best beach break DD

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
JS Monsta or Black Box (depending on location)
CI Neckbeard 2
Lost Baby Buggy or Sub Driver
HS Hypto or Untitled
Chilli Churro

Or check with a local shaper. With beach breaks I reckon local guys can be better quite often as the conditions are so varied.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
It's been pretty good in LA's South Bay beach breaks the last couple of weeks and I started grabbing my 5'11 CI Fever in Spine-Tek over my 5' 9” CI Neck Beard 2 in Varial. I forgot how good the Fever is at almost everything from waist to 3-4' overhead.
My friend surfed a fever in everything
Waist to OH
Think he's got a flyer for smaller stuff but said fever worked great

Lost Uber driver
Or Sub driver if you're feeling more active

Reactions: Aruka and ChaseTMP

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
My current favourite DD for steep beachbreak conditions, is the JS Monstabox 2020. I have it in PU, but wish I had it in the Hyfi. I found it better than the Phantom, which I also loved, but I think it pivots better, while the Phantom was better suited to down the line waves.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My current favourite DD for steep beachbreak conditions, is the JS Monstabox 2020. I have it in PU, but wish I had it in the Hyfi. I found it better than the Phantom, which I also loved, but I think it pivots better, while the Phantom was better suited to down the line waves.
Did you size them pretty similarly?

I have always gotten on well with JS boards but haven't tried a Monstabox. I have the Psycho Nitro in HyFi tho which I quite like.

Last edited:
Reactions: waxfoot

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Did you size them pretty similarly?

I haven always gotten on well with JS boards but haven't tried a Monstabox. I have the Psycho Nitro in HyFi tho which I quite like.
Similar, but to be completely transparent, the JS has slightly blown up dims as I went for the "Easyrider" (read: fat bastard) dims at the same length board. The Phantom was 5.10, 19 1/2, 2 1/2, where the Monstabox is 5.10, 19 5/8, 2 9/16. This means that the JS has about 1L more volume.

I have read and heard some feedback that some claim the new Monstabox 2020 is worse than the previous, but this is was my first Monstabox (and first JS in general) so can't comment on it. I think Noel Salad said something similar.

One thing I would say, is that that the Monstabox is slightly more fin sensitive than the Phantom. Anything that I put in the Phantom just felt right / the same as any other one put in, whereas the JS is this wasn't quite thew case, and I settled on the Mick Fanning sides, with the AM2 air-core centre fin.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Similar, but to be completely transparent, the JS has slightly blown up dims as I went for the "Easyrider" (read: fat bastard) dims at the same length board. The Phantom was 5.10, 19 1/2, 2 1/2, where the Monstabox is 5.10, 19 5/8, 2 9/16. This means that the JS has about 1L more volume.

I have read and heard some feedback that some claim the new Monstabox 2020 is worse than the previous, but this is was my first Monstabox (and first JS in general) so can't comment on it. I think Noel Salad said something similar.

One thing I would say, is that that the Monstabox is slightly more fin sensitive than the Phantom. Anything that I put in the Phantom just felt right / the same as any other one put in, whereas the JS is this wasn't quite thew case, and I settled on the Mick Fanning sides, with the AM2 air-core centre fin.
Copy. Yeah the older monstabox swallow tail always looked tempting to me. Stock dims wise I end up having to go a bit shorter than my height but I think for a step down type board that's okay. I'll check the Noel Salad review hah

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
How is it in tubes?
Looked solid from what i've seen. A fast/versatile dd in a range of size like the OP was asking for. I don't own one but looks like it fits the bill. That Wooly review guy thought it sat pretty good in the tube. @waxurDyl might have some insight if he has had his out much.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I've got the old 1.0 version. (6'0 19 3/4 2 1/2) It's a super allrounder with a massive range. 1-6ft (Aus/NZ, not US).
that's what i had too. btw, JS measures over curve so 6'0 was actually like 5'11. dunno if they changed anything. stamps shadow and giggle box both go better tho but i wouldnt mind another 1.0 ver monsta box.

Reactions: trifish

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
You have a Shadow also right? Does the lowend feel similar between the two?
I'd give the shadow / phantom the nod on weaker waves TBH. Not substantially better but noticeably better.

On paper, the pyzalien should be better, and a lot of people make it work, but for me, I just struggle on the board unless there is some real push.

Nov 25, 2020
I keep going back to the pjhp ... I got it at 30 l /5'8 and I'm 5-7 /165 ... I go vertical, pocket Surf and am I able to drop into pretty much any barrel under head and a half. This weekend I had one of the heaviest carves I think I've ever had on a board. I've tried it as a Thruster, spent a summer with it as a 2 + 1 but my favorite is a quad with slightly raked fins- right now the superbrand quads in large

Reactions: cjs2002