Best UNCROWDED lefts ?

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
so playa nanzal he. How did u end up there?
Mom in law bought property, needed extra $, we kicked in a got 5 Hectares, wound up selling. My property was the one with all the coconut trees at the shoreline. Only went twice, surf was HUGE the first time. Tried to go to the opening from the harbor at David, no bleepin way. The surf surf was breaking so far out we couldn't even see how far. We could see inside peelers though, and my friend wanted to go out, until I pointed out that we had AT LEAST a quarter mile of endless DOH whitewater to paddle through. Me and buddy (they call him Tequila) from Puerto Viejo in Costa Rica surfed the spot that is at the river mouth from the road that goes to the beach from San Lorenzo . Perfect, but slow. Nobody around, would have liked to see it at high tide. One kid gave us some tasty fresh macadamia fruit. It was so good, we bought some at the store, blech!!!

Second trip, we stayed in the "Castle" at Playa Nanzal, waves were small, but we caught waves on the way outer reef. I kick myself now, because the days we surfed were the smallest, and it still had head high action at peak low tide.

Here's the view from the deck

If you squint, you can us out in the upper right

Gotta squint harder, like I said, this was the smallest day for 10 days. One wave came in and glurged pretty hard as I taking off. Kinda spooked me, normally I love that kind of action.

Unridden

Now boys, don't get all freaked and fired up. The waves here CAN get good, but most likely you will be severely disappointed. Much better places to go, especially for the time involved. The facilities are non-existent, and nothing out here but bugs and spiders. 30 minutes each way just to get luke warm Polar Cerveza from the Chinese bodega.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Looks good. I’ve been but was very small and slopey. Looked like a longboard wave...Idk. Guess i’ll give it another try. I thought i saw a saw a croc, and i was by myself, so i got very spooked.

usually where i go. Is called barqueta. Closer to david.
Paunch,
I went to Barqueta about 10 years ago. Wanted to check out the sand spit left off of Isla Sevilla. First day, tried to walk to the end of the beach at Barqueta on the sand, and nearly burned my feet off on the black sand. Next morning, I drove our rental truck to the end of the beach. Realized that I didn't want to paddle across the rivermouth (crocs). Almost got the truck stuck trying to get back up on the road.

I left a 5'10 Pesce board with an old lady who said she'd give it to the local kids.

Also wanted to drive out to the peninsula at Limones. There was a hotel called Mono Feliz there at the time. Read somewhere there might be some left points.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Oh my god. It is a long walk!! I do remember a few years back hearing about somebody who gut stuck there and the tide almost got him!! Maybe that was you.

so you went “east.” You should have gone the other way bro. There’s an insane rivermouth that way. The one at the end of barketa, for some reason, doesnt really shape good waves. I’ve been many times and is not really worth it. Same with the one mentioned here in san lorenzo (playa Nanzal) . But i’m always intrigued because it is one of the few beaches around here with rocks and cobblestones. ‍♂‍♂
Mono feliz has waves. the thing over here is, all these spots are so far away from one another. No crowds at all though. I think bocas del toro is the more consistent and better wave option. And the most crowded too:)

Last edited:
Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Oh my god. It is a long walk!! I do remember a few years back hearing about somebody who gut stuck there and the tide almost got him!! Maybe that was you.

so you went “east.” You should have gone the other way bro. There’s an insane rivermouth that way. The one at the end of barketa, for some reason, doesnt really shape good waves. I’ve been many times and is not really worth it. Same with the one mentioned here in san lorenzo (playa Nanzal) . But i’m always intrigued because it is one of the few beaches around here with rocks and cobblestones. ‍♂‍♂
Mono feliz has waves. the thing over here is, all these spots are so far away from one another. No crowds at all though. I think bocas del toro is the more consistent and better wave option. And the most crowded too:)
No, it only took me a couple tries and I busted over the berm back onto the road.

I heard from a local kid that there's a right point the other direction, and then I saw it when we flew out of David.