Broccoli twin test

Mar 25, 2009
Re-watching the parts of Kale's first series (about HP boards) where he insists on riding the Flat Earth as a thruster, and then insisting on forcing it to do snappy thruster turns on slopey sections, and then finally saying it's too unforgiving... makes me wonder if he should be claiming to do an authoritative test of twin fins at all....

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Re-watching the parts of Kale's first series (about HP boards) where he insists on riding the Flat Earth as a thruster, and then insisting on forcing it to do snappy thruster turns on slopey sections, and then finally saying it's too unforgiving... makes me wonder if he should be claiming to do an authoritative test of twin fins at all....
No Salsa is just as bad. If they want every twin to surf like a thruster, why even bother

Mar 25, 2009
No Salsa is just as bad. If they want every twin to surf like a thruster, why even bother
I already gave up on Noem Chompsky cos last I checked, I'm not a former QS pro surfing perfect Lowers every single day... plus I kinda can't stand his voice and how he cocks his head up and points his chin at you all the time. Tbh though I think he puts out an alright product (ie. his yt vids), they're just not for me.

After writing my rant above, I went back and looked at FW's own video about the Fat Girth with Kevin Schulz and even though he's a super pro, he seemed to make the most sense compared to how I (shittily) surf the board myself, especially the bit about "you have to find its flow and go with it" (to paraphrase). I suspect all the other twins in Bronkley's vid should be treated similarly....

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
just watched it... his turns looked best on the lightbladder, dare I say, probably b/c of the fin placement. also, the Indiana Jones hat he's wearing cracks me up

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
just watched it... his turns looked best on the lightbladder, dare I say, probably b/c of the fin placement. also, the Indiana Jones hat he's wearing cracks me up
he did look good on it. he also got it in the best waves I think.

the sharpeye looked small under his feet but he got a few spicy turns on it.

the hayden in the first episode looked pretty good to me. my buddy has one and it works well for him.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Is this the tread with the arguments over rearward fin placements reading a tape measure,etc? Or are all of them like that. Haha.

Anyway while trying out Daniel Jones fish saw one of the regulars on the inside, Dane. He’s a backyard builder, rides logs and tiny alt shapes. He had a new self shaped fish he was riding that he was struggling on before. But he was going good on it yesterday. I told looks like you unlocked the code and he shook his head. Told me he went home after the first surf and sawed the fins off and moved them forward added cant and toed them out.

I asked Dane if the boar has concave. And he said yeah flipped it over to show me the bottom contour and his new fin placement.

Trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about I threw out one of the Griffinisms I’ve read over and over on here. If you put concave in gotta move the fins a little forward. Dane just smiled. Haha.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Tape measure photos show the truth that 5150 (Picon, Graves Twuad) has different fin placement then standard stretch quad placement :drowning:
Or you could get Sasha Jane Lowerson to ride and review your fun boards then we could find the truth about yer nutless shapes:shrug:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Wow! The waves in Kale's video are a distraction for me. Australia get such amazing waves. His little barrels on the Lightbender looked so good! The Lennox session looked amazing too.

I like how Kale articulates his thoughts too. He's very in depth about specific/small details and seems to be able to pinpoint what a board is doing in the water.

Reactions: MathDebater