Cal Poly admins plot to reduce white students.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Surfdog said:
I'm wondering if UC Davis deals with this same issue?

Both Cal Poly SLO and UC Davis are heavy into the animal sciences (veterinary and farming/breeding). Not a lot of minorities interested in that field (rural) compared to other STEM type degrees. Many from all over the west go to these 2 UC's specifically for their extensive animal science programs. Could be one of many reasons these schools are more honky than the more urbanized campus'? Not a "true" reflection of "urban" California as a whole, unless you take the larger rural areas also into account. :shrug:
:foreheadslap:

Cal Poly is not a UC.

Engineering is, I believe, the most popular major at Poly and extremely competitive to get into.

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
There are 23 Public Cal State Universities currently in California. Both Cal Poly SLO and Cal Poly Pomona are some of the "top" CSU's highly regarded in Engineering. Many majors now impacted at most Cal States with demand outstripping supply. They are currently proposing 3 more Cal State locations. The UC's need new locations due to huge demand as well. Budget issues are a major hurdle at the moment. Will not see any new UC's for a long time.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
rice said:
ifallalot said:
the janitor said:
Star wrestler loses scholarship to Cal Poly SLO after anti-gay slur

"A star California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo wrestling recruit had his scholarship rescinded after being caught on video yelling an anti-gay slur at a rally in Modesto, California.

Bronson Harmon, 18, was with his father at a Families Belong Together march on June 30, which was protesting the Trump administration policy of separating families at the border. As a counter-demonstrator, Harmon, holding a "Donald Trump 2016" sign, was filmed yelling "F— you, f—t" at a camera videotaping him."

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Wrestler-scholarship-anti-gay-rant-cal-poly-slo-13085849.php

oops
BUT I THOUGHT THE ONLY BIGOTS WERE TRUMP SUPPORTERS
Wut?
Yup.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
FecalFace said:
rice said:
ifallalot said:
the janitor said:
Star wrestler loses scholarship to Cal Poly SLO after anti-gay slur

"A star California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo wrestling recruit had his scholarship rescinded after being caught on video yelling an anti-gay slur at a rally in Modesto, California.

Bronson Harmon, 18, was with his father at a Families Belong Together march on June 30, which was protesting the Trump administration policy of separating families at the border. As a counter-demonstrator, Harmon, holding a "Donald Trump 2016" sign, was filmed yelling "F— you, f—t" at a camera videotaping him."

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Wrestler-scholarship-anti-gay-rant-cal-poly-slo-13085849.php

oops
BUT I THOUGHT THE ONLY BIGOTS WERE TRUMP SUPPORTERS
Wut?
Yup.
Wait. Let's back up a minute.

A person who wears a leotard and rolls on the ground with others of the same sex to the point that they have gotten skilled enough to get a scholarship for it is calling other people fags? :roflmao:

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Duffy said:
bigsurfer67 said:
Duffy said:
bigsurfer67 said:
Thought about going there growing up in "white bread" South OC back in the day, but didn't want an extension of high school with the same homogeneous students. Not sure I would have had the discipline to go to class by the beach as an 18 year old due to surfing. Made the tougher choice and headed inland to the most diverse UC school at UC Riverside. Received a great education there as well as being exposed to all different races which helped shape me in to the person I am today.
My jr high school was 70% non-white and my high school was 65% non-white.

What do I win?
I wish my junior high and high school was more diverse like that since it is the reality in California and in the nation. Best to be exposed to diversity and not live in a segregrated, insular community which unfortunately many do. Helps you grow up when you are young and immature.
Is there something inherently different about people that don’t share roughly the same skin tone as you?

I’d like to hear what those differences are that creates this “diversity” you mention.

What are some human traits that come with skin color?

Please fill us in here.
he seems to be talking about communities :shrug:

back in the prehistoric era when I went to Davis we'd play in winter soccer leagues that ranged throughout the central valley. Horror upon horrors, The adult one was know as the Mexican league, despite the fact that some of the teams were mostly Fijian or Iranian or Honduran. For sure those games had unique flavors based upon the community. Ranging from

- the super rascist rednecks in Roseville, where the parents would yell slurs from the sidelines. We started wearing eye liner to those games to really amp up the angst. Our Iranian goalie would wear mascara and rouge and dye his hair just for that weekend. Then we'd run up the score as high as possible.

- to one very small town outside of Turlock, which was mostly Mexicans. Their field was right next to their church. So our games would start about 30 minutes after the last mass on Sunday. The fans would be dressed in their Sunday finest and they wanted to see blood flowing on the field asap. The ref's were only calling fouls on one team. Brutal games, and we'd all be hoping in cars right after the final whistle to get the hell out of there before things got serious.

It was awesome, each weekend was different depending upon where you played.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I saw the Missing Link while working at a site in Turlock. He had fucked up meth teeth, a mullet, cut off jeans and a mesh muscle shirt.

Drove a camaro.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
some things that were so common and normal growing up can ruin you today. different times.

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
JEwing said:
hammies said:
Cal Poly:
55% White
17% Latino
13% Asian
15% Misc.

All CSUs:
22% White
41% Latino
16% Asian
18% Misc

All of California:
40% White
38% Latino
13% Asian
9% Misc
Welcome to the golden state where the Blacks are the Misc.
Thanks for those numbers above...Cal Poly SLO has the highest Caucasian population (55%) of ANY of the 23 Cal State University Locations as well as the 9 University of California Locations. Affirmative Action was abolished in 1999 in California, however most locations use "holistic" admissions as well where financial "needs based" considerations which carry some weight as the mission of PUBLIC education is equal access opportunities for ALL (poor, rich, and everything in between)...which is challenging to get perfectly right to say the least.

University of California Demographics (at all 9 locations) as follows...

30% Asian
25% White
21% Hispanic
16% International
4% Black
3% Other
1% Native American

I used to get into debates with my African American roommate (on a tennis scholarship) late into the night at UC Riverside when they still had Affirmative Action. He was for it, and I was against it. I'm still against it and would be all for only using only GPA and test scores in the admissions process (although the best schools will be close to ALL Asian if this happens). However I do acknowledge that the wealthy have many more opportunites in education so they have advantages which need to be balanced out somehow...example...Asian "Tiger Moms" sending their kids (that don't have to get jobs outside of school) to expensive SAT Test Prep Centers when they are still very young and so forth.

The Top students should definitely be at the Top Universities and any College with a high Asian population will be a VERY GOOD school!

An interesting article about how Affirmative Action is Discriminating against Asians at Harvard (PRIVATE Ivy League where it is still practiced) here...click link..
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ixzZYxM7Hc