Board Suggestion

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
Does anyone have any specific model recommendations for very windy offshore, jacking, elevator, beach break barrels? It would be a bonus if the model also turned well.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
6oz glass, a little bit of nose flip to help with pearling but low-ish entry, tail flip to deal with the curve, some volume under the chest esp thickness, a little more width middle/forward, no extra length, just up volume a little. Domed deck to keep thinner rails. 5 finboxes.

Reactions: Bman76 and trevorbc

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
6oz glass, a little bit of nose flip to help with pearling but low-ish entry, tail flip to deal with the curve, some volume under the chest esp thickness, a little more width middle/forward, no extra length, just up volume a little. Domed deck to keep thinner rails. 5 finboxes.
I agree with all of that but with no local shaper any model suggestions that would tick those boxes?

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
I agree with all of that but with no local shaper any model suggestions that would tick those boxes?
Here it was exactly like you described a week or so ago.

In the past I had good success with a Speed Demon II in these types of conditions. Wish I still had that board.

Reactions: trevorbc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I dunno about the Wizard Sleeve and I think there was some other CI for pits?
I think there are a couple Rustys that are something like this?
There almost has to be a Pyzel like this
Ditto DHD and JS etc.
Wasn't there a tube driver or some such Mayhem? Maybe the V3 Rocket or V3 Round-it???

I find myself having very hit or miss luck with "models" to do something this specific.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
Thanks all. Looking at the Slayer, Slayer 2, and Ghost. Trying to glean what I can from the stock dims. Plenty of great reviews for the Ghost, anyone ridden a Slayer or Slayer 2? I wonder which has the most foiled rails.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
If you really want a board strictly for barrels, Super Pigdog/Pigdog Pro.

If there's turn sections or you wanna use it in other conditions, Ghost.

Pigdog has a little wider nose and packs more foam up front to get in earlier and it has more built in drive. Probably the best board I've ridden for backdooring peaks and coming from behind. On the open face it's a bit stiff I think due to low tail rocker and less outline curve in the back half of the outline. Still I've managed some fun carves and it will break free on a crumbly lip with some good timing.

Ghost is overall more versatile and is no slouch in the barrel. I doesn't get into waves quite as well as P-Dog but it's definitely better than your average hpsb and it's really good for late drops. The narrower tail and thin rails have a lot of bite so it really grabs and holds as you reconnect with the face after an air drop. It also holds through carves just about as good as any board I've ever ridden. Overall if you're looking for more of an all around good wave/semi step up board the Ghost is a no brainer. Don't be afraid to add a little more thickness than you think because they are super foiled.

I haven't ridden the Rusty Slayer or Slayer 2 but I think that would be another one to look at. They have $100 off Epoly builds right now and they run a tight ship over there. 6x4+6oz. Epoly Slayer would be the goods I think.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
If you really want a board strictly for barrels, Super Pigdog/Pigdog Pro.

If there's turn sections or you wanna use it in other conditions, Ghost.

Pigdog has a little wider nose and packs more foam up front to get in earlier and it has more built in drive. Probably the best board I've ridden for backdooring peaks and coming from behind. On the open face it's a bit stiff I think due to low tail rocker and less outline curve in the back half of the outline. Still I've managed some fun carves and it will break free on a crumbly lip with some good timing.

Ghost is overall more versatile and is no slouch in the barrel. I doesn't get into waves quite as well as P-Dog but it's definitely better than your average hpsb and it's really good for late drops. The narrower tail and thin rails have a lot of bite so it really grabs and holds as you reconnect with the face after an air drop. It also holds through carves just about as good as any board I've ever ridden. Overall if you're looking for more of an all around good wave/semi step up board the Ghost is a no brainer. Don't be afraid to add a little more thickness than you think because they are super foiled.

I haven't ridden the Rusty Slayer or Slayer 2 but I think that would be another one to look at. They have $100 off Epoly builds right now and they run a tight ship over there. 6x4+6oz. Epoly Slayer would be the goods I think.
Thanks man, very helpful. It is basically a wedge left that you have to backdoor then it is open face. Sounds like a pig dog pro would be perfect for the first part of the wave and a ghost for the second. Ha
What would you think for dims? I’m 6’0 170 these days. We are in 3/2s for 1/4 of the year, 4/3s for a 1/4 and 5-6 mils with booties and gloves for 1/2. On boards between 28-32 cl. Definitely liking the 28cl when up but more when paddling/catching waves.

Reactions: Aruka

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I haven't ridden either, but when checking them out in a shop the rails on the Slayer 2 is definitely more foiled than the original Slayer. Looks like the wide point is pulled back towards the middle too, which I'd imagine helps with turns on the open face. I think the Pigdog Pro in relation to the original Pigdog is the same idea, wide point slightly further back and more foiled.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I just sold my PigDog and bought a Ghost. Just had first surf on Ghost in sub optimal conditions but I will echo what was said above- PigDog probably catches waves a bit easier but doesn't really want to turn. The Ghost turns like a standard shortboard.

I would hesitate on the PigDog pro because it has an even more pulled in tail but it allows you to go longer, thinner, and narrower. I'd imagine that would make it even stiffer unless they played with the rocker as well.

PigDog definitely feels more like an alternative shape where the Ghost is a standard shortboard with some extra meat under your chest and a pulled in tail but not too gunny. Also Pyzel seems to really know what he is doing with regard to rocker.

I've fondled the Slayer before and every time I look at one I feel like something is not quite right. Another board you might want to look into is a Lost Round Up.

Reactions: trifish

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
I just sold my PigDog and bought a Ghost. Just had first surf on Ghost in sub optimal conditions but I will echo what was said above- PigDog probably catches waves a bit easier but doesn't really want to turn. The Ghost turns like a standard shortboard.

I would hesitate on the PigDog pro because it has an even more pulled in tail but it allows you to go longer, thinner, and narrower. I'd imagine that would make it even stiffer unless they played with the rocker as well.

PigDog definitely feels more like an alternative shape where the Ghost is a standard shortboard with some extra meat under your chest and a pulled in tail but not too gunny. Also Pyzel seems to really know what he is doing with regard to rocker.

I've fondled the Slayer before and every time I look at one I feel like something is not quite right. Another board you might want to look into is a Lost Round Up.
Leaning more toward the ghost as I do want to be able to turn the thing. I'm definitely not into the hybrid step thing though. Had a Lost Rock Up that while it paddled and caught waves great, it felt like turning a submarine. The ghost has nice foiled rails?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have a Slayer 2 and did a review here:

Unless the waves are overhead though, forget the Slayer 2. It needs waves.

To tell you the truth though, there is no substitute for skill and experience in those conditions you describe.

You don't need a special board.

You need to be able to figure out your rocker, your timing, your paddling, and where to sit.
The approach and capability of the board is going to be different depending on your rocker.
Boards geared toward higher entry you're going to have to position yourself way forward than you ever probably do.
Boards geared toward lower entry you're going to need to position yourself so the nose rocker cooperates.

Cape Town surfers have these techniques dialed probably more than any other surfers on the planet.