Board test for the every day surfer

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Me too. My eyes hurt!!!!

As little flow as humanly possible, obvious forced ollie motion...

Some people do airs and they look smooth. Others look like everything people criticize about Joe Crimo, but the chop hop is done in the lip instead of the flat, so now we have to fall all over ourselves flattering it.

I counted six (Sunday Brunch session at Mayport levels of ugly) pumps before each air. At a pointbreak. He looks like me trying to generate speed on a day when I decided to force a DD-style shortboard in near-grovel surf. Just rando arms and sh!t flying all over the place.

"Somewhere, a springsuit and booties are missing its surfer"

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Toledo is a beast, but yeh I get it. I prefer his surfing more as of recently. I get bored with the air show even though they are impressive. The stuff Medina/Italo and some of those guys have been landing lately in events have been pretty wild. Even so I still found Morgan Cibilic's surfing of clean consistent turns refreshing in the recent events. Never liked how airs will bail some people out after having a horrible heat with everything else. Maybe i'm old school though.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Ok, a guy makes a series of videos where he tests a bunch of surfboards in a wave pool. The discussion seem to focus on how good a surfer this guy is, and the definition of "everyday surfer". Well, can we please move to the boards themselves? Who has surfed one of the boards tested in the first episode? I'm especially interested in the Chilli BV2.
I tried the flat earth with the MR stabilizer fin a couple of times, in a beach break and point break, and didn't like it. It felt slower and lost the crazy looseness. Maybe I'm just getting too old and need the power searing.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I wanna know where I can get one of those Aussie hats he's wearing?

Can any Aussie mates on here direct me to where I could buy one of those and have it shipped to the US?

Reactions: andywaxer

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I think Kale is a little more than average, but yea it seems like it should be a fun-to-watch series. Also, I'm no firewire apologist, but he kinda fucked up even trying the flat earth as a thruster :/
Yeah... It'd be like riding one of those MR boards (with the box for the stabilizer) with a set of standard thruster fins. :ROFLMAO::shameonyou:

That's not smart.

Reactions: waxfoot

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I wanna know where I can get one of those Aussie hats he's wearing?

Can any Aussie mates on here direct me to where I could buy one of those and have it shipped to the US?
You can go directly to the source, https://akubra.com.au, they ship internationally. They're not cheap and there are others that make similar hats (like the link below), but these are the real deal.

You also have "Will & Bear" that does real wool;

Brixton is a more "Surf brand" that does similar shape hats (Fedora etc), but they're not a "hat for life".

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
You can go directly to the source, https://akubra.com.au, they ship internationally. They're not cheap and there are others that make similar hats (like the link below), but these are the real deal.

You also have "Will & Bear" that does real wool;

Brixton is a more "Surf brand" that does similar shape hats (Fedora etc), but they're not a "hat for life".
What style of Akubra you think he's wearing? The choices on that site are huge!

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
The Traveler looks cool, but i like the one he's wearing. Waxfoot has a sick one too. I like the one Mikey Wright wears.
haha, thanks, I got a cheap wool one for now (made in Chi-na). It looks cool, but the Akubra just holds its shape that much better.
I can go out and buy one, but I said to myself I'll only buy one, when I've got my Australian citizenship ... not that it will be hard to get, just as artificial motivation to get me to do all the bloody paperwork again :D

What style of Akubra you think he's wearing? The choices on that site are huge!
Hmm, hard to tell - I'd have said traveller or avalon, but can't find that colour.

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Everything looks good on me.
In addition to being the best surfer in the water whenever you paddle out, You're obviously incredibly handsome & stylish and can pull anything off. But I think we can all agree that not everyone who thinks they look cool in a wide-brimmed hat, does?

Although now that I think about it... most girls look sexy as hell in 'em.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Everything looks good on me.
I think the Cattleman might be the one. Been lookin their site for hours. haha.
Gonna order one for me and wife (that way i dont get in too much trouble for ordering an expensive hat for myself).
Thanks Waxfoot.

• Love
Reactions: waxfoot

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Toledo is a beast, but yeh I get it. I prefer his surfing more as of recently. I get bored with the air show even though they are impressive. The stuff Medina/Italo and some of those guys have been landing lately in events have been pretty wild. Even so I still found Morgan Cibilic's surfing of clean consistent turns refreshing in the recent events. Never liked how airs will bail some people out after having a horrible heat with everything else. Maybe i'm old school though.
I like Italo's surfing - I guess because I don't watch contests anymore? I'd like the air show more if there were more straight airs with grabs vs everything is a rotation.

I watched the bit about the Pyzel and the Mayhem today. I would not pick my first gen Sub Driver for that steep/tight pockety frontside and I would throw upright fins in if it's what I had for surf like that.

Reactions: trifish