Board Suggestion

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I havea 6'5" ghost stock dims and its great at overhead points but a little thick for the reef/beachie stuff. Want to take it down just 1 liter. I am a lot heavier than you though. Your 6'5" at 35-36L would probably be awesome for your size although you may want to take just 1 inch off length.

Reactions: trevorbc

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Funny note. I find the Ghost standard dims at longer lengths to be kinda bloated and the pro dims to be slightly anemic so I started creating a spread of dims right in the middle of the two.

For example:

Standard Ghost: 6'5 20 3/8 3 39.4

Ghost Pro: 6'5 19 5/8 2 5/8 33.1

Ghost T: 6'5 20 2 13/16 36.25

My dims still seem to be a bit big but probably a good starting point. I wonder if Pyzel would do a round tail instead of the round pin. For the waves I surf the pin is a little over kill. I would also maybe keep the L, W, and T but take down the litreage slightly to thin out the rails.

Custom Ghost 6'5 20 2 13/16 35l Round Tail

Didn't mean to turn this into a ghost thread but that board fell into my hands. For those of you who are going to say I'm overthinking it, I say the over thinking is the fun part.
One suggestion I will add since i've put more miles on my ghost than any other board over the past couple of years....Try some smaller fins. Smaller than you think or would typically go with. This really decreased the stiffness on mine and made it more playful to lay into turns. Even with the pin or the extra length on mine, I can still surf it like a hpsb as long as I'm running smaller fins.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Interesting.

What fins are you running?

I got some medium JJFs for mine but haven't had a chance to try them out. I was actually worried that they looked a little small but I've used smaller upright fins like K2.1 (WCTs) to loosen up my Hypto so that makes sense.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Interesting.

I got some medium JJFs for mine but haven't had a chance to try them out. I was actually worried that they looked a little small but I've used smaller upright fins like K2.1 (WCTs) to loosen up my Hypto so that makes sense.
By far the best setup for my Ghost has been AM large. No contest.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
One suggestion I will add since i've put more miles on my ghost than any other board over the past couple of years....Try some smaller fins. Smaller than you think or would typically go with. This really decreased the stiffness on mine and made it more playful to lay into turns. Even with the pin or the extra length on mine, I can still surf it like a hpsb as long as I'm running smaller fins.
I was using AM2 Merrick Larges which are my go to. I’ll try some smaller fins next session.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Interesting.

i'm 180lbs and most my boards are futures. I started off with Pyzel L fins and the board was super stiff like a straight arrow shooting down the line. I went digging through my fin boxes for the smallest I had to test out and found some old small am1's. Something I would never use in overhead to double overhead beach break or anywhere really but wanted to try something on the other extreme end. Stuck those in and board felt instantly much better turning on the face and gave me no issues. So than I went through my different sets experimenting and ended up landing on a set of Solus fins that felt perfect for me and been on those ever since. I dont think this board needs much fin like the am1's showed. Everybody is different but worth playing around with since it drastically changed the feel of the board for me.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Use am larges as go to fins. But like the M accelerators in my ghost the best

Reactions: trifish

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
AM2's felt too big in my ghosts. I went smaller for a while, Dane Med, JJF Med,TP1's all felt good but sometimes lacking drive. DHD Large feel the bestest.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Interesting about the Solus fins. Wouldn't have thought of an inside foil fin for a board for bigger surf.

Going to start with the JJF Mediums and see how they work. Never really liked the Merrick template in anything. Usually like a wider, more upright fin like the K2.1 (WCT) in everything except Losts where the Mayhem fins seem to work best.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Funny note. I find the Ghost standard dims at longer lengths to be kinda bloated and the pro dims to be slightly anemic so I started creating a spread of dims right in the middle of the two.

For example:

Standard Ghost: 6'5 20 3/8 3 39.4

Ghost Pro: 6'5 19 5/8 2 5/8 33.1

Ghost T: 6'5 20 2 13/16 36.25

My dims still seem to be a bit big but probably a good starting point. I wonder if Pyzel would do a round tail instead of the round pin. For the waves I surf the pin is a little over kill. I would also maybe keep the L, W, and T but take down the litreage slightly to thin out the rails.

Custom Ghost 6'5 20 2 13/16 35l Round Tail

Didn't mean to turn this into a ghost thread but that board fell into my hands. For those of you who are going to say I'm overthinking it, I say the over thinking is the fun part.
Hi . We can do whatever custom tail you want. I personally ride a Ghost with a little wider tail and like that a lot

Reactions: trevorbc and Havoc

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I've only used mine (same dims) in kinda crappy head high waves but I pretty much concur with your impressions. I'm withholding judgement till I get a chance to use it in the waves I intended it for- solid overhead, offshore and barreling. The day I rode mine would have been better fit for my Hypto.

For me at 5'10 x 160 and coming from mostly riding a 5'6, it works as a step up. I was thinking of a 6'1 or 6'2 Pro but ultimately went with the regular.

But I like the exercise you are engaging in. The guy at the shop where I bought mine told me that the Pro is really intended for clean tropical reefs so I think your instincts on it being a little thin is right on.

If you're lucky Pyzel will chime in and set you straight. I would hold on to the 6'0 and ride it in some winter surf and maybe put in an order for a custom. You can probably flip the 6'0 on Craigslist and not take too much of a bath.
Hi guys-- when we come up with stock dims we are trying to serve as many surfers as possible, but obviously we can't make them work for everyone. I am 5'9'' and 165lbs, so the only stock Ghost I would like are the smaller ones (5'8'', 5'9'') and the Ghost Pro is more suited to my size.
Customs are the way to go for anyone that falls way too far on one side or the other

Reactions: trevorbc and Havoc

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes!! Narrow tailed boards meant to be ridden in good surf can often benefit from the use of smaller fins. Basic rule of fins--- bigger, faster waves = smaller fins. Big fins help add drive and lift in smaller, weaker waves

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Probably figuring tax in there... Pyzel - Thank you very much for posting here!

My experience with fins is similar - go smaller for ghost (I use Med Accelerators), larger for phantom/smaller wave boards (Large AMs). More than enough hold on the ghost with the smaller fins.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That sounds high! Base price is $695 for tri-fin. Where you shipping to? $230 for shipping would be really odd.
I think he's an east coaster. Extra $30 for 6'4"+ and $175 for shipping comes out to $900 flat. Not sure where the other $30 comes from.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
If one were to want a ghost with less volume than stock dims do you typically take a little off both width and thickness to get it?