Becoming an older surfer

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I got to the point where i realized that i needed to take a break from social media ... not just the erbb but Instagram, FB, etc. It didn't take long for the stress levels to drop ... i had no idea how much it creates until i walked away. The longer i stayed away the better i felt. I've found that the best thing about getting older is that you finally figure out that you don't have to prove anything, need attention or have to give a f*ck about what other people think to be happy. Mrs. Flyinraptr and I are on our own journey .... we've been through some intense sh!t and now just living our lives in peace. I hope all is well with you.

Made me think of

1694803533211.png

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
There are two types of back-paddlers - the entitled advanced or older surfer and the adult learner. The solution with the former is to hassle him - sit on him, get in his way when he paddles through everyone else, back-paddle him too. You might be able to have a friendly conversation with the latter about his manners. If that fails, burn him.
If you come here and try your entitled tactic, I can promise you will not be leaving happily.
:waving:

Reactions: flyinraptr

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
If you come here and try your entitled tactic, I can promise you will not be leaving happily.
:waving:
The problem is (around here anyway) that no one really has surfing etiquette as it exists in surfier zones, and most of the guys that enforced what little of it did exist and/or were scary/nutters are gone. In the rare event there is (non-passive-aggressive) hostility in the water no one gets behind it regardless of the nature of the transgression -- aggressive and territorial behavior seems incomprehensible to those who have never been punched in the face. I don't know if true localism still exists elsewhere, but there was just so much more violence (and order) back in the late 1900s.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I've surfed 2-6 days a week since I was five years old. I am now closer to 70 than I am to 60. Most of the time I'm riding a 6'-6'2". I surfed well going into my 50's. Still have good days by mid 80's standards. But I make mistakes now that I never did previously. Primarily on takeoff. I've talked with a number of my childhood surf heroes and everyone says the same thing. Coming to your feet, the first thing you learned, is the first thing that goes. Which is humiliating. On a little board, hitting your spot and nailing that first turn is everything. Or a lot anyway.

My MA training is good for surfing. My reasons for still training have nothing to do with fighting anymore. Reflexes, balance and flexibility in one package. My tip for the popup is get yourself an WaveStorm. Cut it off to the length of your favorite shortboard and take the fins off. Throw the thing on the garage floor and pop up. 20 times. If you can nail 20, everything is working. The fatigue on rep 19 makes it more difficult. If you are screwing up your foot placement, stop. Quality reps. Put good stuff into muscle memory. Not sloppy. That and I got a paddle board. I only go at most about five miles. Sometimes less.

Waves of serious consequence are kind of off the menu now. I make mistakes I am not willing to pay for. That stings a little. But, got to be grateful for the run that you had.

Like I said, it's humiliating to have to work on things you did most of your life without effort/thought. But, a little humility is good for us. I'm not surfing much lately. My life has gotten messy with my father's death. I'm hoping to get things done and organized so I can go get the last few years I can squeeze out. My father rode his last wave in his 80's. But whatever. I've had a really good run. Over 60 years of surfing. It can all end tomorrow and I wouldn't regret a thing. I really need to kill my ego going forward. I've tried, but the MF'er won't die. Time will tell...
I don't want to hear your excuses: (edit: this joke fell flat)

The problem is (around here anyway) that no one really has surfing etiquette as it exists in surfier zones, and most of the guys that enforced what little of it did exist and/or were scary/nutters are gone. In the rare event there is (non-passive-aggressive) hostility in the water no one gets behind it regardless of the nature of the transgression -- aggressive and territorial behavior seems incomprehensible to those who have never been punched in the face. I don't know if true localism still exists elsewhere, but there was just so much more violence (and order) back in the late 1900s.
Treat it like a water polo game.

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Paddled out at a right point, normally very competitive.

It twas small, onshore, but still crowded.

Managed to get my Dale Webster minimum 3 and got out in less than an hour.

It didn't hurt too bad ..... but it does now.

:bricks::roflmao:

Reactions: Havoc

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Some of you guys in windy areas should try wingfoiling. Jeff Clark is supposedly doing it now. I see plenty of old guys doing it.
This is the way

I’ve just lost some interest in surfing unless the waves are really really good.

On a foil- the waves last five times as long and you go twice as fast and also don’t need waves to have fun.

no hassling with a crowd, no jockeying for position, just waist high swells and rides for miles.

Im glad everyone thinks it’s lame and it’s extremely difficult to learn. It’s what surfing at one time was.

No chance of it getting filled up with wavestorms

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
My tolerance for poor surfing manners is at an all-time low. After this last run of waves and a series of interactions with the unwashed masses, I may have to quit surfing again.
About a month ago I was the only one out at a shitty L.A. spot that I love for some reason. Then some guy paddles out and sits directly to my right (It's a right point) and of course goes for the first wave that comes along. I should mention that there was like one rideable wave every ten minutes. Then he paddles straight band out and tries it again. I managed to glare him away (I can look really creepy if I put my mind to it :roflmao: ), but then one of the regulars comes out, sits directly to my left, strikes up a friendly conversation then proceeds to drop in on me twice in a row.:foreheadslap:

I just can't with this shite anymore. It's a complete waste of time to get up at 4am, paddle out before first light, and get nothing but scraps because some entitled, oblivious wankstain decides all your waves are belong to them. It's just gross.

And someone mentioned people that shouldn't be in the ocean . . . I have a neighbor who wants me to teach her to surf. I've actually taken her a few times. Then she admits to me that she's terrified of swimming in the ocean and panics if her feet can't touch the bottom! I wonder how many people like this are out there, and how many of us will die trying to save their panicky asses?

I'm just bitter because I missed surfing Friday for no good reason other than I couldn't sleep.:violin:

But seriously, fook this :poop:

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
My last few boards are extra thick for more floatation. At age 69 I use either my 7'10" or my 6'9" extra thick boards. I am now thinking of making my 3rd board, 7' long, 22" wide, 3.5" thick, my own airbrush artwork, 3 layers of cloth on deck and 2 layers on the bottom. I have adopted the easier 2-step (chicken wing) pop up. My daily ritual in retirement is a 2.4 mile jog around my neighborhood almost every morning, takes between 25 and 27 minutes. I skip jogging about 2 days per month. Jogging is an out-of-body experience for me. I don't jog on days when I go surfing or when I do gardening or yard work. I prefer 4 to 6 foot swells. I like to do sit ups and yoga stretching on the floor in front of the TV, but I can no longer do a full push up, so I do 3/4 push ups, and isometric exercises on the steering wheel of my car while driving. I'm also strict in my diet. We are HOW we eat.

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Somewhere there is a line between well conditioned and over conditioned. I’ve always had problems finding that line. I once had a shaper write “Too much ain’t enough“ on my blank next to my name. I think he was trying to tell me something?
:cautious:

Reactions: freeride76