Bolton book: Trumby directly tied Ukraine aid to investigations into political rivals.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Can you show when they actually played it, and not "mouthed" air guitar it?

I see lots of videos of their "acapella" version, whatever that is, but not a guitar in site.

I take it as some kind of weak-ass slap at Lynyrd Skynyrd/70's/boomers, I guess? Whatever.:rolleyes:

That's talent. Bravo.(y)
Phish are just slightly more skilled musicians than Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
what instrument do you play?
does it matter? None.

I used to strum Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water chord and a couple other easy ones on friend guitars, but that's it. Always wanted to be a drummer, but never had the funds to get a decent set as a kid. No way were parents gonna let that happen in our house. Another reason I moved out at 19 and never looked back. Mom's dinners did get me back for visits though.:D

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
no, I'm saying that you're an uninformed carp who is discounting
a widely respected band simply because you don't like their genre
while lacking expertise, or even a passing grasp, of music

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
no, I'm saying that you're an uninformed carp who is discounting
a widely respected band simply because you don't like their genre
while lacking expertise, or even a passing grasp, of music
Yeah? Tony Orlando and Dawn level widely respected?

Also, AGE DISCRIMINATION.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I get it. Phish is the LS of the 90's/2000's, if not better for this gen.

Power to them for making great coin off their fans for making fun of another band.

Classy.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I really don’t like Phish but I also think they’re a collection of some of the most talented musicians ever and they really can write the fvck out of a a song.

I’m a drummer, btw.
I've started listening to more of that Jam Band genre and the guys in those bands are the most talented musicians outside of jazz musicians.

Phish will cover whole ALBUMS from other artists in the middle of their sets. Every show is different and it's not a bunch of drugged out noodling like the Dead.

This isn't Phish but it's one of their ilk and this Mashup album shows what these musicians are capable of

Reactions: Kento

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I've started listening to more of that Jam Band genre and the guys in those bands are the most talented musicians outside of jazz musicians.

Phish will cover whole ALBUMS from other artists in the middle of their sets. Every show is different and it's not a bunch of drugged out noodling like the Dead.

This isn't Phish but it's one of their ilk and this Mashup album shows what these musicians are capable of

I love the full album cover thing...Weezer does it too, don't they?

the Grateful Dead's country/folk songs are quintessential Americana

Workingman's Dead is definitely a desert island pick for me

Reactions: Ifallalot

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Some of my friends had a Phish, I want to say bootleg but maybe it was an actually sanctioned live CD, where they segueued from a song, into the entirety of Dark Side of the Moon, back into the song. Trey couldn't do the woman's vocals number justice but his bad imp in observance of this wasn't actually as ruinous as I thought it would be.

afoaf is Casey Jones and/or Uncle John's Band GD country/folk?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
those two songs are kind of hippy folk....

cumberland blues is a great folk tune

I guess it kind of depends on how you want to classify those genres

check out History of the Grateful Dead vol 1 (Bear's Choice)

Wake up Little Suzy
Smokestack Lightning
Been all Around this World
Dark Hollow

these are either traditional standards or borrowed from folks like
Howlin' Wolf and Otis Redding...(R&B/soul)

Last edited:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Never was a big Dead fan.

I had some surf buddy transplants from the east coast that were big time dead heads in the 70's. I respected the talent, but never got the whole ramble on jam aspect they were famous for. You needed to be really high I guess, to dig it, and I smoked plenty of good pot trying to. So hippy, it kind of made me puke when it lasted into the late 70's, when rock took a big 180 swing punk/new wave. Everyone cut their hair in the late 70's/early 80's. Glam/Stadium rock still prevailed, but that was inlander/Camaro/Firebird music. Most of us were into the southern rock bands of the 70's, along with the Clapton types and such. Instrumental talent had to be dedicated and polished, while vocals were just enough to get by. Then the very late 70's/80's came and everything changed in rock music.

Phish is just a 90's/2000's version of those "folksy" rock bands that fill a void for that need that was lost in the 80's and then early 90's grundge.

Sorry I offended fans here.

Last edited: