Buying a CPO vehicle

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
no one, hence the scam. its air. the same ding dongs who buy lojack and clearcoats are paying for stuff like this now.
I put nitrogen in my tires. Less thermal effect and less apt to leak out over time due to it being a larger molecule than air. I use compressed nitrogen for my work so it’s readily available to me. I literally carry it around with me.

Putting hydrogen in your tires seems like a really really bad idea. Like, I mean a really bad idea. Are you sure it’s hydrogen and not helium? I know that some cyclists put helium in their tires.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
This is exactly how to do it.

Don't budge during the negotiations, and just walk away when they say no.

Once you're in the car driving away they will usually call you within 10-20 minutes and tell you they'll accommodate.

But you have to be willing to walk away.
I did this with a friend who was buying a car. It was awful.

I can't believe people choose to live that way.

I'm never bought a new car.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I did this with a friend who was buying a car. It was awful.

I can't believe people choose to live that way.

I'm never bought a new car.
What was awful?

You know the price you are willing to pay; if they can't meet it you can't buy it.

They run around with the fake "Let me talk to my sales manager to see if we can do this."

There's really no stress.

Maybe there's stress if you're emotionally attached to the vehicle. That's not me.

Fun fact: lot of new and used car salesman are ex-cons.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Regular old atmospheric air is already 78-79% nitrogen and 20-21% oxygen....you don't really gain much putting pure anything else in the tire. Maybe worth to do 100% nitrogen if money or ego and winning track times is a thing, but I figure upgraded brakes and a good tune and being fully rested for the race is more valuable than 100% N2 in the tires.

The hydrogen thing, if true, is dorky for three reasons: cost, fire risk, and H2 is gonna leak out fast. How soon do helium balloons deflate after all due to similar molecular leaking?

Next you'll be saying the same thing about construction workers, general contractors, rock stars, prostitutes, GED holders, and about 8% of the USA population.

Anyway, one of the car salemen that one of sisters dated back in the day was an unconvicted coke dealer. He died of liver failure about a decade ago in a mobile home he rented from his sister in Bend, Oregon. His son plays the guitar well I hear.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What was awful?

You know the price you are willing to pay; if they can't meet it you can't buy it.

They run around with the fake "Let me talk to my sales manager to see if we can do this."

Maybe there's stress if you're emotionally attached to the vehicle. That's not me.

I can totally see a flat, hot af weekend in Florida, you need a new car, you tell yourself you're setting a solid chunk of Saturday/Sunday on fire and you rationalize it by saying it's 4 hours to earn $X,000 via price decrease.

But if you're not used to this pointless quasi-social-hierarchy posing bullshit wherein you must go through the time wasting and walking away routine, it's a fucking miserable way to waste a few hours, and lots of people just can't deal with getting jerked around all day.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I can totally see a flat, hot af weekend in Florida, you need a new car, you tell yourself you're setting a solid chunk of Saturday/Sunday on fire and you rationalize it by saying it's 4 hours to earn $X,000 via price decrease.

But if you're not used to this pointless quasi-social-hierarchy posing bullshit wherein you must go through the time wasting and walking away routine, it's a fucking miserable way to waste a few hours, and lots of people just can't deal with getting jerked around all day.
4 hours?

It's a few hours. You're maybe an hour over the fool who pays sticker price and you're saving $X,000.

This isn't rocket science and there's no playing games on your part.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I put nitrogen in my tires. Less thermal effect and less apt to leak out over time due to it being a larger molecule than air. I use compressed nitrogen for my work so it’s readily available to me. I literally carry it around with me.

Putting hydrogen in your tires seems like a really really bad idea. Like, I mean a really bad idea. Are you sure it’s hydrogen and not helium? I know that some cyclists put helium in their tires.

N is actually smaller than O. Like Doof said, air is already 78% N2, 21% O2. The case for N2 is that it's inert, like a noble gas.

Reactions: Mr Doof

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
We always ask, "What's your best 'out the door' price?" If they can't give us a 'out the door price' we walk. If they give it to us we ask how long it's valid for and that we will compare with other dealers. Some don't play ball so we walk. They don't like us because we don't finance either. Once when we told the salesman we would be apying cash, he was like, "What is this? A Mafia deal?" My wife, who is Italian, was offended and promptly got up and left. Another time, when we told them we would pay cash, the guy said, "Why would you do that? Everyone leverages. Look at Donald Trump." This was long before he ran for POTUS. Even then my wife didn't like Trump and we walked. The funny thing was we went to another dealer and got the exact same car we'd been dealing for...for less. The dealers must have agreements on (commonly held?) vehicles.

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
couldve had that confused with nitrogen.. either way. theyre charging you 500 for air in your tires.

i bought a new car last may. they tried to add in all these extras. i said no, they said they cant sell the car without them. i got up, walked towards he eit and all of the sudden they could sell it.

my biggest tip is to do as much online research and go in and get at least one quote from a competitor. know what your getting yourself into monetarily. the whole schtick falls apart if youre educated. got my whip for a few thousand below msrp.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
We always ask, "What's your best 'out the door' price?" If they can't give us a 'out the door price' we walk. If they give it to us we ask how long it's valid for and that we will compare with other dealers. Some don't play ball so we walk. They don't like us because we don't finance either.
This is another way to grind the dealership if you're so inclined.
Tell them you'll finance, and then negotiate a very low purchase price. Often times they'll give you the low purchase price and try to make up the profit by charging you a high interest rate.
Accept the high interest rate with the low purchase price and then go back the following week and pay the vehicle off. You get them coming and going.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Tell them you'll finance, and then negotiate a very low purchase price. Often times they'll give you the low purchase price and try to make up the profit by charging you a high interest rate.
Accept the high interest rate with the low purchase price and then go back the following week and pay the vehicle off. You get them coming and going.
Love that. Never thought of it. There is no pre-payment penalty?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What was awful?

I'm neurotic.

I can do that dance but it takes a toll.

My girl friend is energized by their cycling through of emotional appeals to manipulate.

That personality type is good for being a lawyer.

I think neurotics make great teachers and song writers.

Yes, car salesmen = con men

Reactions: Boneroni

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Yup

This is 2024 America, not some fucking tent in Tunisia.

The quicker dealers die and we go to direct buying the better

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
If you don't have all that cash you can fuck them over the same way by refinancing through Capital One of a credit union or something. Always multiple points cheaper