Boston, MA - Nahant Beach (wetsuit suggestions)

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I am going on a trip with family and looking for some advice on what type of suit to bring? Would a 5/4 be good with 3mm booties and gloves? Or should I bring a 6/5 with 5mm booties and gloves?

Water temp says 40's. I'm going in April so it might warm up a little, but I'm guessing not.

Wetsuits I have are nothing fancy - probably a Quik or Billabong.

Any suggestions from the cold weather guys would be much appreciated. :shaka:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I am going on a trip with family and looking for some advice on what type of suit to bring? Would a 5/4 be good with 3mm booties and gloves? Or should I bring a 6/5 with 5mm booties and gloves?

Water temp says 40's. I'm going in April so it might warm up a little, but I'm guessing not.

Wetsuits I have are nothing fancy - probably a Quik or Billabong.

Any suggestions from the cold weather guys would be much appreciated. :shaka:
Bring both suits so you always have a dry one,, 7mil booties 5 mil gloves/lobster claws

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
You'll also want to plan to dry your suit indoors somehow. Depending on where you're staying you may want to pack a clothing hanger or two.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The comments on this video are hilarious. I guess there is some white guy in a blue pickup truck in Nahant that drives around and harasses people.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The comments on this video are hilarious. I guess there is some white guy in a blue pickup truck in Nahant that drives around and harasses people.

1677833392236.png ....You know you are in for some gold when they start out like that :love:

As a white Slim Jim I didn't even know they made black wetsuits. Black as in sized to fit a 5'3" walrus.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Color me shocked someone in SoCal has Boston in April rubber
That has to be one of the worst swell windows on the whole East Coast

April feels kind of early for people from SoCal to visit Boston and hilariously optimistic that there will be waves in the Gulf of Maine.

Reforest I am guessing places like this and The Wall are okay, but if you're not at some dogshit longboarder/SUP beginner spot, I would expect the reception to be frostier than the water, and fucking nuclear if a camera comes out.

• Haha
Reactions: Northern_Shores

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
This stretch of EC makes Jersey look consistent.
????

I have nothing but respect for New Jersey's winter surfers.

But what are you complaining about other than the cold?

Consistency-wise, the only places more consistent on the US East Coast are the Outer Banks, Cape Cod, a couple hundred yards on either side of Smyrna/Ponce jetties, and some islands we'll let lie.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
????

I have nothing but respect for New Jersey's winter surfers.

But what are you complaining about other than the cold?

Consistency-wise, the only places more consistent on the US East Coast are the Outer Banks, Cape Cod, a couple hundred yards on either side of Smyrna/Ponce jetties, and some islands we'll let lie.
Well it is a comment about EC as a whole. I have religously kept track of EC consistency and besides this winter which has been unusually consistent, much of FL has us beat. Sure we get the headline frisky barrell days but for rideable waves on a given day Fl. wins IMHO