Can we talk about Channel Islands?

Mar 7, 2018
Is that a Yamaha wr250? Wait….
Ci are popular here and from my experience deservedly so. Consistently functional shapes. But I have snapped more and found they look shite dent-wise pretty quick. I’m in oz, and I think it is the light/low density blanks they use rather than glassing quality. Perhaps they are not talked about so much is because they do a pretty decent marketing job themselves and we expect greatness from ci?

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I don't ever remember CI being all that popular or commonly talked about on the forum.

Anyone remember when all anyone here ever seemed to ride was a bonzer? Anyone seen a bonzer pop up on the forum recently? Then all anyone was allowed to ride was a twin keel. Had to have glassed on Gephart's. I think that was the order that it went in.

All of Album's boards are one-off glass jobs with resin tints. If you ask for a CI mid from CI with a custom resin tint that isn't one of their stock colors rest assured it won't be all that far off from $1300.
Don't forget Coil...everyone else has.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
There is no doubt that Channel Island lost their way under Burton's ownership but now that Brit has taken the helm things look to be really turning around - I recently picked up a used Fishbeard and have found it both user friendly and super fun to ride - this is the first CI board I have ridden in over 10 years.
Oh yeah. Forgot about Burton. we were promised all kinds of revolutionary new build tech. Instead it seems they still mostly do poopees.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So Duffy owns 14 Canal Isles and theres a bunch of guys that say they're an inferior build.

vanryss even buckled one on a duck dive second time out.

We all know about Duffy vs Mike Tyson...

I would think a guy of his strength would snap a CI like a twig.

That he would golfball the deck just by looking at one.

Yet somehow they survive, with standard glassing.

What is going on here?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
So Duffy owns 14 Canal Isles and theres a bunch of guys that say they're an inferior build.

vanryss even buckled one on a duck dive second time out.

We all know about Duffy vs Mike Tyson...

I would think a guy of his strength would snap a CI like a twig.

That he would golfball the deck just by looking at one.

Yet somehow they survive, with standard glassing.

What is going on here?

I know who the good glassers are.

Also I mostly avoid the UL and get the S.

Also, I have so many boards and change it up so often none of them get ridden that much. Haven’t surfed the Fever in over a year.

Reactions: Lowqi2

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I don't ever remember CI being all that popular or commonly talked about on the forum.

Anyone remember when all anyone here ever seemed to ride was a bonzer? Anyone seen a bonzer pop up on the forum recently? Then all anyone was allowed to ride was a twin keel. Had to have glassed on Gephart's. I think that was the order that it went in.

All of Album's boards are one-off glass jobs with resin tints. If you ask for a CI mid from CI with a custom resin tint that isn't one of their stock colors rest assured it won't be all that far off from $1300.
OTR the mids are close to $1300

You can easily get a custom HPSB that pushes that price.

Custom channel bottom, 5 fin, spine tech Pro….

551F796A-2801-458C-A82A-19B296AC3FCC.jpeg

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Never owned one. Rusty fills the exact same space in the market down here, so I just get those when I want a high performance board that doesn‘t age well.

Reactions: JDJ

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Oh yeah. Forgot about Burton. we were promised all kinds of revolutionary new build tech. Instead it seems they still mostly do poopees.
I will admit that the glass job is weak - hell dents on the deck after one session (GG would not approve) and since I have only had the board for a few months - unsure of its longevity. the fish beard works great and is super user friendly in chest to slightly overhead waves when the crowds are deep . Not a groveler and definitely not my daily driver.

Reactions: Ttboi

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
We just had a full on conversation about a good groveler for me to try (as an alternative to a Tomo) and the Pod Mod was the subject of the conversation. Not only that, Noel's new video discussing grovelers has a lot a to say about the Pod Mod as well. Also, just recently a long thread about the new Bobby Quad. I think C.I. is very relevant/popular and its sort of a silly thread that Casa made.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I had a rack UL Biscuit that I didn't click with. I forget if it was The Lab or the coordinates glass shop, but it went from CI to Titleist in like half a dozen surfs.

I remember the Speeddialler being all the rage, and the SD2 being all the rage.

I'd try any of the Neckbeards or Motorboats if I ever saw one in my size that wasn't colored like an overripe banana from wet dings and gone from craigslist in three days tops.

IMHO lost has way more options for an average surfer in average waves. I can't ride a Peregrine or a Five much around here and for years it seemed like the Pod was the only option between the K-Pro and the Sperm Whale (exaggeration but still).

Surf Station appears to have sold out of FCS and Future runs of every Happy in the line, in poly and Spank Tech. Ditto the Neck Beards. They had a run of gorgeous CI Fishes that were glassed ultralight. Almost all gone.

Unless I've got a massive YOLO hard-on or it's something I'm 99% sure I'll adore, like the PJ Pro, it feels rough buying a rack poly vs local custom for like 2-3 hundred less.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Funny enought they seem to have come full circle in the NE, their glassing problems seem to have vanished and now the only people I see on them can surf and seem to be riding customs.. sh!t to hip again, the wheel continues to spin

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
One look at SB cl and you well see a oversaturated kisting of CI boards sold for otr price because user bought to big with to much volume and could not turn like the pros:drowning: My main spotNorth reef see 75% or higher CI bords in line up. They work for many conditions user friendly etc but for price I would rather go else where that insures durability as well:shaka: