Boston, MA - Nahant Beach (wetsuit suggestions)

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
those waves don't really look worth it.
110000%, looks like time that would be better spent in a museum (and I haven't been in a museum in 20+ years, just figured Boston probably has some). That or better idea hit Notch, Trillium and other breweries in the area (and send me cans?)

Reactions: ReForest
Dec 18, 2014
At it's best, Nahant is a mush ball that doesn't warrant packing board shorts for, never mind two wetsuits. Sir is correct.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Not to derail this nice thread, but as a bitchbreak expert I will say this place is perma-trash. The bay makes the waves bend outwards and not even a nice tidal swing can sort it out.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Just wanted to say that I have a huge respect for east coast surfers now, and I have a new understanding for the definition of "small" waves.

The east coast is crazy cold, the wind is gnarly, and the waves are teeney tiny! There were wind surfers out off Nahant causeway in some crazy cold and windy ass conditions this past week. The big tide swings was another factor. There was a short 30 min window to maaaaybe ride some rideable waves and then it was gone. I'll never complain about small SD conditions ever again.

It would be sick to score some good waves off the east coast though. Looks like it could get good in Boston with the right swell. Does anyone know if they get sharks there in the winter? Our Uber driver said they get bullsharks in the summer, but i dont know how accurate that is?

Reactions: slipped_disc

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Just wanted to say that I have a huge respect for east coast surfers now, and I have a new understanding for the definition of "small" waves.

The east coast is crazy cold, the wind is gnarly, and the waves are teeney tiny! There were wind surfers out off Nahant causeway in some crazy cold and windy ass conditions this past week. The big tide swings was another factor. There was a short 30 min window to maaaaybe ride some rideable waves and then it was gone. I'll never complain about small SD conditions ever again.

It would be sick to score some good waves off the east coast though. Looks like it could get good in Boston with the right swell. Does anyone know if they get sharks there in the winter? Our Uber driver said they get bullsharks in the summer, but i dont know how accurate that is?
Great whites are the problem, I think you are safe in the winter due to migration patterns and water temp. Bull sharks are coming further and further north but I tend to doubt that far north. Anything is possible though

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019

Where did you surf. Winthrop which is essentially at Logan Airport gets waves and can get kinda fun on a Nor'Easter. Never epic though. Sharks aren't really a concern at except for the Cape, which is loaded with them but prolly not in winter like Mundus said. Plenty of grade-a beacbreak there on the right day too.

Reactions: mundus

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Up there, the water is wayyyyy too cold. Not much around (any type of fish) once it dips into the 40s let alone the 30s.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Up there, the water is wayyyyy too cold. Not much around (any type of fish) once it dips into the 40s let alone the 30s.
Used to be whiting(NJ) and cod(NE) but the unregulated industrial fishing took care of that.

Reactions: ReForest