Best 70's rock bands

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
Want to hear best 70s best rock bands that you think of.

Era I did not experience but looking for good bands for download.

MANdingo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 18, 2009
Mexico
That started in the 70s or had great albums? If it´s bands that had great albums in the 70s then the Stones are it for me (amongst a sh!t ton of others). Sticky Fingers then Exile on Mainstreet followed by Some Girls is pretty hard to beat.

Reactions: Chocki

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
The Southern rock bands of the 70's were pretty big underground competitors to most other mainstream rock at the time. Our surf crew was into them quite a bit, compared to most arena/big hair/glam rock bands getting majority attention at the time. Lots of true gems can be dug out of most of them. Many are forgotten or not so PC anymore, but that was then.

Here's an interesting cover that is pretty damn cool.....

Aussie redneck headbangers.

You can add Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Bro's, Charlie Daniels and a bunch more, but these above are less known/played.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Then the late 70's came along and new sounds were crawling out of the LA and other urban crevices...

Seeing these guys live at the Palace in LA (in 80's though) was non-stop energy.

Quite a change from the 70's vibe.

Ya, crossing over from Southern Rock to punk/new wave was quite the life changer.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I was in middle school and high school in the 70's (class of 79) so that's my time. For me it was the Stones. I had a buddy who was into Led Zep and we used to argue who was better- Mick Taylor or Jimmy Page. I would say Page was sloppy and he would say Taylor just played scales. Both were great. We didn't argue about Keith- we agreed he was the best rhythm guitar player ever.

There were lots of others. I never liked the fancy stiff that came out around then- ELP, Yes, etc. I liked Aerosmith. They were kind of like a poor man's Rolling Stones. I didn't get into Pink Floyd and the Allman Brothers until later. But once the 80's hit it was all about LA punk....

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
A lot of the great rock bands petered out in the late '70s. Led Zep, The Who, Stones, Allman Bros, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, etc. were all past their prime by 76 or 77. Those late '70s were dominated by Disco - dark days indeed. Looming over the disco horizon: Punk!

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
One thing that was great was the affordability of live music. I saw Led Zep for 8 bucks (about $40 in today's dollars) at the SD Sports Arena in '75. They used to have big multi-band shows at Balboa Stadium like Chicago, Santana and Honk, or Allman Bros, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the Outlaws, or Rod Stewart and Faces, Fleetwood Mac, and Loggins and Messina for about $10; most concerts were in the $5 to $10 range throughout the 70s.