Best 70's rock bands

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
The Southern rock bands of the 70's were pretty big underground competitors to most other mainstream rock at the time. Our surf crew was into them quite a bit, compared to most arena/big hair/glam rock bands getting majority attention at the time. Lots of true gems can be dug out of most of them. Many are forgotten or not so PC anymore, but that was then.

Here's an interesting cover that is pretty damn cool.....

Aussie redneck headbangers.

You can add Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Bro's, Charlie Daniels and a bunch more, but these above are less known/played.
I really liked Marshall Tucker Band.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
One thing that was great was the affordability of live music. I saw Led Zep for 8 bucks (about $40 in today's dollars) at the SD Sports Arena in '75. They used to have big multi-band shows at Balboa Stadium like Chicago, Santana and Honk, or Allman Bros, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the Outlaws, or Rod Stewart and Faces, Fleetwood Mac, and Loggins and Messina for about $10; most concerts were in the $5 to $10 range throughout the 70s.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Want to hear best 70s best rock bands that you think of.

Era I did not experience but looking for good bands for download.
Hard to define rock.
Scorpions (strong contenders through the decade, specially with Michael Shenker)
Pre Cat Scratch Nugent (out of it by end of decade)
Judas Priest (started round 73)
Aerosmith (made it through the whole decade)
UFO (made it to the end of the decade)
Stones (went quiet 76-80, STILL going)

Southern Rock
Johnny Winter
Outlaws (how can you not rock with 3 guitars?)
Skynrd

Cal Jam '73 at Ontario speedway?
Anybody catch the Sabbath, Nugent, Scorpions stadium tour at the Big A?

Mostly Rock
Santana (still going)
Journey (yah, yah, yah. Still, they were huge)

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
One thing that was great was the affordability of live music. I saw Led Zep for 8 bucks (about $40 in today's dollars) at the SD Sports Arena in '75. They used to have big multi-band shows at Balboa Stadium like Chicago, Santana and Honk, or Allman Bros, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the Outlaws, or Rod Stewart and Faces, Fleetwood Mac, and Loggins and Messina for about $10; most concerts were in the $5 to $10 range throughout the 70s.
I don't remember the prices but I was poor and saw a lot of shows. I recently decided I would surprise my wife and buy some Clapton tickets. Yike$$$$! Wish I went to more concerts back then.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Members of Pink Floyd were blowing minds in the early '60s but they didn't stop there. Concept albums by '60s bands were big in the '70s--bands like Floyd, Rush, the Who and on and on. Electronica took off in that decade. Stevie Wonder most smoothly incorporated synths into his sound. My tastes skewed to the harder contributions early on. Over the years since, a lot of the softer offerings crept into what I will call my heart--Rafferty, Nilsson, Young, John, etc.--songs, not chord progressions. Former Beatles were doing solo albums. Benefit concerts went global. Don't leave out fusion with practitioners like Steely Dan.

Sorry, it's like you had to have been there to fully appreciate all of the upheaval and improvements to the overall sonic environment. Thanks, psychoactives.

...often an opener during 1974 tour of Dylan and The Band

Last edited: