Best Ear Plugs

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Doc's is all I know, and they've worked great for me.

I took the time to get sized right. There was a dive shop near my house that had the sizing kit. I had the same pair for years since I started surfing and only replaced them a couple months ago. They never fall out, so I don't use the leash.
The rubber becomes hard and does not fit ear drum as well after year or a least my experience with docs and replaced yearly. :shrug:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I dont know how anyone can surf with plugs that do not let sound in. Really throws me off.
I like the SurfEars best of the OTC ones. With their latest version (3.0?), I haven't quite been able to dial in the fit on my right ear as well, feels like I'm right between their medium and large size piece. May consider those fancy custom ones for next winter.

Just started wearing a hood occasionally. Do you guys double up with plugs and hood, or just hood?

edit: I did try the JBL hydro seals last year, and thought they were pretty comfortable for the low price, tho not as easy to hear. but lost one after 2nd session (on land/ at the car). I forget where I got them but might try to find another set.
I also tried these. Doc's ProPlugs - Preformed Protective Vented Earplugs (pair) Clear With Leash
they were awful, didn't stay in for me.

@sdsrfr I would say you hear 60+% with SE. I have never had one pop out in the water, but the leash is really unobtrusive and thin.

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Thanks for all the feedback guys!
if u already have the proplugs and u can get them in ur ear, just use those for now. i went down the rabbit hole of $$ earplugs and had fit issues etc. went back to proplugs. no issues while some freinds of mine who went without plugs have lots of ear problems.

ir ur scared of them popping off, get a set of these:

1674066322884.png

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
can you hear normal with surf ears?

don’t like earplug leashes.

can you go without it or do they fall out a lot?
You hear pretty good with them on.only time i notice sound reduction is when someone is trying to talk to me from a distance. They will potentially fall out if you slam , but i prefer using the bigger plug and having sit more outside the ear canal

Reactions: MathDebater

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I dont know how anyone can surf with plugs that do not let sound in. Really throws me off.
I like the SurfEars best of the OTC ones. With their latest version (3.0?), I haven't quite been able to dial in the fit on my right ear as well, feels like I'm right between their medium and large size piece. May consider those fancy custom ones for next winter.

Just started wearing a hood occasionally. Do you guys double up with plugs and hood, or just hood?
Bigger is better with surfer ears since they sit so far inside your ear canal gives you more plug to grip to remove and also seals ear canal better.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Just gonna roll with Docs for now and see how they work. If they don’t agree with me, I’ll drop more coin for SurfEars.
Score swivel hook looped in middle of leash attached to zipper "front" suit and you well never lose your plugs:cheers:

Reactions: JDJ

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
this looks like a $30 OTC plug by the same ADV co that does the customs: ADV. Eartune Aqua Universal-fit
good reviews.

Meanwhile, this looks like a straight rip-off of SurfEars for $32... with bad reviews. LOL
Sunay 3.0 Pro Ear Plugs

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
if u already have the proplugs and u can get them in ur ear, just use those for now. i went down the rabbit hole of $$ earplugs and had fit issues etc. went back to proplugs. no issues while some freinds of mine who went without plugs have lots of ear problems.

ir ur scared of them popping off, get a set of these:

View attachment 146249
I had the Ear Muffs when I lived in Santa Cruz one winter. They had a tendency to slip down over your eyes blindfold like while in the barrel or coming out.
once a group of groms paddle out and the fat loud mouth of the group started mocking my muffs. I burned him and then paddle over to him and apologized explaining that I couldn’t hear him because of the muffs.
looks like someone improved on the design.:toilet:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
This morning I talked with (probably yelled, since I had my Mack's silicone plugs in) with a local who had a Hydro Seal in his left ear and an Eartune in his right. He said the Hydro Seal was the most comfortable, but he's lost two in the last couple of weeks in bad wipeouts. He lost one Eartune, hence the mismatched pair.

Another guy I know swore by his CVS brand blue and yellow ones that he rips the cord off of. I have incoming Hydro Seals, but have a feeling I'll be back to my Mack's silicone ones I've been using for decades.

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
The Hydro Seals were a bust for me. I was pretty excited to use them since they seemed comfortable when I tried them on and I could hear ok. On my first duckdive I felt water seep in, so I took the plug out to reseat it. I pushed through the back on a closeout and felt the same thing in the same ear.

At this point I had decided they were going to be returned. They were bugging the sh^t out of me since I could feel a little bit of water in both ears. I decided I had enough and was going to put them under my wrist cuff.

I guess my hands were a little cold and my dexterity wasn't the best, but when I went to put the first one under my right cuff (I had a watch under my left and I'm right handed) the slippery lil' bugger fell and sank like a lead weight.

I'm back on the Mack's silicone program.

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
This morning I talked with (probably yelled, since I had my Mack's silicone plugs in) with a local who had a Hydro Seal in his left ear and an Eartune in his right. He said the Hydro Seal was the most comfortable, but he's lost two in the last couple of weeks in bad wipeouts. He lost one Eartune, hence the mismatched pair.

Another guy I know swore by his CVS brand blue and yellow ones that he rips the cord off of. I have incoming Hydro Seals, but have a feeling I'll be back to my Mack's silicone ones I've been using for decades.
Even if a little bit of water gets in, I believe they will still protect against the wind, which is the cause of surfer's ear.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
True but if you already have surfers ear, the water that goes in often gets trapped.

The silicon ones have the beast seal for me. That and some pre-emptive 50% alcohol/50% vinegar solution usually keeps me out of trouble since having one ear chipped out years ago.

Even if a little bit of water gets in, I believe they will still protect against the wind, which is the cause of surfer's ear.

Reactions: rowjimmytour