Best Fullsuit?

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
We wear 1.5 long sleeve jackets so infrequently that for some reason I’m spacing. I got this jacket for a trip on the colder mornings with upwelling. There is bunching of neoprene in the arm pits. Rashy? I feel like sometimes too tight equals rashy? Any bunching automatically equals rashy? Send it back?

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Not sure how readily available they are in the US but I got an Adelio 4/3 a few seasons back on sale and I’m super impressed with it. Robust looking suits with nice wide welded/glued seams, soft neoprene and warm too. Coming into my fourth season with it (can’t remember the last time that happened) and it’s still going strong. I’ll probably grab one of their 3/2’s when my current ones fall apart.

Reactions: jkb and retodd

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
We wear 1.5 long sleeve jackets so infrequently that for some reason I’m spacing. I got this jacket for a trip on the colder mornings with upwelling. There is bunching of neoprene in the arm pits. Rashy? I feel like sometimes too tight equals rashy? Any bunching automatically equals rashy? Send it back?
No telling. I've had it go both ways with extra neoprene in the pits.

Jacket fit is pretty hard to get right in the first place.

If you do start to rash, put something with 20% zinc on it and keep it on there until it clears. Those sunscreen sticks work well. Takes away the sting and will allow you to keep surfing.

Reactions: ANIMA

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I've bought a few suits and fins online from this shop in OR and they have always treated me right - looks like they've got some wetsuits on sale right now
Is rip curl a good suit? For an extra $100 you can get an isurus zipfree and for an extra $40 you can get a Nine plus yamamoto.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Is rip curl a good suit? For an extra $100 you can get an isurus zipfree and for an extra $40 you can get a Nine plus yamamoto.
no idea, haven't tried any newer Ripcurls. I just posted it bc Havoc asked about sales. I use a Volte 4/3 and an Xcel 3/2 I got on the cheap. Interested in Isurus, but ya they're pricey. The only zipfree option for Isurus has a hood which i most certainly don't need in San Diego

Reactions: Havoc

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
no idea, haven't tried any newer Ripcurls. I just posted it bc Havoc asked about sales. I use a Volte 4/3 and an Xcel 3/2 I got on the cheap. Interested in Isurus, but ya they're pricey. The only zipfree option for Isurus has a hood which i most certainly don't need in San Diego
How is your volte treating you? Ive seen a lot more guys around NCSD wearing them. I was thinking about getting one of those suits.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
How is your volte treating you? Ive seen a lot more guys around NCSD wearing them. I was thinking about getting one of those suits.
I like it, the 4/3 premium has been perfect for SD fall/winters. The liner is pretty comfy and isn't made of any weird techno material. It's plenty flexible for me though not as flexible as my previous all 3mm Hyperfreak. Also pricing is pretty reasonable, sub-$300, and I'm pretty sure they ship out of Oceanside. On their website they have a 4/3 version with smoothskin which is more expensive and a zipperless 3/2 option too.

1583522124733.png
1583522138790.png

Last edited:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
fook that noise cuz, life is too short to wrestle with wetsuits.

while you are in the carpark wrestling a zip free I'm riding set waves.
I'm in an argumentative mood today :D timed myself getting into my dry excel chest zip, 3/2 steamer this morning. One and a half minutes, no rushing, included putting on my rash vest. I concede you are almost certainly a faster paddler than me.

Timed myself getting out of it post surf this morning. No rushing, including taking off my rash vest 1 minute 15 seconds. So in that time you have got out of your back zip, driven home and opened your first can of beer?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I just make the observation that on the internet, everyone gets out of their chest zips effortlessly.

In real life all you see are wrestling matches and seams wearing out in a year because of frustrated hands tearing at them.

Meanwhile, one zip and I'm free as a bird baby.
Both ways.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Do people still wear rash vests?
perish the thought of wearing my Patagucci with its recycled plastic bottle lining without rash vest and speedos. Am I the only one who wears speedos under their wetties nowadays? I notice most people seem to use these mexican poncho changing things to change so I am not aware of their underwear habits.

PS. the times I quoted to get in and out of my wettie did not include putting on and taking off speedos. I only realised that I was going to have to include time to get the rashy on was after I started the stop watch on my phone, because with my routine wettie goes on up to waist, before I put the rashie on and it comes off and placed in my bucket before I peel the rest of my wettie off when getting out.

Reactions: Aruka

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
you're supposed to go naked under the suit, girls can wear a bikini top

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Rash vests can be great. I remember the time I saw a hot as bodyboarder chick at Greenmount with a rash vest, no bikini top underneath, post surf in frigid morning air temps.....ah good times.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Just pulled the trigger on the Body Glove 5/4/3 hooded RedCell. $100 off list price, seems very flexible, a little worried about the fit over my right shoulder, hope it will break-in. Supposed to have solid waves tomorrow so will report back, an expensive R&D session; water temp 41 degrees. Funny how this suit/tech seems off the radar, maybe find out why tomorrow...yikes