Best Fullsuit?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Just pulled the trigger on the Body Glove 5/4/3 hooded RedCell. $100 off list price, seems very flexible, a little worried about the fit over my right shoulder, hope it will break-in. Supposed to have solid waves tomorrow so will report back, an expensive R&D session; water temp 41 degrees. Funny how this suit/tech seems off the radar, maybe find out why tomorrow...yikes
41 degrees = 5 celsius :eek: I would have thought 6mm needed. Gets down to about 13 celsius here and early morning I'm putting a 5mm hooded on.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I'm in an argumentative mood today :D timed myself getting into my dry excel chest zip, 3/2 steamer this morning. One and a half minutes, no rushing, included putting on my rash vest. I concede you are almost certainly a faster paddler than me.

Timed myself getting out of it post surf this morning. No rushing, including taking off my rash vest 1 minute 15 seconds. So in that time you have got out of your back zip, driven home and opened your first can of beer?
Got another time for getting into a dry Billabong 3/2 chest zip steamer from yesterdays second session. No rushing, no risking tearing rubber or damaging seams. Time to get in includes putting on a rash vest and additional crotch adjustments which my excel does not need - 1 minute 35 seconds.

Bought super cheap, old model at end of summer sale with funny colours that no one wanted. The advantage of buying cheap summer wetties is that I can justify purchasing 2 or 3 of them, always have a dry one to put on. Paying for warmest most flexible, not an issue with summer temperatures and 3mm rubber.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
41 degrees = 5 celsius :eek: I would have thought 6mm needed. Gets down to about 13 celsius here and early morning I'm putting a 5mm hooded on.
My core and limbs stay pretty warm, it's the feet and hands that get me. Been using RipCurl Dawn Patrol 5/4 in similar conditions and has worked nicely and with better flexibility than 6/5.

Can't wait to see if this RedCell stuff improves warmth overall. I like the fact that it goes from ankle to shoulders and is also in the hood.

Reactions: Mr J

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Body Glove is owned by Marquee Brands. They also own Martha Stewarts brand, Emril Lagasse, A Pea in the Pod Maternity, ect....
they own dakine too but I'll give them a pass, use their backpacks and board bags.

Reactions: jkb

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Body Glove is owned by Marquee Brands. They also own Martha Stewarts brand, Emril Lagasse, A Pea in the Pod Maternity, ect....
Well now that is disheartening had I known I would have skipped the purchase.

So the wetsuit was okay, surfed it below the rating: 41 degree water and 31 degree air. It held up okay, but I think my Rip Curl Dawn Patrol would have been a little better. It's flexible easy on and off in my opinion.
3.5 stars out of 5.

At the same time I purchased the suit I got the Body Glove 7mm RedCell booties, they have the Solite thing going on. They are awful! RedCell insulation from top of booties down to ankle, the foot bed does not seem to have any insulation and when you kick, yeah a habit I have when paddling into waves, top of your foot slaps against the bootie and does not feel good at all.
1 star out of 5.

I think the thing to do is get the cheapest suit and be surprised vs. getting an expensive suit and questioning why it was so expensive.

Reactions: LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
You can find better deals on the net than 100 off an overpriced $400 dollar suit. Wait till the spring/summer when prices drop or on Black Monday to score the dealz :shaka:
Google shopping is your friend

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Xcel 7mm Drylock mittens (and boots) work really well. The mittens especially stopped the issue of that moment in the shower when the feeling starts coming back into your hands and it hurts like hell. Highly recommended.

My core and limbs stay pretty warm, it's the feet and hands that get me. Been using RipCurl Dawn Patrol 5/4 in similar conditions and has worked nicely and with better flexibility than 6/5.

Can't wait to see if this RedCell stuff improves warmth overall. I like the fact that it goes from ankle to shoulders and is also in the hood.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Have some Xcel 7mm size medium mittens if you want, they’ve been in the water maybe once. Just remember struggling to get them on and opting for the 5mm gloves instead. Don’t live in the bitter cold anymore and can let you have them for $20 plus $5 shipping depending where you are located

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Just tried on a 4/3+ O'Neill Hyperfreak C/Z. Most comfortable wettie I've ever worn.

Seriously considering for my next winter suit.
I have front zip 3mm and love it holding up good 2nd winter plenty warmth only notice when its windy.

Reactions: Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I have front zip 3mm and love it holding up good 2nd winter plenty warmth only notice when its windy.
What sort of water temps?

We generally get down to 52-53F in winter, but the wind is an issue. Cleanline surf seemed to find them very warm, and they're in Oregon, so I'm hopeful for the 4/3+.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
What sort of water temps?

We generally get down to 52-53F in winter, but the wind is an issue. Cleanline surf seemed to find them very warm, and they're in Oregon, so I'm hopeful for the 4/3+.
Low 50z to mid 50z Northern part of So CA 805 and central coast....Suit has nice seams and super flexible. I think wind factor comes in play during long lulls.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Looking for a nice, stretchy 2 mil full with Spring upon us. My Vissla is still serviceable from a couple seasons ago.

Was hoping to talk with folks at the Del Mar event.. will this current news squash that?

Sidenote: Gary, I won't accept your advice because you wear a 4/3 year-around in San Diego.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
That looks sick SBD,

but only available in xs.

I'm not Skully!! :cursing: