Buying a new couch

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I've never bought a new couch and I realllllllly don't want to spend $2,500 on a single piece of furniture.
Been to stores in LA and Oxtura and SB, but can't make sense of anything.
Prices and quality seem all over the place, so I have no way to assess what's a good or bad deal.

If I want a couch that doesn't hurt my back (and that my wife is happy with) do I have to spend $2,500?

For your troubles....
rambo-estrada-new-zealand-surfing-raglan-DSC02936.jpeg

Reactions: potato-nator

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I did living spaces for my new couch as I knew kids would trash it.
‘I tend to go big on new things I will be keeping for a while.

i was very pleasantly surprised The couch is super comfortable and is holding up well.

Reactions: Boneroni

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I'd probably base the $ spent on:
1. How old are the kids?
2. Pets, (cat scratch post)? Will the dog(s) behave and not use the sofa.
3. Snack and beverage consumption location.
4. etc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Last year, after my back injury, we tried looking for one with a high back, so I wouldn't have to slouch down to have head support while watching movies or the Trump show. The high backed ones looked so awful and were so high priced ($1500 for leather) that we gave up. Now I lie on the floor and my wife stretches out on our sofa.

This was the closest we got to pulling the trigger but we were never crazy about the looks. It was just less bad. Just saw the price has gone up $300.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
did living spaces as well - spend about 1700 on a decent couch with a chaise.. super comfy, stylish, and now my cats favorite scratch toy.
Hahaha!
After my chica moved her and her kids out I bought a nice new combo from Room and Board.
Unfortunately the cats she left behind tore it up in the first two weeks. :oops:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Hahaha!
After my chica moved her and her kids out I bought a nice new combo from Room and Board.
Unfortunately the cats she left behind tore it up in the first two weeks. :oops:
yea i got stuck with a cat too about 8 years ago. ex GF moved out and couldn't bring her cat to the new pad. feral little fucker too. luckily this couch doesn't show the wear to bad. every once in a while ill get a scissor and cut off any frays and it looks new again.

if i'm not expecting company i have throw blankets over the "hotspots"

pets and nice furniture just dont mix. either a dog is going to get it all dirty or the ct eill rip it shreds. wish the ex stuck with me some fish.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
4k on two leather reclining sofas from living spaces. kids are fine, it's the two dogs we didn't plan for. they're actully holding up pretty well to the dogs.

it was fairly spendy but I sit in the same thing every day and it's comfy as fvck. like a bed, spend the money and get something you like.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Under no circumstances should you buy a couch online. Always plop your ass on the actual item for a good long time before shelling out $$$. Wifey bought one on Wayfair because it looked good and the reviews said it's comfy. Fook that, the thing is uncomfortable, the material doesn't feel good, and we are now stuck with an expensive POS.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Under no circumstances should you buy a couch online. Always plop your ass on the actual item for a good long time before shelling out $$$. Wifey bought one on Wayfair because it looked good and the reviews said it's comfy. Fook that, the thing is uncomfortable, the material doesn't feel good, and we are now stuck with an expensive POS.
agreed. did this with patio furniture due to availability. it's not horrible but definitely not what we expected.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Bought a sofa at Macy's for $800 about 8 years ago.. It's small (actually it's normal for 1960/70s) compared to most these days, but we like small. More for a salon type sitch than sleeping while Netflix & chill.

Macy's has a similar sofa, a bit wider, in burgundy, for $1300.

Edit: No dogs allowed on sofa.

messages_0 (1).jpeg

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I've never bought a new couch and I realllllllly don't want to spend $2,500 on a single piece of furniture.
Been to stores in LA and Oxtura and SB, but can't make sense of anything.
Prices and quality seem all over the place, so I have no way to assess what's a good or bad deal.

If I want a couch that doesn't hurt my back (and that my wife is happy with) do I have to spend $2,500?

For your troubles....
View attachment 115427
GWS is ur guy. try the salmon color, it's the new thing!

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
every once in a while ill get a scissor and cut off any frays and it looks new again.
Hence your username? #Sofakingmanicurist.
I sold furniture for a little bit, but the real thing was signing people up for store credit cards and easy leasing. The furniture was very low price point comparitively speaking but theoretically higher end department stores carried nearly identical pieces, Boscovs would have sets with slight differences and different names/branding priced roughly 2-3 times as much as the same thing at BigLots.
I've had a set from BigLots with 8 years use on it which is great at those prices.
I'd love to get a really high quality living room set, but to be sure, you're probably gonna be spending several thousand dollars more and still, a cat could come along and trash it or your teenage son and his friends might one day decide to skate it like a parking curb. Karma's funny like that

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Craigs List.

There are people out there that redecorate their "living room" every couple of years. Nobody sits in the living room unless it's maybe Christmas time. So it's all in new condition. Target the leather stuff. Cloth creeps me out a little. I have a huge leather couch that my dogs mostly sleep on. The nice lady just wanted it gone. My son and I showed up with a longbed PU and carried it out. Free. She probably would have paid me to get rid of it. I've done this before. I got a huge lazy boy leather recliner that was never used for 100 bucks.

Yes. I am that cheap.

And, because a certain ilk expects this, I have a salmon colored couch I'm selling cheap.

Call me.