Beautiful Central California

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
I have to agree with Aruka and Santacruzin, I was going to post something similar. And I'll be the first to admit I've posted stuff I shouldn't have. You could make the argument that all this doesn't add to the crowd factor, but why take a chance? The way things have become over the last few years I'd rather play it safe than throw fuel on the fire, it serves no purpose really. The mod that took down the other thread I totally understand why, his zone went from a small handful of locals to 20 guys out on crap days. So yeah there's no secret spots left in California but we can still keep thing on the down low and keep the masses away.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Everything exists on a spectrum. You're right that keeping things on the low is a good idea, regarding crowds. It isn't zero or ten though, some things are twos and threes. That has been lost in the all or nothing, good or evil, black and white way we do things today.
Sharing pictures and stories about cold water super inconsistent major commitment surf places on a BB forum from a defunct print mag to the point of finding others who have shared the same experience in those spots is, generosly, a two.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have to agree with Aruka and Santacruzin, I was going to post something similar. And I'll be the first to admit I've posted stuff I shouldn't have. You could make the argument that all this doesn't add to the crowd factor, but why take a chance? The way things have become over the last few years I'd rather play it safe than throw fuel on the fire, it serves no purpose really. The mod that took down the other thread I totally understand why, his zone went from a small handful of locals to 20 guys out on crap days. So yeah there's no secret spots left in California but we can still keep thing on the down low and keep the masses away.
Beautiful spring morning. Only hint is it's between Partington Cove and the De Angulo trailhead.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 11.35.28 AM.png

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I want to play too, trying to show "my" spot but the files are too large for the shltty eastern block server...

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
I understand what you're saying stringcheese, but we can only guess how this affects things, so again why chance it, and what are you gaining from this?

And casa I'm fine with photos that don't give away the spot

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I understand what you're saying stringcheese, but we can only guess how this affects things, so again why chance it, and what are you gaining from this?

And casa I'm fine with photos that don't give away the spot
I get discussion from it. This being the surfer discussion forum, that is something of the point, no? Very few surfers in my real social circle can talk about these places, because most are pussies and won't go north of Cayucos pier or even surf sewers because "people are mean there" and "there are a lot of rocks".
My point is, what spots are you talking about giving away? Willow Creek? San Simeon point? Fullers? What part of any of this is secret? We all already know, and we are the only ones here looking. It's not like this is posting a picture of an actual good hidden spot on a cal poly Instagram page.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
We rolled up to this spot one afternoon as an older kneeboarder gentleman was exiting.

He mumbled it was called "Steakum's".

We spent 2 hours alone, calling each other into spitting right tunnels.

Back at the car my buddy had forgot to lock his door...and someone had entered the vehicle and smeared sh!t all over the inside of the windshield.

Let's just say we had a messy hell of a time getting it off using a free AZHIAZIAM tshirt we got back in Morro Bay.

I can't help but wonder if that salty old kneeboarder had something to do with it.:shrug:

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 11.50.10 AM.png

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
What part of any of this is secret? We all already know, and we are the only ones here looking. It's not like this is posting a picture of an actual good hidden spot on a cal poly Instagram page.
Like I said there are basically no secrets left, my only point is the less it's discussed the better, but if you see things differently that's ok. All I know is I hate surfing with people, and the less I see of you bastards the better!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Surf schools add more people in the water and causes intermediate surfers to go look elsewhere, for more secluded or "secret" spots for waves.

Santa Cruz probably has more surf schools per capita than just about anywhere in California. This is the problem of clogging up central California waves more than posting pics and naming spots here.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
We rolled up to this spot one afternoon as an older kneeboarder gentleman was exiting.

He mumbled it was called "Steakum's".

We spent 2 hours alone, calling each other into spitting right tunnels.

Back at the car my buddy had forgot to lock his door...and someone had entered the vehicle and smeared sh!t all over the inside of the windshield.

Let's just say we had a messy hell of a time getting it off using a free AZHIAZIAM tshirt we got back in Morro Bay.

I can't help but wonder if that salty old kneeboarder had something to do with it.:shrug:

View attachment 117599
Hey, at least you had the proper clean up tool :LOL:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Surf schools add more people in the water and causes intermediate surfers to go look elsewhere, for more secluded or "secret" spots for waves.

Santa Cruz probably has more surf schools per capita than just about anywhere in California. This is the problem of clogging up central California waves more than posting pics and naming spots here.

In much the same way that the space race is more responsible for man's presence on the moon than the late night menu at taco bell is.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The reality of Central California is there is much beauty but not really that many waves. It's blown out a *lot* and flat a lot, too. Many spots are super fickle, many are hard to get to, and many are downright dangerous. The popular, easy spots like Pismo and the Rock are almost always shitty. Photogenic spots like "Steakums" are mostly unsurfable, and if it's the place I think it is then down-southers' cars can expect to get decorated.

It's one thing to go there for the beauty and maybe get some waves, but if you go there primarily for the waves you are likely to be severely disappointed.