Brad Gerlach Wave Ki

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Go back and check out his bottom turn to get the power for that backside hit. I haven't seen it, but bet it's akin to this:

View attachment 158219
yeah (y) same backhand technique as the Keanu Asing video posted by Teeroi. Taking the reach behind a step further and putting the hand into the water - this is the cue @teeroi gave me when he saw a vid of my appalling technique, before I had my lessons. It encourages torso and shoulder rotation into the wave which allows winding up some rotational mass before rotating vigorously the other way. I ended up using my teachers "waitress tray carry" cue instead, but the idea to get that torso and shoulder rotation in the setup for the backhand off the lip is the same. The problem with NP Jr photo sequence from an analysis point of view is it is missing out the bottom turn setup part.

Here is me taken a few weeks after completing my lessons, an entirely unremarkable few seconds of ride. On my 5' 4" tuflite New Flyer in the Gulf of Thailand. 5 second interval windswell, vid was when my wife randomly took snap with her phone. There is only so much that can be achieved! Nevertheless I'm happy with it because at least I am remembering the "waitress reach behind me with a tray" cue before trying to pull it off the lip.

Last edited:

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
You nerds with your technique, don't you know expensive boards will make you surf better ?

This is actually confusing af. The only time I think about bringing my rear hand to the opposite shoulder is during a top turn, not a bottom turn. Seems like that would drive me further down the wave, not up the face.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and oeste858

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
You nerds with your technique, don't you know expensive boards will make you surf better ?

This is actually confusing af. The only time I think about bringing my rear hand to the opposite shoulder is during a top turn, not a bottom turn. Seems like that would drive me further down the wave, not up the face.
swing it behind you to go up the face, swing it in front of you to top turn. Spine is the fulcrum.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
swing it behind you to go up the face, swing it in front of you to top turn. Spine is the fulcrum.
Aren’t these really just tricks for opening up your shoulders to be aimed where you want to go?

using your arms allows you to premeditate the movements, shift momentum, and gain additional torque to compensate where your core is lacking.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Yep, it's the difference between driving through a turn and doing a short flick. Think of a layback, where you do the opposite (arm/torso falls back during turn).

ReForest

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2020
I'm an adult learner. I started surfing in 2014 (when i was 31). Next year will be 10 years surfing. Although, it actually feels more like 8 years surfing because the first 2 years was basically learning how to paddle, catch waves, and read the waves. That was a solid 2 years of going three or four times a month. I was so out of shape I remember not being able to paddle out and get past the white water. Then once I was out it was difficult to catch a wave. I remember times when i would drive out from Murrieta to Oside and not catch a single wave, and then have to drive all the way home. lol. Kookin it for sure.

Its been a long journey. Watching video of myself has helped tremendously, but taking a few coaching lessons from a pro surfer I feel has helped the most. My recent surf trip to El Salvador helped a lot as well.

I truly feel that if you "WANT" to improve, you will. My next goal is to land a backside air 360 before I'm 41. lol. I got one more year to do it. :LOL: :shaka:

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Aren’t these really just tricks for opening up your shoulders to be aimed where you want to go?

using your arms allows you to premeditate the movements, shift momentum, and gain additional torque to compensate where your core is lacking.
Bingo, it's all in the hips and hips follow your shoulders. The freaks that can rotate their hips regardless of shoulder position (see one JJF) are the best among us.

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
my eyes are looking at these keels in Gerr's OG post. link to who he tagged in the post no es working. anyone have any deets?
View attachment 159637
Finally, someone sees the light! Those fins are gorgeous. Here's the guy's info. Only bummer is that, as far as I know, he's FCS only.

• Love
Reactions: sushipop