Buying a CPO vehicle

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
N is actually smaller than O. Like Doof said, air is already 78% N2, 21% O2. The case for N2 is that it's inert, like a noble gas.

“Nitrogen molecules are larger and slower moving than those of compressed air. “

Reactions: PRCD

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Love that. Never thought of it. There is no pre-payment penalty?
You can request an option contract when you're signing on the dotted line. That generally gives you 14 days to buy it out with no penalty.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
If you don't have all that cash you can fuck them over the same way by refinancing through Capital One of a credit union or something. Always multiple points cheaper
Yep. With all of the fuckery that car dealerships are guilty of, I don't feel the least bit bad for them.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Negotiation is an art.

Everything is up for negotiation, at every level.

Once you realise this, life in a bureaucratic, capitalist consumer society becomes so much more free and appealing.

Reactions: sdsrfr

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

“Nitrogen molecules are larger and slower moving than those of compressed air. “
I looked it up:
Molecular N 3.04 x 10^-10 m
Molecular O 2.95 x 10^-10 m

Molecular N doesn't move any slower than other gases at the same temp.

It's inert; whereas, oxygen is oxidizing.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I looked it up:
Molecular N 3.04 x 10^-10 m
Molecular O 2.95 x 10^-10 m

Molecular N doesn't move any slower than other gases at the same temp.

It's inert; whereas, oxygen is oxidizing.
You’re comparing nitrogen to oxygen. Nobody puts straight oxygen in their tires.

Compare it air.

And compress it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
After being on the phone with 3 different dealers today, then remembering the Costco thing, it seems the only time I've been getting dicked around is with Costco.

:shrug:

Filled out the Costco form and about 1 minute later I get the call from the dealer.

He gives me a straight rundown of the numbers and OTD price. Which was excellent. Said the vehicle was in transit.

Says he will send an email over with all the numbers in writing.

After that... silence. No email.

Around 3 hours later I called to see what was up. Was told the sales guy would be back from lunch in a few minutes. And...nothing.

Pretty odd behavior for a car salesman. My guess is the dealer did not want to sell with Costco pricing.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Seems this is another bullshit Costco member "benefit".

Just sent a few more Costco inquiries via zip codes in the OC, NV, and AZ.

Same bullshit runarounds and evasive tactics all the dealers use.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Seems this is another bullshit Costco member "benefit".

Just sent a few more Costco inquiries via zip codes in the OC, NV, and AZ.

Same bullshit runarounds and evasive tactics all the dealers use.
Caaaaasssaaaa Muuuuuuugriiiiieeeeentaaaa.

I am the Ghost of Christmas, er Two Pages Ago Past. Come walk with me, Casa Moogsies!

I can totally see a flat, hot af weekend in Florida, you need a new car, you tell yourself you're setting a solid chunk of Saturday/Sunday on fire and you rationalize it by saying it's 4 hours to earn $X,000 via price decrease.

But if you're not used to this pointless quasi-social-hierarchy posing bullshit wherein you must go through the time wasting and walking away routine, it's a fucking miserable way to waste a few hours, and lots of people just can't deal with getting jerked around all day.
4 hours?

It's a few hours. You're maybe an hour over the fool who pays sticker price and you're saving $X,000.

This isn't rocket science and there's no playing games on your part.
Have you learned anything about altruism and empathy?

If not, @Ifallalot here to help with cathartic reaction:

Yup

This is 2024 America, not some fucking tent in Tunisia.

The quicker dealers die and we go to direct buying the better

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
There might be vehicles that benefit from the warranty offered by CPO. When I went with a prius, it was already covered for 100k. The CPO would have been redundant.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

The 'smaller' part of that statement is empirically true:

However:
1714166557322.png

Is this worth it? Consumer Reports says:

We filled one tire per model with air and another with nitrogen. Both were filled to 30 psi (pounds per square inch) at room temperature. We set both tires outdoors for one year, then checked the inflation pressure at room temperature again.
Both tires lost pressure over that time, but the difference in loss was minimal. The average loss of air-filled tires was just 3.5 psi from the initial 30 psi setting. Nitrogen-filled tires lost an average of 2.2 psi.
The results show that nitrogen does reduce pressure loss, but the reduction was only a 1.3-psi difference from air-filled tires over an entire year.

And so, if the squeeze is worth the juice to those wanting to fill tires with N2, enjoy your choice in such things.

1714167920209.png

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm not following...

Just saying the Costco thing seems to have the normal jerkaround rate.
On page 1 I posted my opinion that the jerkaround sucks.

You appeared to claim it was no biggie on page 1.

On page 3, you used the word bullshit twice and runaround once and now jerkaround once to describe this.

I (and @Ifallalot) do not like this practice, and we feel your anger and wish you had something - possibly prized and brittle/fragile possession(s) of a car dealer and/or the person who total'd the Moogsiemobile - to smash in a fit of rage, because we empathize with our Moogsies and do not wish to see him figuratively jerked around.

• Haha
Reactions: Your Moms Dildo

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
On page 1 I posted my opinion that the jerkaround sucks.

You appeared to claim it was no biggie on page 1.

On page 3, you used the word bullshit twice and runaround once and now jerkaround once to describe this.

I (and @Ifallalot) do not like this practice, and we feel your anger and wish you had something - possibly prized and brittle/fragile possession(s) of a car dealer and/or the person who total'd the Moogsiemobile - to smash in a fit of rage, because we empathize with our Moogsies and do not wish to see him figuratively jerked around.
I'm not angry.

I'm just saying I wasted time doing the Costco thing - I should have just done what I always do.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach