/early 80's until pretty much ALL shut "legal" fireworks down.

Modern version still available I guess?

Ahhh, the "golden years".:p

Last edited:
Reactions: stringcheese

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I lived in Aptos when Rio del Mar had it's annual illegal (unenforced) July 4 war zone at Seacliff State Beach, which basically happened until 2006 maybe (?), then they started really cracking down. Lived a block off the cliff above the cement ship. Now they put in spotlights that light up the entire beach. Sucks now.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I (while under the influence of a skin full of French vodka) decided it would be fun to let off a bunch of fireworks I had in my backpack from Thailand in the centre of a sleepy Laotion town in the deep South. Out of the darkness there appeared a bunch of plain clothed guys armed with AK 47s. I was promptly marched off to the local police station to explain myself. Luckily I speak the lingo but they were not amused. Close to the Cambodian border they took thing seriously back then.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
You REEEEEALLY missed it . Shoulda been here in the late 70's/early 80's.

When firework stands were everywhere the month prior to July 4th in LA/OC/IE counties. I'm sure Ventura/SB had 'em too (well earlier in the 50's and 60's too, though probably not quite as crazed).

Redondo used to have an epic firework display out of the harbor. Then, illegal fireworks were increasing in the celebration mix among many. The last year before it was cancelled was truly war-zone type fireworks mayhem from many. I even got a hold of some rose spinners or whatever they're called. Got boring just watching them spin on the ground, so we started throwing off the cliff at Topaz. Tons of people all around, on upper cliff walkway and beach below. I'd throw it out up high off cliff, it'd fly off randomly not knowing which way it was going to rocket off. Sometimes further out and up (cool), sometimes right back at us (yikes!). Other times, down to the beach next to unsuspecting beach goers (uh oh). Some would squeeze the ends so they'd blow up firecracker style. That was a famous thing to do with Piccalo Pete's. Loud screaming firework, then BAM!! explodes at the end.

It was nuts. People throwing cherry bombs off the cliff landing next to people. Shooting bottle rockets down the cliff towards the beach. All sorts of mayhem. Someone was gonna get hurt, but no one really cared to stop, it was once a year. Later I dropped some acid and rode my bike along the Esplanade watching the chaos. Some guys were having bottle rocket fights with people shooting them down from the tall condos, guys on street shooting back. One guy I know shot one back at the tall condo and it landed on someones couch in a unit a few stories up and caught fire (not the guy shooting down). Luckily it got put out quick I guess? I rode thru it ducking my head like I was in a fox hole.

Like I said, it was literally like riding thru a war-zone some places, and Redondo put an immediate end to further selling of 4th of July fireworks and their harbor display from then onward.

I know this stuff happened all over LA/OC beach cities and inner city towns in the 70's/early 80's until pretty much ALL shut "legal" fireworks down.

Modern version still available I guess?

Ahhh, the "golden years".:p
Piccolo Pete? Ha, faaaaag!

(I miss the 90s sometimes)

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
My neighborhood is crazy for a month before and a month after the 4th. This year seems worse than usual.

What amazes me is how expensive fireworks are. Last time I bought fireworks in Montana we dropped around $300 for about 20 min of fun. You can get more value at a strip joint. Somehow people in my neighborhood can afford to have fireworks for 2 months straight.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
i'm in Glendale/Atwater area for now (fuckkkkk)... mortar fireworks in the middle of the fucking day today... weird