Bonzer eggs?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Did you at least scream at the kook in waist deep water and insist they buy you a new board for the infraction?

I hope you have some cholo-shot footy to share.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Did you at least scream at the kook in waist deep water and insist they buy you a new board for the infraction?

I hope you have some cholo-shot footy to share.
Gave my board a once over and didn't notice. I am trying to be calmer and didn't want to make a scene.
Had I known it would have been ugly and I would have felt embarrassed after :roflmao:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
My brother-in-law was in a similar situation, but it was the ditcher's board that got trashed from his fin gouging it. She was clueless and blaming him. During the full meltdown from her, a rogue bee flew on her face and stung her on the forehead. It was wild! Talk about karma.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Gave my board a once over and didn't notice. I am trying to be calmer and didn't want to make a scene.
Had I known it would have been ugly and I would have felt embarrassed after :roflmao:
Same thing has happened to me with three bonzers - once on a bumblebee straight over the top of some idiot Irishman who had no place surfing at the spot, nor the type of waves on offer. Fin smashed up like yours, had it fixed - board was fine, Paddy needed stitches in his back. The other two times was straight into my own leg, once with stitches and the other just a nasty cork. Boards were fixed both times with no issues. Get her fixed, she'll be right.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
805 guys any ding repair recommendations?
Wooly Bear.
Roberts is doing some ding repair.

Woollybear Ding Repair Ventura California

I had almost the same thing happen to me with a new board once. I was going by some guy that ditched a longboard. I thought I was going to get away with it, but no. Fin was still in position, but cracked around the base. I was pissed. Took the board home and was going to do it myself. Just grind the cracks/damage away and put down a few strands of glass rope with some cloth over the top of it. Because it was still attached I figured I wouldn't have to mess with angle/cant if I did it right. My wife came out and told me she had called Guy and he would do it. I said something about it costing money. Wife told me I was going to be pissed the entire time I worked on it and the beer/weed budget to sedate myself would exceed anything Guy would charge. Wise woman.

Nobody patches their own dings anymore so prepare for a waiting period. And ding repair isn't cheap. Actually ding repair pays better than making surfboards. By a LONG way.

The board I damaged turned out to be a favorite for the next two years by the way. It was a green airbrush and by the time Guy was done with it, you couldn't tell it was ever damaged. It will be fine.

Last edited:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
The board I damaged turned out to be a favorite for the next two years by the way. It will be fine.
Thanks @Sharky this makes me happy to hear

I was told by the GF under no circumstances am I allowed to turn our condo into a repair shop.
she knows me well.

Don't mind paying the cash to have it done well

Reactions: Maz

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Im gonna have to disagree with everyone on here. Every Bonzer I have has at least one cracked runner. Repair it and it will never be the same. Probably list to one side. Cavitate, and all other kinds of nastyness. Better to just sell it to me and start over again. Yes that is the correct thing to do. Patiently waiting for your decision.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and Sauce

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Wooly Bear.
Roberts is doing some ding repair.

Woollybear Ding Repair Ventura California

I had almost the same thing happen to me with a new board once. I was going by some guy that ditched a longboard. I thought I was going to get away with it, but no. Fin was still in position, but cracked around the base. I was pissed. Took the board home and was going to do it myself. Just grind the cracks/damage away and put down a few strands of glass rope with some cloth over the top of it. Because it was still attached I figured I wouldn't have to mess with angle/cant if I did it right. My wife came out and told me she had called Guy and he would do it. I said something about it costing money. Wife told me I was going to be pissed the entire time I worked on it and the beer/weed budget to sedate myself would exceed anything Guy would charge. Wise woman.

Nobody patches their own dings anymore so prepare for a waiting period. And ding repair isn't cheap. Actually ding repair pays better than making surfboards. By a LONG way.

The board I damaged turned out to be a favorite for the next two years by the way. It was a green airbrush and by the time Guy was done with it, you couldn't tell it was ever damaged. It will be fine.
Wooly bear rocks

one day turnaround!! Fun dude to talk too as well. Thanks sharky

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Looks great and feels bulletproof. Will give a ride report later.

took it in yesterday afternoon, called today to tell me it was done. I also took in an old modfish I ran onto some reef. He did great job fixing and color matched for free. needless to say I gave a nice tip.

Always appreciate good work. When its also done fast , that's some good stuff!

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
I've had a lot of bonzers over the years, of which I think the eggs totalled about 6 of them in different variations and sizes. Great and super versatile boards.
My current egg fav is worth a visit by @Sharky.
This was a random swap meet find. 7'6 e-wing but it feels different from all the other bonzer eggs I've surfed. It seems to have more rocker (to my eye and feel). It isn't great on the low range but KICKS ASS in head high and up. I've had this in solid DOH hawaii waves and it feels unreal. I reach for it a lot when the waves are good and i have some paddling to do but i don't quite need a gun kind of thing.
I do my own ding repair but liked this beat up find so much that I paid a super OCD ding guy I know a couple of hundred bucks to get it as solid as possible.
Interesting note is it says, "FOR SHRIMPO ", one of the bonzer inner circle from way back.
I read the great story on shrimpo by @Sharky on the cbros site. Classic.
I may have spoken with malcolm about this particular board too, but I can't remember.
Anyway... @Sharky u need to somehow scan this thing. It feels different from other malcolm eggs ive had.. the rocker is money!! unreal board in good waves.Screenshot_20240322_095135_Gallery.jpg20220522_151559.jpg20230512_090925.jpg

Last edited:

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
I've had a lot of bonzers over the years, of which I think the eggs totalled about 6 of them in different variations and sizes. Great and super versatile boards.
My current egg fav is worth a visit by @Sharky.
This was a random swap meet find. 7'6 e-wing but it feels different from all the other bonzer eggs I've surfed. It seems to have more rocker (to my eye and feel). It isn't great on the low range but KICKS ASS in head high and up. I've had this in solid DOH hawaii waves and it feels unreal.
I do my own ding repair but liked this beat up find so much that I paid a super OCD ding guy I know a couple of hundred bucks to get it as solid as possible.
Interesting note is it says, "FOR SHRIMPO ", one of the bonzer inner circle from way back.
I read the great story on shrimpo by @Sharky on the cbros site. Classic.
I may have spoken with malcolm about this particular board too, but I can't remember.
Anyway... @Sharky u need to somehow scan this thing. It feels different from other malcolm eggs ive had.. unreal board in good waves.View attachment 175886View attachment 175887View attachment 175888
Ive bought a couple Bonzers off of Shrimpo way back when. He was a classic guy. This one looks a lot like my beat up 7'2 speed egg I posted earlier in this thread. Sure does look like a lot of rocker on this one too!! I found the same thing to be true about mine, not much of a groveler but man does it come alive when the waves pick up!

• Love
Reactions: money4coffeeman