Barron Mamiya to Channel Islands Surfboards

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I've always wondered if these shapers / board companies pay their top guys a salary, and if so how much?

Just doesnt seem that many board companies have big money to throw at CT level surfers..??..

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
as much as I dislike it, I understand the need for annoying clickbait titles.

what I don't understand is writing an entire article in the same hyperbolic tone.

like, take a fcking breath, chas.

i'm a fan of Barron but this is a mid tier CT'er leaving the most stacked team on the tour.

did he get cut, did he leave on his own? was it amicable, or not?

the article answers none of those basic questions because the extent of the "reporting" is basically two screenshots of an instagram post and a lot of breathless, wild speculation.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I've always wondered if these shapers / board companies pay their top guys a salary, and if so how much?

Just doesnt seem that many board companies have big money to throw at CT level surfers..??..
Stab‘s latest episode of How Surfers Get Paid covers this exact topic. And the answer is: virtually no pro is getting a salary from their shaper anymore. JJF, however, now owns a percentage of Pyzel and gets some royalties.

Last edited:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
as much as I dislike it, I understand the need for annoying clickbait titles.

what I don't understand is writing an entire article in the same hyperbolic tone.

like, take a fcking breath, chas.

i'm a fan of Barron but this is a mid tier CT'er leaving the most stacked team on the tour.

did he get cut, did he leave on his own? was it amicable, or not?

the article answers none of those basic questions because the extent of the "reporting" is basically two screenshots of an instagram post and a lot of breathless, wild speculation.

Leaving a stacked team may be the best for a mid level CTer. He may get more attention and one on one time with Britt sorting boars out. Honeymoon period.

CI looks like it’s having a go into picking up Hawaii talent Imai left his long time Maui shaper KT for CI.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Well, the bottom half of Rincon is still in Ventura.
True. (y)My wife just retired from doing 20+ years of insurance inspections for high value homes and estates in the 805. She always got a kick out of telling the residents South of the river mouth that they are in Ventura county. They'd get angry and argue until they were blue in the face and she'd just smile and show them the assesor's county line on the map.
We've lived in both S.B. and Ventura and love both but still get a kick out of claiming South Rincon as Ventura. I will NOT however, allow some yahoo to call Hobson's and Mussel Shoals, Santa Barbara. :nana:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I heard Sharpeye might start cutting bait.

We'll see if Barron is followed by a few more former teammates.
They have too many riders. Try getting a board from the factory anymore. My first boards took 2-3 weeks. I stopped ordering when the turnaround hit 4 months while they shaped 20 boards for Filipe, 15 for Jett, and god knows how many other rush jobs for their team.

Reactions: keenfish

buttholesurfer

Duke status
Dec 20, 2002
RatBeach
So this whole thread is about someone who decides he wants to ride a different surfboard and surf better than us.Wow!Topics are getting thin around here man.

Reactions: keenfish