Cal Poly admins plot to reduce white students.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
ifallalot said:
bird. said:
ifallalot said:
Regardless of what the admission standards end up being, whether Cal Poly practices systematic racism or remains merit-based, the "diversity" initiatives are a massive waste of money in both administrative costs and for those who are paying tuition.

None of those initiatives have the slightest connection to the STEM degrees that a Polytechnic University exists to award to graduates
It's like you guys took surfy's post as absolute gospel and ignored everything rice posted. What's up with that?
My post wasn't about the admission, it was about the diversity initiatives mentioned in the article. Rice posted about the admission requirements.
It's a public state university, why shouldn't it encourage a student body representative of the demographics of CA?

I will say, that the student body when I attended (2003-2007) was not the most welcoming to non-white students (and that's putting it mildly.) Sometimes it takes a little investment to fix that.

Personally, I'd be a lot more likely to take their phone calls asking for donations if they managed to fix their shitty campus culture, so there might be some connection to the quality of the programs.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
bird. said:
ifallalot said:
bird. said:
ifallalot said:
Regardless of what the admission standards end up being, whether Cal Poly practices systematic racism or remains merit-based, the "diversity" initiatives are a massive waste of money in both administrative costs and for those who are paying tuition.

None of those initiatives have the slightest connection to the STEM degrees that a Polytechnic University exists to award to graduates
It's like you guys took surfy's post as absolute gospel and ignored everything rice posted. What's up with that?
My post wasn't about the admission, it was about the diversity initiatives mentioned in the article. Rice posted about the admission requirements.
It's a public state university, why shouldn't it encourage a student body representative of the demographics of CA?

I will say, that the student body when I attended (2003-2007) was not the most welcoming to non-white students (and that's putting it mildly.) Sometimes it takes a little investment to fix that.

Personally, I'd be a lot more likely to take their phone calls asking for donations if they managed to fix their shitty campus culture, so there might be some connection to the quality of the programs.
That's fine if they're talking about advertising in minority areas or something like that, but using race as an admission requirement is racism

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
bird. said:
I will say, that the student body when I attended (2003-2007) was not the most welcoming to non-white students (and that's putting it mildly.)

...their shitty campus culture, .
Still seems to be the case.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
it seems like income-based assistance programs are a more equitable
approach than race-based programs.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
ifallalot said:
That's fine if they're talking about advertising in minority areas or something like that, but using race as an admission requirement is racism
So... you didn't read the article rice posted then?

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
surfy1476 said:
hammies said:
the janitor said:
surfy1476 said:
its 2018...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_7kVn4ejq0[/video]

Aaand unimpressive. Asswhipes "fighting" asswhipes. What else you got :shrug:
I couldn't tell from that video which group of assholes was which.
The guys that weigh over 180 are right wing, the girls that weight over 180 are left wing.
What about the 95 lb gal in the yoga pants smoking a cig that stopped the guy in his tracks :confused2:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
bird. said:
ifallalot said:
I did. Rice's articles were refuting the accusation they were going to use racist tactics in admissions.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
afoaf said:
it seems like income-based assistance programs are a more equitable
approach than race-based programs.
Income-based assistance programs usually just saddle poor people with more debt

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
ifallalot said:
bird. said:
ifallalot said:
I did. Rice's articles were refuting the accusation they were going to use racist tactics in admissions.
The ifallbot seems to be stuck in a loop. Can someone troubleshoot?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
bird. said:
ifallalot said:
bird. said:
ifallalot said:
The ifallbot seems to be stuck in a loop. Can someone troubleshoot?
What game are you playing here? What do you want me to take from Rice's article?

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
ifallalot said:
ifallalot said:
Rice's articles were refuting the accusation they were going to use racist tactics in admissions.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
bird. said:
ifallalot said:
ifallalot said:
Rice's articles were refuting the accusation they were going to use racist tactics in admissions.
All true

What are you not seeing here?

Or are you going to say that using race in admission is not racist?

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
ifallalot said:
bird. said:
ifallalot said:
bird. said:
ifallalot said:

Re-read this entire exchange and see if you can figure it out.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Rice's article refuted the article in the OP.

The article in the OP talked about the admission requirements and then went onto talk about diversity awards and mandatory classes. Those are a waste of time and money regardless of your experience there, especially at a school that is mainly STEM. That being said, I'm of the mind that all courses outside of your area of study are a waste of time and money but that's neither here nor there.

Rice's article talked about the admission requirements and then said that they're going to remain with merit based admissions. Regardless of how they are admitting people, simply the idea of bringing race into admission is a racist policy. I never said that Cal Poly is now admitting based on race, I'm simply saying the policy when practiced anywhere is racist

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
ifallalot said:

The article in the OP talked about the admission requirements and then went onto talk about diversity awards and mandatory classes. Those are a waste of time and money regardless of your experience there, especially at a school that is mainly STEM. That being said, I'm of the mind that all courses outside of your area of study are a waste of time and money but that's neither here nor there.

Rice's article talked about the admission requirements and then said that they're going to remain with merit based admissions. Regardless of how they are admitting people, simply the idea of bringing race into admission is a racist policy. I never said that Cal Poly is now admitting based on race, I'm simply saying the policy when practiced anywhere is racist
Despite the fact that the article makes it clear that they are not considering race in admission, you follow it up with this:

ifallalot said:
That is what makes your posting look like a broken bot.

I really don't think those things are a waste of money on a campus that's straight up hostile to non-white students and is absurdly segregated when it comes to the small number of minority students who do attend. I know you disagree, but I also don't think you've got much knowledge about the climate on campus there.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
bird. said:
ifallalot said:

Despite the fact that the article makes it clear that they are not considering race in admission, you follow it up with this:

ifallalot said:
That is what makes your posting look like a broken bot.

I really don't think those things are a waste of money on a campus that's straight up hostile to non-white students and is absurdly segregated when it comes to the small number of minority students who do attend. I know you disagree, but I also don't think you've got much knowledge about the climate on campus there.
I was talking about the idea of it. I guess I can see the confusion.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Star wrestler loses scholarship to Cal Poly SLO after anti-gay slur

"A star California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo wrestling recruit had his scholarship rescinded after being caught on video yelling an anti-gay slur at a rally in Modesto, California.

Bronson Harmon, 18, was with his father at a Families Belong Together march on June 30, which was protesting the Trump administration policy of separating families at the border. As a counter-demonstrator, Harmon, holding a "Donald Trump 2016" sign, was filmed yelling "F— you, f—t" at a camera videotaping him."

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Wrestler-scholarship-anti-gay-rant-cal-poly-slo-13085849.php

oops

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
the janitor said:
Star wrestler loses scholarship to Cal Poly SLO after anti-gay slur

"A star California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo wrestling recruit had his scholarship rescinded after being caught on video yelling an anti-gay slur at a rally in Modesto, California.

Bronson Harmon, 18, was with his father at a Families Belong Together march on June 30, which was protesting the Trump administration policy of separating families at the border. As a counter-demonstrator, Harmon, holding a "Donald Trump 2016" sign, was filmed yelling "F— you, f—t" at a camera videotaping him."

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Wrestler-scholarship-anti-gay-rant-cal-poly-slo-13085849.php

oops
Well, there's always Trump University.