Big Wave Quad fins

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Has anyone tried any of the big wave quads from Futures? There is the Pyzel Padillac set which look more conventional with the larger fins up front, smaller fins in rear and then there are the Billy Kemper and JJF sets which are tiny and have the unusual looking, super upright front fin tempates. The Kemper template still has slightly bigger fronts than rears but the JJF has the larger fins in the rear. Both the Kemper and JJF show 4.0 and 2.0 degrees of cant which seems pretty upright as well. All 3 sets have 80/20 fronts, 50/50 rears which is a combo I've never tried.

I've been running fiberglass EA's in my Padillac for a long time but last winter I went with a smaller, more upright set and I really liked the way they felt. The board was looser but also easier to control somehow. Like there wasn't as much resistance when making small adjustments at high speeds so it didn't feel like I was just along for the ride. I thought the smaller fins might not have enough hold and I was actually pretty nervous to try them on a solid day but they felt just fine. I think the board has so much inherent hold and speed that maybe it just doesn't need much fin area. Just thinking out loud. I'm not a big wave hell man but I do like to push it a little each winter.

@Pyzelsurfboards if you care to share some insight about any of these fins that would be really cool.
1693716701766.png
1693716772795.png
1693716802873.png

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Yep, rears larger, and all are tiny.

The whole board/fin setup is a conundrum: hard edge all the way up, but still buttery smooth. Tiny, upright fins, yet ultra drivey.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Im sure those channels dont hurt the drive. The paddy doesnt have channels but it feels like there is so much hold and drive off the rail that i think you just need enough fin to keep from slipping which apparently isnt much.

Reactions: Retropete and Maz

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I used these in an 8’6 Padillac….

Front….

Rear….

Reactions: JDJ

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Have used a set of stretch gun fins (super old with the OG "S" logo) for years in boards 8'0"+ and they work insane. boards relatively nimble for the size, no issues with drive/hold

4 equal size small fins, 50/50 rear foil with probably 80/20 front foil. closest in template to the pyzel fins but with a bit more stretch beak

intrigued by the even more upright fins a la Maz or the JJF gun fins but also not trying to fix what ain't broken in bigger waves

will try and take a pic later

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
I have a set of the Padillac fins and like them in my 7'10 Padillac, more so the the EA's I used in it previously (and in most of my other big wave boards). The padi fins were just a touch looser and smoother. Maybe psychological, as these were the "fins designed for the board" but I'll keep the padi fins in the 7'10 Padillac.
For my 7'4 Padillac (picked up used in great condition) I go back and forth between the EAs and Padillac fins, haven't decided which ones I like better.
For my 6'10 mini padillac l, I like the EAs better.. felt faster and more in control, but I am surfing way smaller waves with the mini padi than the padis.

I would also love to hear what @Pyzelsurfboards can say about the above big wave fin alternatives and also what fins he recommends for the smaller (7'4 and below) Padillacs and mini-Padillacs.
Thanks

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have a set of the Padillac fins and like them in my 7'10 Padillac, more so the the EA's I used in it previously (and in most of my other big wave boards). The padi fins were just a touch looser and smoother. Maybe psychological, as these were the "fins designed for the board" but I'll keep the padi fins in the 7'10 Padillac.
For my 7'4 Padillac (picked up used in great condition) I go back and forth between the EAs and Padillac fins, haven't decided which ones I like better.
For my 6'10 mini padillac l, I like the EAs better.. felt faster and more in control, but I am surfing way smaller waves with the mini padi than the padis.

I would also love to hear what @Pyzelsurfboards can say about the above big wave fin alternatives and also what fins he recommends for the smaller (7'4 and below) Padillacs and mini-Padillacs.
Thanks
Thats pretty helpful because my padillac is a 7-10 also.

Reactions: money4coffeeman

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Was a while back but I put up some photos comparing the EAs and padi fins and some thoughts (and confusions!).

The JJF fins above are really interesting. The rears look like they're set pretty far forward (look how much futures base is behind the trailing edge), I'd guess to keep them from being too stiff. They look well thought out.
I wonder if the fin box placement stays the same for JJFs padis if he's using these fins?

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Have used a set of stretch gun fins (super old with the OG "S" logo) for years in boards 8'0"+ and they work insane. boards relatively nimble for the size, no issues with drive/hold

4 equal size small fins, 50/50 rear foil with probably 80/20 front foil. closest in template to the pyzel fins but with a bit more stretch beak

intrigued by the even more upright fins a la Maz or the JJF gun fins but also not trying to fix what ain't broken in bigger waves

will try and take a pic later
i have those fu stretch gun fins in my buzzgun. i think they are all 4.0. maybe a touch larger. they are great fins. they hold in critical sections but really open up when you want to turn.

ea's are way stiffer by comparison. ran them in a couple semi guns over the years but always wound up pulling them for the stretch template

surfride1977

OTF status
Nov 20, 2005
Interesting thread! It seems like several of the big wave quad designs are trending smaller, more upright/less rake.. I'm no big wave hellman but I do have 7'4 and 8'0 Padillacs with the Padi fins sets, never tried switching them out because they feel so good.

I believe the Padi quad rears are double foil but the EA rears are flat foil(?)

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
The Pyzel template with the 50/50 reads and 80/20 fronts and “normal” looking size and rake seem like a winner for the typical surfer that wants a big wave quad. The JJF and Kemper sets are pretty far out and I doubt anyone on this forum is even looking at maxing WB, Jaws, North Shore outer reefs. So not sure how applicable these fins are.