Barron Mamiya to Channel Islands Surfboards

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I will NOT however, allow some yahoo to call Hobson's and Mussel Shoals, Santa Barbara. :nana:
F*ck!ng have Hobson's. JEEZUS. No worse/slower wave in existence.

And LR aka MS is a fine wave, but I absolutely say it's in Ventucky/Oxtura.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Stab‘s latest episode of How Surfers Get Paid covers this exact topic. And the answer is: virtually no pro is getting paid by their shaper anymore. JJF is the exception and he’s carved out an extremely lucrative deal: he owns a percentage of Pyzel and gets $7-$20 for every Pyzel sold.
Just FYI - those board royalty numbers are not from John john's deal with us, since I know I did not provide them and they are not accurate. I think Stab just got some idea of what other brands had paid in the past and threw that out there. I also know that other brands are paying royalties to surfers for "signature" models that they sell. The days of just giving a surfer a paycheck and hoping that you sell enough boards to cover it are long gone for sure, and we never have done that.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Just FYI - those board royalty numbers are not from John john's deal with us, since I know I did not provide them and they are not accurate. I think Stab just got some idea of what other brands had paid in the past and threw that out there. I also know that other brands are paying royalties to surfers for "signature" models that they sell. The days of just giving a surfer a paycheck and hoping that you sell enough boards to cover it are long gone for sure, and we never have done that.
That compensation makes a lot more sense for board makers with a A level athlete like John. Also is way more equitable for both the Pro and the Shaper.

Reactions: slipped_disc

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
To inadvertently praise Pyzel, I really respected how he offered a piece of the business to JJF. That's integrity and respectable. Have no idea the ins-and-outs of the deal, but respect it nonetheless. JJ is doing things his way now which I really like (examples: MachuPichu and VivoBarefoot as sponsors).

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Thanks for setting the record straight. That makes more sense. This whole time I was wondering: is JJF secretly the most brutal, cutthroat businessman behind closed doors? Royalties on every single Pyzel sold.... and equity in the company seems impossibly hard for any business. Nevertheless, the real deal seems like an excellent business decision for both of you. FWIW, Stab didn't do you dirty on that one. I just misread their factoid.