CA storm this weekend

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Governor Newsom has been moved out of Sacramento and into a safe house.

This the real deal people.

Up to 4 inches of rain expected in SD county over the next few days.

If you live in CA you'd best get your affairs in order.

Storm pr0n!! Actually, this is impact based forecasting pr0n.

Fear sells. CW3E called this event a 3 out of 5, mimicking the Saffir-Simpson (hurricane) scale. Imagine if they called it a 5.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The media/government hype never matched what was actually forecast and now it’s looking like what was forecast turned out to also be overhyped.

As of now it’s even more of a dud than I was predicting earlier.

And this hype will happen again and again.

And the statist, good little subjects, corporate media brainwashed scaredycat crybully fascist lovers that post here will continue to lap it up and flame me for saying, “see, i told you so…again.”

I’ll be dropping those fins off around 8:30am tomorrow on my way to Ventura where I’ll be working all day outside.
They’re saying we’re going to get 8 trillion gallons of rain but we got at least 80 trillion last year. Most of it ended up safely in the ocean to maintain delta salinity and keep farmers from getting flooded so we’re still in a drought haha

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The media/government hype never matched what was actually forecast and now it’s looking like what was forecast turned out to also be overhyped.

As of now it’s even more of a dud than I was predicting earlier.

And this hype will happen again and again.
It erodes public trust and is actually counterproductive.

Case in point, my parents live in a zone exposed hurricanes/coastal flooding.

They always erred on the side of caution, until in recent years they kept getting boy-who-cried-wolf evacuation orders over and over again. A hassle, a waste of time and money.

Eventually they just started saying f-it, we're not leaving. Same with other people in the neighborhood. And every storm/evacuation warning since has been way overblown.

I’ll be dropping those fins off around 8:30am tomorrow on my way to Ventura where I’ll be working all day outside.
Stay home, stay safe brah. It's just not worth it.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Case in point, my parents live in a zone exposed hurricanes/coastal flooding.

They always erred on the side of caution, until in recent years they kept getting boy-who-cried-wolf evacuation orders over and over again. A hassle, a waste of time and money.

Eventually they just started saying f-it, we're not leaving. Same with other people in the neighborhood. And every storm/evacuation warning since has been way overblown.

Stay home, stay safe brah. It's just not worth it.
I had people calling me from the east coast about the hurricane this summer - “WILL YOU NE OKAAAAY???”. I looked at NOAA and the forecast was very modest. The weather agencies are ackshually quite good and sane, the press is not. Boy who cried wolf.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I had people calling me from the east coast about the hurricane this summer - “WILL YOU NE OKAAAAY???”. I looked at NOAA and the forecast was very modest. The weather agencies are ackshually quite good and sane, the press is not. Boy who cried wolf.
you still have phone service down there?!? wtf

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
20 people died in the debris flow in Montecito due in large part to the erosion of public trust, coupled with the incompetent way in which people were told to evacuate to be “safe” from a rainstorm.

The area had been under an evacuation order for several weeks due to the Thomas fire. This order was in place for way too long after the threat of fire to the area had ceased to exist. It was, if memory serves, about two full weeks too long. People eventually got so pissed off that the evac order was lifted due to the impending mass non-compliance that brewing. My old next door neighbor is very high up the food chain at SBFD - very high up. He was livid with the sheriff department’s refusal to allow residents back into their homes in Cito and Mission Canyon areas.

They had the national guard blocking roads into these areas.

IMG_4105.jpeg

My father-in-law who is a Mission Canyon resident stayed with us for what amounted to about a month because he was not allowed back into his house. Our rental unit had two families from Cito staying in it - free of charge btw - for that time. We had 12 people staying on our property - 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms total - during that time so we had a good feel for the general attitudes that were formed.

The fire evacuation order was finally lifted and people went home.

It was a few days later that the rain storm hit. Another evacuation order was issued for Montecito, rather hastily, and they used the same maps used for fire evacuations for the rain evacuations.

Pretty much everyone ignored the order. A crazy downpour occurred in a very isolated area that had just had all of it’s vegetation replaced with ash and charcoal right above Montecito and the ensuing debris flow killed 20 people, including a friend of mine.

Now they’re fighting their last war every time it rains, a war that they lost the first time around.

At least now they only evacuate the specific areas that are at least theoretically threatened.

The funny thing is that the conditions that precipitated that debris flow were very specific and the key component - a burned out vegetation free front country coupled with debris filled creeks - no longer exists.

Vegetation is back, creeks are now cleared regularly and giant debris basins have been constructed.

Oh and it stopped raining too.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
It's kind of a sideways mist here in Newport beach but out of the South.

Was a bit heavy earlier but not too bad now.

I think the heavy stuff is still yet to come later tonight?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I went to Trader Joe’s that morning to pick up some cookies and it looked like a riot was about to pop off from people clearing the shelves in a panic.

Even though I had been tracking the hurricane for potential swell - maybe because I had been tracking it - I literally had no idea what was going on. I asked a lady. She said a hurricane was coming.

I said, “you know you have a weather app on your phone, right?”

That hurricane was never forecast to make landfall in California as a hurricane.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
20 people died in the debris flow in Montecito due in large part to the erosion of public trust, coupled with the incompetent way in which people were told to evacuate to be “safe” from a rainstorm.

The area had been under an evacuation order for several weeks due to the Thomas fire. This order was in place for way too long after the threat of fire to the area had ceased to exist. It was, if memory serves, about two full weeks too long. People eventually got so pissed off that the evac order was lifted due to the impending mass non-compliance that brewing. My old next door neighbor is very high up the food chain at SBFD - very high up. He was livid with the sheriff department’s refusal to allow residents back into their homes in Cito and Mission Canyon areas.

They had the national guard blocking roads into these areas.

My father-in-law who is a Mission Canyon resident stayed with us for what amounted to about a month because he was not allowed back into his house. Our rental unit had two families from Cito staying in it - free of charge btw - for that time. We had 12 people staying on our property - 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms total - during that time so we had a good feel for the general attitudes that were formed.

The fire evacuation order was finally lifted and people went home.

It was a few days later that the rain storm hit. Another evacuation order was issued for Montecito, rather hastily, and they used the same maps used for fire evacuations for the rain evacuations.

Pretty much everyone ignored the order. A crazy downpour occurred in a very isolated area that had just had all of it’s vegetation replaced with ash and charcoal right above Montecito and the ensuing debris flow killed 20 people, including a friend of mine.

Now they’re fighting their last war every time it rains, a war that they lost the first time around.

At least now they only evacuate the specific areas that are at least theoretically threatened.

The funny thing is that the conditions that precipitated that debris flow were very specific and the key component - a burned out vegetation free front country coupled with debris filled creeks - no longer exists.

Vegetation is back, creeks are now cleared regularly and giant debris basins have been constructed.

Oh and it stopped raining too.
They died in Montecito because it rained a half inch in 5 minutes 2 weeks after the biggest fire in recorded history.
NWS issued warnings.
You can't blame NOAA for that.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
They died in Montecito because it rained a half inch in 5 minutes 2 weeks after the biggest fire in recorded history.
NWS issued warnings.
You can't blame NOAA for that.
where did I blame noaa?

and did you even read my post?

did you see the part where I explained exactly why the debris happened and how those conditions are not present now, making the current panic way overblown?

Quote from the post you just replied to….

A crazy downpour occurred in a very isolated area that had just had all of it’s vegetation replaced with ash and charcoal right above Montecito and the ensuing debris flow killed 20 people, including a friend of mine.”

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I agree. You miss if the roads get washed out.
Last month they closed the 101 here because there was a 3 inch deep puddle in one of the northbound lanes.

Don‘t judge the severity of an incident based on the government’s reaction to it. Base it on the actual incident itself.

Have you not learned anything in the last few years?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Last month they closed the 101 here because there was a 3 inch deep puddle in one of the northbound lanes.

Don‘t judge the severity of an incident based on the government’s reaction to it. Base it on the actual incident itself.

Have you not learned anything in the last few years?
Authoritarianism!

Theyre taking our rights to attend school in person for one day!

theyll never get that power back! Look at the places where snow days are common - just a coincidence those are the communist areas of America? I think not!