CA Beaches Done

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
People forget that we would have a Georgia , Florida, or Washington situation on our hands if he didn't react when he did.

I thought he fucked up here a bit, but at the same time he didn't do anything. Media leaked a plan that never even happened and everyone lost their sh!t (rightfully). But I don't think complaining online moved the needle.
It was pretty disturbing to me to see the progression from last night about this 'memo' to this morning where it seemed to be almost set in stone with all sorts of people sounding off about all sorts of bullshit. We really need to take a step back and quit feeding the machine. Technology seems to be playing the biggest role in dividing us more and more. Yes I know I just stuffed my foot in my own mouth.

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Reality check on those images showing slammed beaches in OC:

This needs more coverage; especially the flyover footage. Hopefully it's seen by enough crocodile feeders

I wouldn't be surprised if it was all planned. Announce statewide closures and after everyone complains that they shouldn't be punished for the actions of Newport and HB, then only punish Orange County. Or he received so much backlash leading up to today's press conference that shutting down OC was the only way he thought he could save face

• Love
Reactions: PRCD and Ifallalot

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
This needs more coverage; especially the flyover footage. Hopefully it's seen by enough crocodile feeders

I wouldn't be surprised if it was all planned. Announce statewide closures and after everyone complains that they shouldn't be punished for the actions of Newport and HB, then only punish Orange County. Or he received so much backlash leading up to today's press conference that shutting down OC was the only way he thought he could save face
I was in Huntington and Newport that day. Afternoon by HB Pier was looking like a summer afternoon. Bumper to bumper traffic. HB sand was pretty full but not like in the photo, but it was busier than the fly over footage. I drove through Newport earlier in the day and there was no parking anywhere and people were all over the place. Not sure about the photo but it was busy after the sun came out. And people weren't social distancing. They were situated in packs larger than a family.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
“Specific issues on some of those beaches have raised alarm bells,” Newsom said. “People that are congregating there, that weren’t practicing physical distancing, that may go back to their community outside of Orange County and may not even know that they contracted the disease and now they put other people at risk, put our hospital system at risk.”

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
it was super fun this morning. so is actually closed tommorow? just the beach, waves too? Only OC?
I'll see whether the waves are actually closed or not. I'm planning on paddling out in the dark and seeing what happens as the sun comes up

HB council said they were meeting at 5pm today, hasn't been another release since

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'll see whether the waves are actually closed or not. I'm planning on paddling out in the dark and seeing what happens as the sun comes up

HB council said they were meeting at 5pm today, hasn't been another release since

Newport Beach tweeted that they were going to obey the order but had asked that it be sent to them TO REALLY BE SURE. HB had that meeting. The best thing for both of them to do was nothing. Don't answer the phones or check email. "I didn't get the memo." You don't have to talk about it with the Press.

It's unseemly for these city officials to yammer on about the governor's face-saving hissy fit. Let the whole thing blow over.

The governor has been defying laws his whole career. He should be used to it.

• Love
Reactions: Your Moms Dildo

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Newport Beach tweeted that they were going to obey the order but had asked that it be sent to them TO REALLY BE SURE. HB had that meeting. The best thing for both of them to do was nothing. Don't answer the phones or check email. "I didn't get the memo." You don't have to talk about it with the Press.

It's unseemly for these city officials to yammer on about the governor's face-saving hissy fit. Let the whole thing blow over.

The governor has been defying laws his whole career. He should be used to it.

I’m still going to make them prove it tomorrow

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I’m still going to make them prove it tomorrow
I just saw that. "WE'RE GOING TO CHALLENGE THIS IN THE COURT SYSTEM STACKED AGAINST US WITH MOONBEAM APPOINTEES!" That's really thinking strategically. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ifallalot

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I just saw that. "WE'RE GOING TO CHALLENGE THIS IN THE COURT SYSTEM STACKED AGAINST US WITH MOONBEAM APPOINTEES!" That's really thinking strategically. :rolleyes:
Tougher without Rohrabacher and the Taliban in his back pocket.

Reactions: tacos

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Tougher without Rohrabacher and the Taliban in his back pocket.
I know a union tradesman who did some work in Governor Bateman's house. Bateman pressured my friend to violate building codes he signed into law to save a few thousand bux with, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM????" "Yes, I do, Mr. Newsom. It says so right here on the work order." This went around for awhile until the foreman told him he didn't have to finish the job.

He's pretty used to stepping on the little guy and breaking laws when it suits him. He's made a career of it.

captyoda

Nep status
Feb 18, 2013
North County
To All you Trump supporters. I went surfing in Oceanside and the lineup was moderate only people walking by in the beach.
I went to my brothers house in Newport to deliver a crib for his new baby and I walked to the strand and it was Spring Break vibes with people everywhere, blankets, tents like nothing was going on.
I couldn’t believe it. Now 5 days later everyone is yelling Newsom sucks etc...like wtf? You guys serious? Orange County fucked up plain and simple. Anyone who is for real saw it. Unfortunately it wasn’t the surfers who messed it up, but the cities should of broke the people up on the beach. If you set up a tent in Oceanside the lifeguards will come over and say no go. Are we supposed to think Orange County can do what they want when everyone else is doing their part? Cmon

captyoda

Nep status
Feb 18, 2013
North County
I know a union tradesman who did some work in Governor Bateman's house. Bateman pressured my friend to violate building codes he signed into law to save a few thousand bux with, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM????" "Yes, I do, Mr. Newsom. It says so right here on the work order." This went around for awhile until the foreman told him he didn't have to finish the job.

He's pretty used to stepping on the little guy and breaking laws when it suits him. He's made a career of it.
So what Trump fucked over trades in New Jersey all the time. Gromsdad should know this because trump was a democrat at the time and it was common knowledge not to do business with Trump in Jersey in the 90s.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I was in Huntington and Newport that day. Afternoon by HB Pier was looking like a summer afternoon. Bumper to bumper traffic. HB sand was pretty full but not like in the photo, but it was busier than the fly over footage. I drove through Newport earlier in the day and there was no parking anywhere and people were all over the place. Not sure about the photo but it was busy after the sun came out. And people weren't social distancing. They were situated in packs larger than a family.
So funny people trying to refute the pics of the seen in Newport over the weekend.
IMO there’s no way the Gov couldn’t have taken some form of action after seeing them. Every single person I’ve asked about those pics shakes their head and is like wtf??

IMO, the way SD beaches have so far approached the reopening of ocean/beach access has been successful. Walk/run/paddle/surf. No sitting/laying/hanging...you’re good! Is that an old Bassy saying?

I hope those cities adopt the same approach as I think that will lead to the ocean and beach being available like it currently is in SD and elsewhere.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
To All you Trump supporters. I went surfing in Oceanside and the lineup was moderate only people walking by in the beach.
I went to my brothers house in Newport to deliver a crib for his new baby and I walked to the strand and it was Spring Break vibes with people everywhere, blankets, tents like nothing was going on.
I couldn’t believe it. Now 5 days later everyone is yelling Newsom sucks etc...like wtf? You guys serious? Orange County fucked up plain and simple. Anyone who is for real saw it. Unfortunately it wasn’t the surfers who messed it up, but the cities should of broke the people up on the beach. If you set up a tent in Oceanside the lifeguards will come over and say no go. Are we supposed to think Orange County can do what they want when everyone else is doing their part? Cmon
Yep

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
So funny people trying to refute the pics of the seen in Newport over the weekend.
IMO there’s no way the Gov couldn’t have taken some form of action after seeing them. Every single person I’ve asked about those pics shakes their head and is like wtf??

IMO, the way SD beaches have so far approached the reopening of ocean/beach access has been successful. Walk/run/paddle/surf. No sitting/laying/hanging...you’re good! Is that an old Bassy saying?

I hope those cities adopt the same approach as I think that will lead to the ocean and beach being available like it currently is in SD and elsewhere.
In LA, i see everyone is basically wearing masks going into places and walking around. In OC, you'd think nothing was happening. Maybe about 50% of the poeple wearing masks. Lots of people going into business without anything.

Reactions: CutnSnip