Buying a new couch

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm constantly churning through my sh!t....I don't have the bandwidth to put everything back alphabetically

I alpha'd the jazz in to three character groups and then had buckets for rock, hip hop, soul, reggae

I never know what to do with the weird electronic sh!t

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I'd file both in D-major. Three songs d-major, and also b-minor is (mostly) the same notes as d-major

Dance music is famously static in BPM. Dancing to 80bpm or 45bpm is a lot different than at 22obpm.
I guess A# minor was a bad example (B flat m)
album 2 is two different relative major/minor keys (D/Bm & E/C#m)
Man, I guess I'm glad I'm not a DJ and have to organize vinyl :drowning:

Reactions: Boneroni

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Most albums aren't in the same key or BPM. Even if some are, some aren't, so organizing albums by that doesn't make sense. For digital single songs I guess that makes sense if you're DJ'ing and doing segues and overlaying & chit. I suppose a DJ could have some fun if they know even a little bit of theory.
not trying to argue with you, just saying I personally know Dj's who categorize their record collections and record bags this way because of the music theory you mentioned.

bpm is irrelevant because you have pitch control on a turntable made for dj'ing like a technics 1200 and MOST dance music is like 110- 130 bpms.

not sure about the whole digital thing. i stopped dj'ing out around the same time cd players started replacing turntables at clubs and parties.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
sh!t is it too late to provide upper left and lower right of books?

Actually have a few different book cases (and need another) but on main one, Bachman Books (Stephen King) upper left and Caine Mutiny (Wouk) on lower right.

I used to be hyper-anal and shelve books by author/release also but that kind of waned over time.

Visited my mom's place a little while ago, had forgotten but damn, she has a bunch of old vinyl. No idea of all of it but did see that one Herb Alpert album while browsing. All those years, I really had no idea.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
not trying to argue with you, just saying I personally know Dj's who categorize their record collections and record bags this way because of the music theory you mentioned.

bpm is irrelevant because you have pitch control on a turntable made for dj'ing like a technics 1200 and MOST dance music is like 110- 130 bpms.

not sure about the whole digital thing. i stopped dj'ing out around the same time cd players started replacing turntables at clubs and parties.
Reading this is making my head hurt.

If I had records and if I organized them, I'd go by color.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Oh, I wasn't arguing, I still can't wrap my head around the idea. Sounds like "well it's sort of in the key of ___ because it has the most notes from that scale", or something like that.

For example, with our best friend the Circle of 5ths for reference. What key would this album be in???

Purple Rain by Prince

Let's go crazy - Bm
Take me with u - AM
The Beautiful Ones - FM
Computer Blue - C#
Darling Nikki - BM
Doves Cry - CM
I would die for you - C#m
Baby I'm a star = DM
Purple Rain - B flat M

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 4.49.00 PM.png

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Oh, I wasn't arguing, I still can't wrap my head around the idea. Sounds like "well it's sort of in the key of ___ because it has the most notes from that scale", or something like that.

For example, with our best friend the Circle of 5ths for reference. What key would this album be in???

Purple Rain by Prince

Let's go crazy - Bm
Take me with u - AM
The Beautiful Ones - FM
Computer Blue - C#
Darling Nikki - BM
Doves Cry - CM
I would die for you - C#m
Baby I'm a star = DM
Purple Rain - B flat M

View attachment 115670
ok i think the disconnect is youre talking about albums and how you would categorize that album in itslelf with so many tracks being dif keys. where would it go? i get it.

DJ's mostly buy E.P.'s maybe 2 tracks per record or 4 max. They probably only play one of those songs off the record regularly. So if that song off the record is in A-Minor - they'd put it next to a bunch of other records where the song they play off it is also A- Minor. make sense?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Reading this is making my head hurt.

If I had records and if I organized them, I'd go by color.
you would....

No sound system here would work with the constant noise from the ocean, nor would it withstand the salt environment.
I have El Ogro's entire playlist memorized front to fkn back....

CARMELITA, HOLD ME TIGHTER...I THINK I'M SINKING DOWN

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni