Bruce is back

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Heard a story of Bruce and Andy at Polihale snorting nose candy all morning in their truck and causing fights with anyone and everyone.

My friend is a heavy local so I don’t think he has any reason to lie to me about it

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I'd love to hear the stories, especially knowing Kauai well enough that I can picture the scene, but we all know this is like the telephone game where the longer it gets repeated from person to person the further from reality it is.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’m sure it would have been epic to see them surf in person at one of their home breaks on a good day, but at least for me, I think I prefer the modern pros of Kauai I’ve surfed “with” who are pretty affable or at least normal, except of course surfing at a world class mind boggling level. at this point in my life, I would not have much patience or time for some coked up young local pro trying to start a fight with me at pine trees, let alone Polihalei lol. Not saying any number of those guys would not be able to kick my ass all over the potholes, but a younger subway would have tried to appease and mollify etc. 41 year old subway would tell them to **** off, and take my beatings if I lost

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Meh, I would drop a few names and do my thing and we’d be burning a fatty before long

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
When I lived on Kauai I always heard that I needed to get out of the water when "the boys" paddled out. I never quite figured out who they were. But I never had any issues.

The meth culture scared me though. When you see that look in a users eyes, do not pass go and collect $200. Turn around and move away very fast.

At one point when I lived there I looked very similar to Bruce. Same angular jaw and face etc. It was pretty funny going around the island and have people do double takes.

I remember one day going to that spot that throws the gnarliest barrel right by the cliff that you can watch from the road above (if you know, you know). Was a legit 20'+ on the face and wrapping around the bowl and spitting like three times. Saw AI and BI out that day along with other heavies. I didn't paddle out but simply watched from the beach. So unfreaking real! These guys air dropping 20' and then pulling in under the lip and then disappear. On almost every wave it would seem no way are they going to make it. Then sure enough they get spit out. I'll never forget that. But BI and AI were clearly the standouts amongst the pack.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Again.
If we are here for gossip, fire away. I wouldn't have wanted to deal with their bullshit either. By the time I got anywhere near them, Andy was obviously struggling with mental health medication and the physical impacts of it in his career and Bruce was dropping off the scene outside of a couple brilliant flashes in Hawaii.

But none of your friends, or local guys, or anyone else surfed anywhere near as well as Bruce and Andy at the time.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’ll second that. After a few Kauai trips under my belt, even going backhand at sizable cloud break wasn’t particularly intimidating. Beautiful and ming blowing, but not as scary some sessions on Kauai.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
Too Alpha for you?

Fair point. It's funny when you are in your 20s because a lot of us were somewhere on that spectrum, but by your late 30s/40s+ . . . . Not so much.

The clip of him connecting into the shorebreak backside at the Eddie is friggin all time.
Seriously who wasn't like that in their 20's? Since when are are surfers soft and calculated nerds?