Best Ear Plugs

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
True but if you already have surfers ear, the water that goes in often gets trapped.

The silicon ones have the beast seal for me. That and some pre-emptive 50% alcohol/50% vinegar solution usually keeps me out of trouble since having one ear chipped out years ago.
Got it. Makes sense if you already have it.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Even if a little bit of water gets in, I believe they will still protect against the wind, which is the cause of surfer's ear.
Wrong. Was recently at ENT and he said it is cold water that does it. Not water- in Hawaii it is not a problem (for surfers). Not cold- it is not a problem in Minneasota (there’s cold wind all winter). It is COLD WATER.

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Been using hydroseals over the last few weeks and have been pretty satisfied with their performance.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Anyone ever had docs plugs(or other) forced too far in to get out?
I know it's not likely but I don't know, the ocean can really do some crazy stuff sometimes, I've stuck some pretty big stuff in my ear before, not to be to kinky or nuthin' but that's a thing I've done.?:shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Wrong. Was recently at ENT and he said it is cold water that does it. Not water- in Hawaii it is not a problem (for surfers). Not cold- it is not a problem in Minneasota (there’s cold wind all winter). It is COLD WATER.
I know ENTs who have seen extostosis in surfers who have never surfed in cold water - though not to the degree of severity in cold water surfers.

Also, how does one separate cold water from evaporative cooling due to airflow? (answer: you can't)

Reactions: jkb

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
I just use the macks, soft moldable silicone putty ones. It's pretty much what everyone I know uses. If you lose a plug or they get nasty you can just pop in a new pair, no biggie. I tried a few different fancy plug types but they always felt like they didnt fit me quite right. The purple aqua block ones felt like they were trying to burrow into my brain- not a fan.

The putty ones might not work for you since you're probably not wearing a hood. I'm still looking for something that will stay put when I'm traveling and surfing warmer waters without a hood.

Someone mentioned these being good a while ago and I'm gonna give them a try at some point.
JBL Hydro Seal
Ah yes! I had a pair of these that I ended up losing somewhere out of the water and could not, for the life of me, remember what the brand was. :cheers:

Also +1 for Docs pro plugs, no leash

Reactions: jkb

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Went out this afternoon with my tried and true Mack’s silicone. Why do I try to use anything else?

Best waves in a month by far. It was a little inconsistent for how short the interval was, but about as rippable as it gets around me.

Lightning and hail made it an extra interesting experience,. A strike happened pretty damn close to me. We were warned by LACLA that the beaches were closed from Pt. Fermin to Will Rodgers, but the lifeguard acknowledged how good it was and just said what he needed to say.

A strike hit probably 150 yards away and my toes are still tingling and my heart felt like it missed a beat or two. I got my best barrel in probably a month so I was still stocked on the session despite marble-sized hail doing the top of my ears in.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I know it's not likely but I don't know, the ocean can really do some crazy stuff sometimes, I've stuck some pretty big stuff in my ear before, not to be to kinky or nuthin' but that's a thing I've done.?:shrug:
they dont go that far into the canal to get stuck

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
My least favorite of the different ones I tried… plus I kept loosing them in the water.

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour